Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By defcribed
thebloke wrote:Do they have to be sent back via the seller e.g. Mendelssohns? I'm assuming there is a statutory guarantee to get a refund if not willing to persevere with it?

Unless uAvionix offer to deal direct then yes, your contract is with the seller rather than the manufacturer. That is who you'd have to return it to.

Regardless of any guarantee offered, you could attempt to exert your statutory rights and return it as 'unfit for purpose' if it keeps dropping out in flight. Depending on the exact circumstances, consumer law may require that you give them an opportunity to repair or replace it before you become entitled to a refund.

Distance selling regs (14 days to change your mind, no reason needed) is another option.

I'd persevere so long as uAvionix are responsive and sensible. The contract may be with the seller, but for non-trivial-costing tech gear most manufacturers understand that they have to engage with end users to some degree. If they just tell you to return it to the seller for a replacement then I'd give that a go. If they just suggest generic solutions like software updates you've already performed and keep stressing that most users do not have this problem, then that's when I'd start thinking about my statutory rights.

The inherent challenge with WiFi is that it's a two-way gig. If your tablet/phone is a bit unstable and tends to drop connections (I've had ones that are, for no reason I've been able to determine) then it might not be the SE2s fault....
By defcribed
@thebloke How will you know if it's 'dropping out'? Dropping out of what? Not sending an ADS-B signal? Unless it is actually faulty, the only logical reason it would do that would be if it didn't have a GPS fix, wouldn't it?
By thebloke
defcribed wrote:@thebloke How will you know if it's 'dropping out'? Dropping out of what? Not sending an ADS-B signal? Unless it is actually faulty, the only logical reason it would do that would be if it didn't have a GPS fix, wouldn't it?

I didn't use the term 'dropping out' so unsure what you refer to? So one can tell it has a GPS fix presumably with one light and is doing its ADSB bit with the other light but to be absolutely sure need to wifi it to something to check?
By Paul_Sengupta
Regarding Wifi drop-outs, sometimes this is to do with the tablet used. Some people have had similar issues with PilotAware, and have found that it's either 1) some sort of wifi power saving on the tablet, or 2) an issue with certain particular tablets, but I can't remember what particularly, always going off and doing a wifi search. I believe there's a way of getting them to stick with a particular wifi connection (an app or something).

mikehallam wrote:Can SE2 just talk to my easy vfr free aviation map on my android mobile.

Yes. EasyVFR free supports both GDL90 and Flarm protocols, so will work with Sky Echo or any which way you'd want to configure PilotAware.
Last edited by Paul_Sengupta on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaznav liked this
By gfry
To clarify what i see with my SE2:

1) It is being used with an IPAD Mini v4 and an Iphone XS

3) I am using Skydemon

4) The SE2 unit loses GPS fix muliple times

5) Wifi connectivity is lost, whether that is the SE2 Unit, device connecting to the SE2 unit or the Nav software having a benny, i have no idea.

6) The SE2 unit is using the latest wifi software and firmware.

All i know is in my 1.6 hour flight yesterday, I gave up with it after 28 minutes as it lost GPS fix 3 times and wifi connectivity twice. During that time i ditched the IPAD and used the Iphone. Eventually I switched SE2 off and configured Skydemon to not use 3rd party devices.
By defcribed
thebloke wrote:I didn't use the term 'dropping out' so unsure what you refer to? So one can tell it has a GPS fix presumably with one light and is doing its ADSB bit with the other light but to be absolutely sure need to wifi it to something to check?

Sorry I'm confused, perhaps I mixed up your question with @gfry 's. What's up with yours?
By defcribed
gfry wrote:The SE2 unit loses GPS fix muliple times

Where's it located? Does it have a decent view of the sky? Is it fixed in place reasonably well?

As @Paul_Sengupta says your WiFi issues could come from either end. Some tablets/phones are just a bit rubbish at maintaining their connection, for reasons I've never been able to determine. Often it can be solved by fiddling with various device options related to how it 'looks' for WiFi connections and maintains them, but specific guidance is beyond what I can offer.

One would presume that with Android modifications can be made to tell it not to drop certain connections under any circumstances. Default settings may include things like dropping if the signal strength goes below a certain level, or if it sees something it thinks might be a better option, or trying for 4G instead. Don't forget that with most tablet/phone use the purpose of the WiFi connection is to connect you to the internet. A device-to-device use of WiFi like this is much less usual, and your device may not really understand the nature of what it's being told to do.
By Paul_Sengupta
gfry wrote:4) The SE2 unit loses GPS fix muliple times

5) Wifi connectivity is lost, whether that is the SE2 Unit, device connecting to the SE2 unit or the Nav software having a benny, i have no idea.

Do these happen at the same time as far as you can tell or are they separate events?
By thebloke
defcribed wrote:
thebloke wrote:I didn't use the term 'dropping out' so unsure what you refer to? So one can tell it has a GPS fix presumably with one light and is doing its ADSB bit with the other light but to be absolutely sure need to wifi it to something to check?

Sorry I'm confused, perhaps I mixed up your question with @gfry 's. What's up with yours?

Not delivered yet but worried I've wasted my cash!
By Full Metal Jackass
thebloke wrote:
defcribed wrote:

Not delivered yet but worried I've wasted my cash!

Don't be worried. There are plenty out there using SE2 and if it was that bad, we would have known. In the real world, even with the best Quality Control, things can go wrong - faulty soldering, etc.

I'm confident that this will probably be a one off, then when you get yours, go flying with passengers, challenge them to see if they can spot aircraft before your SE2 does. Fun for all the family, makes sure more eyes are outside and it's actually fascinating to see just how close an aircraft can be but you never see it.....
By Dave W
@thebloke: I've been using SE2 for a year; you haven't wasted your money.

There are short WiFi dropouts between mine and the tablet, yes, which is irritating but doesn't really affect practical functionality. I have a new tablet now, yet to be tested and we'll see if that improves matters.

One thing that is particularly irritating is that when you select an airfield approach in SkyDemon it resets when a dropout occurs. So it then needs setting up again, and by that time it is getting to be a higher workload closer to the destination; it would be great if SD could perhaps retain a selected approach across dropouts if that is technically possible.

I used PilotAware previously (and still have it); money on that isn't wasted either.
By Full Metal Jackass
gfry wrote:To clarify what i see with my SE2:

1) It is being used with an IPAD Mini v4 and an Iphone XS

3) I am using Skydemon

4) The SE2 unit loses GPS fix muliple times

6) The SE2 unit is using the latest wifi software and firmware.

All i know is in my 1.6 hour flight yesterday, I gave up with it after 28 minutes as it lost GPS fix 3 times and wifi connectivity twice. During that time i ditched the IPAD and used the Iphone. Eventually I switched SE2 off and configured Skydemon to not use 3rd party devices.

From reading this, am I correct in assuming you were using the SE2 only with the iPad and using the internal GPS with the iPhone? If so, what I would recommend you do is do a trial run at home. Put the unit outside with a clear view of the sky and leave it powered up. Turn the iPhone onto flight mode, then activate wifi only to connect to the SE2.

Heck, just to ensure there's no interference in your plane, I'd leave the unit outside with a free view of the air, connect the iPad / iPhone to it and just see whether it loses the GPS fix then. If not, you might need to reposition the unit in the plane.....

See how it works.