Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ls8pilot
Nick wrote:
It is possible to 'T' off the RS232 so you can have the V3+ and an Air Connect which will give you WiFi too.

Nick.

I would think so, you can get a flarm splitter that will allow flarm to drive multiple displays, so if the air connect looks like a display that should work. Talk to Navboys or lxavionics
By MattL
Miscellaneous wrote:
Rob L wrote:But I have 37 aviation applications therein, including these hallowed halls :?

Then I believe Matt is suggesting you should have another tablet dedicated to flying. :wink:

I'm sure he'll be along directly to advise. :D

Yes, I’ve got an iPad mini that I just use as an ‘EFB’ - few aviation apps and doc readers that I trust, it doesn’t have memory rammed with stuff, and is quick and easy to run updates before flying. My other home ipad has all the social media junk etc and gets messed around with by whole family. I know not everyone can afford it, but I think it’s worth the investment in a second / second hand tablet (doesn’t have to be high spec for most of what is required).
gaznav liked this
By TheFarmer
I agree. I’ve got a five year old iPad Mini permanently living in my aircraft. No pop-up notifications from other apps while flying.
gaznav liked this
By BobD
The only issue I have seen is that if you are in range of clubhouse Wi-fi (or perhaps a phone you have previously tethered to) that is a often used network, the the ipad can dump the SkyEcho Wi-fi connection and connect to the club Wi-fi

Another reason why Android is far superior to Ithingy is that there is an App called Wi-Fi Prioritizer which resolves this problem.

Tin hat on...... Incoming! :lol: :lol:
By rikur_
My observations for what they are worth:

1) I've had a dozen or so flights with SE2 with no problems at all - using Skydemon on Nexus 7
2) However over the past year or two prior to getting SE2 I've had various GPS drop out issues that I'd never previously had. For me these have stopped since I moved to using SE2 GPS, (previously using the Nexus 7 internal GPS).
3) My speculation is that there's just a lot more EMI interference in the cockpit nowadays ... smartphones hopping between multiple frequency bands, smartwatches chatting to smartphones, bluetooth headsets, etc ... all add slightly to the risk of delicate GPS signals being swamped out. I have a theory about a particular 4G band being particularly problematic, but I can't prove it.
4) I had to change a setting on my Samsung tablet to get it to remain connected to the SE2. It seemed to object that the SE2 didn't have internet access, and auto switch to a connection that did. (I don't *think* I had to do the same on the Nexus 7, but perhaps I did that when dabbling with PAW in the past)
gaznav, ls8pilot liked this
By exfirepro
ls8pilot wrote:
Nick wrote:
It is possible to 'T' off the RS232 so you can have the V3+ and an Air Connect which will give you WiFi too.

Nick.

I would think so, you can get a flarm splitter that will allow flarm to drive multiple displays, so if the air connect looks like a display that should work. Talk to Navboys or lxavionics

It is also possible to split off the data out from virtually any FLARM device and feed it into PilotAware via an RS232 Serial to USB cable, where the data is then combined by PilotAware and presented to your EFB by WiFi or to an Aircrew display via WiFi or cable. We call this ‘Direct FLARM Integration’ -see the PAW website - https://www.pilotaware.com/documents

@Crash one if you are looking for a hard wired traffic display for PilotAware I can highly recommend Aircrew. It also works with SE2 via WiFi but obviously can’t be hard-wired from SE2 as there are no physical output connectors.

(Apologies for thread drift on this SE2 thread.)

Peter
(PilotAware Development Team)
gaznav, ls8pilot, Crash one liked this