Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gfry
I have tried the SE2 on both the IPAD and Iphone with the same results. I will add that only one device switched on at a time.

In terms of was i getting GPS signal lost and wifi drops at the same time, I dont think so. The error displayed in Skydemon was quiet clear on the issue.

I do not beleive it is my ipad or iphone as the ipad has no issues with other wifi connections as does my phone.

I have placed the SE2 unit on the windowscreen, side window behind P2, side window behind 1 and on the instrument coning. I also cant beleive the GPS would be that sensitive being that my Iphone works in the footwell.

A few minutes searching the web shows that other people have the same issues with SE2, although many appear to be either the original SE or earlier software/firmware on the SE2.
By ls8pilot
mikehallam wrote:Can SE2 just talk to my easy vfr free aviation map on my android mobile.
I.e. a two stop solution and free to use ?

Yes, just tested mine with the free version of easyvfr and it works fine, i couid see traffic around Bristol from Gloucester area.
Cessna571 liked this
By Dave W
Tim Dawson wrote:What exactly is the error you are seeing?

Speaking for myself, not @gfry - the error I see is a SkyDemon banner that refers to "GPS signal lost" (precise wording tbc).

[Edit: This is incorrect in detail, as identified in @Tim Dawson's post below, and is a result of my poor memory. The error message that I see is the "Device Offline..." banner; there is no reference to GPS.]

It then counts up in seconds if the dropout is over a period (10 seconds, maybe?) Have never had a dropout longer than 17 seconds from memory, and typically they appear to be <1 second. Can send files to SD Support if it helps - although it is almost certainly not a SkyDemon issue but a tablet/SE2 issue.

The alert banner does not refer to WiFi, only to GPS signal, and I accept that it is my own interpretation that the issue is an interrupted WiFi connection between the tablet and the SE2, rather than the SE2 GPS itself. This interpretation is because I saw similar behaviour with PilotAware Classic, and for reasons I now forget was pretty convinced that was the WiFi connection.

I expect to be flying at the weekend so will capture an image if I can and send it to you.

Then again, I suppose it might not happen any more as I will be commissioning a new tablet which might be perfect - we never know! :wink:
By Dave W
Indeed. I don't think it's the SE2 GPS, as I say, but it is normally mounted behind me so not that easy to see each time.

Having said that, I have on occasion had it suckered to the windscreen and I have never seen the GPS light red in flight. Also, no indications whenever I have looked on e.g. Flightradar24 that there have been any gaps in emitting ADS-B.

Hence the reasons I am pretty confident that it is not the SE2 GPS that's the issue with dropouts for me.
By Oldfart
Is there any way to increase the size of the target aircraft traffic symbol? ( Not the ownship Skydemon symbol)
I’m using an IPad/ Skydemon, and find the targets get lost in the nav info.
PS I have been using the SE 2 for a month and no “drop outs” noted.
gaznav liked this
By Dave W
Oldfart wrote:Is there any way to increase the size of the target aircraft traffic symbol? ( Not the ownship Skydemon symbol)

There's a thread on the SkyDemon support forums that discusses this, and Tim explains there the logic of why things are as they currently are.
By tnowak
I tested my SE2 in my lounge a few days for a long period (8-10) hours and saw it drop the wifi connection twice.
SD said GPS lost (or words to that effect) but I couldn't figure out what was the issue, SE or SD.

I just restarted SD and SE reconnected straight away.

Real testing yesterday didn't show any issues whatsoever during a 75 min flight. Solid GPS lock and wifi connectivity.

I did speak to LX avionics about the firmware version that came shipped with my SE and they commented that was okay and not to upgrade at the moment.

Regarding battery charging, it took over 12 hrs charging for the blue LED to extinguish. I didn't time it exactly.

If SE is operated in Rx mode only then battery life is in excess of 20 hrs.

Tony
By Tim Dawson
If your SkyEcho 2 has switched off or you've become disconnected from its wifi, SkyDemon will tell you "Device Offline for X Seconds" because we simply haven't heard from it. This is a problematic situation and possibly needs resolving by the user.

If we're still in communication with your SkyEcho 2 but it has temporarily lost its GPS fix, SkyDemon will tell you "GPS Fix Lost".

They are two very different circumstances and I think what we tell the user is clear and informative.
ls8pilot liked this
By defcribed
Tim Dawson wrote:If your SkyEcho 2 has switched off or you've become disconnected from its wifi, SkyDemon will tell you "Device Offline for X Seconds" because we simply haven't heard from it. This is a problematic situation and possibly needs resolving by the user.

If we're still in communication with your SkyEcho 2 but it has temporarily lost its GPS fix, SkyDemon will tell you "GPS Fix Lost".

They are two very different circumstances and I think what we tell the user is clear and informative.

I hope it's not statistically significant, but having happily run SkyDemon for a number of years on the same tablet and never once seen a 'GPS Fix Lost' message, it's a tad concerning that I've seen it on each of my last three flights. Each about 5-10 seconds in duration. No change to tablet location or anything like that.
By TheFarmer
I have to admit, having read this here, and also spoken with someone today who’s getting these problems regularly, my finger is hovering on the REFUND button! :?
By Shoestring Flyer
In my opinion a Wifi Hotspot is not stable enough for signal transmission in an aircraft. Wifi problems abound whoever you talk to whichever EC device you have.
You need something that can be hardwired sending a signal by RS232 to your display.
defcribed liked this
By defcribed
TheFarmer wrote:I have to admit, having read this here, and also spoken with someone today who’s getting these problems regularly, my finger is hovering on the REFUND button! :?

Has yours arrived yet?
By defcribed
Shoestring Flyer wrote:In my opinion a Wifi Hotspot is not stable enough for signal transmission in an aircraft. Wifi problems abound whoever you talk to whichever EC device you have.
You need something that can be hardwired sending a signal by RS232 to your display.

Problem is, if we're going to display our EC information with phones and tablets then we're really limited to WiFi or Bluetooth - neither of which offer especially stable or reliable connections.

You could push something in via the USB-C port, but USB-C connectors are not renowned for staying in place and wires everywhere is generally undesirable.

Portable solutions really have to find a way of making WiFi or Bluetooth do it reliably.