Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
BoeingBoy wrote:..Hawarden..fits your bill entirely .. Once on the ground though you will not be allowed landside if you've landed from outside the county.

The cafe is excellent ..

is the (on airport but landside ?) excellent cafe allowed to deliver its excellent food as a takeaway through a 'hole in the fence' (or friendly ground staff) to those stranded airside ? :wink:
@2Donkeys , not an easy one is it!?

Shoreham satisfies most of the list. Decent grub too.

Cardiff possibly, if you go via Aeros and the cafe is open. Gloucester of course has already been mentioned. Bristol of course is ruined by the super expensive handling, though the airside cafe is quite good.

Prestwick has also been mentioned but doesn’t meet your food requirement. Although the handlers will make sure sandwiches are available if you ask up front. The rest of Scotland is probably pushing the boundaries for distance.

Newcastle is great and Samson are superb. Maybe they would run you up to the main terminal and the Double Tree which has a restaurant.

The food requirement matched to the instrument approach is probably the hardest to match sadly.

Have fun!
AndyR wrote:Cardiff possibly, if you go via Aeros and the cafe is open.

I believe it's closed permanently to turn into some sort of private members club.

I don't know if that's a euphemism for strip club.

Besides, the county is in lockdown, you're not supposed to enter or leave it.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
AndyR wrote:Cardiff possibly, if you go via Aeros and the cafe is open.

I believe it's closed permanently to turn into some sort of private members club.

I don't know if that's a euphemism for strip club.

Sadly I had heard the same. Cardiff was a great IFR destination that hit all of my criteria - but the disappearance of the Cambrian (I think it was called) is a real shame.
2Donkeys wrote:What I'm really after is a destination that meets the following criteria

1) Instrument Approach Procedures available

2) Well connected to the airways system - although not necessarily directly connected

3) With an airways routing from Cambridge that doesn't involve a massive overhead compared to an OCAS routing.

4) That doesn't cost an insane amount to land and park

5) That has food of some sort available within easy reach

It turns out that there aren't many that fit the bill - but Blackpool is one that does.

Gloucester fall foul of (3) @kanga. The channel islands are all great, but under COVID are not particularly welcoming without COVID tests and similar. Bournemouth and Southampton fall foul of 5 and perhaps a little bit 4. Southend is an option, but not very useful coming from nearby Cambridge. Biggin is not bad. Lydd falls foul of 5 as I understand it. Robin Hood, East Mids, Leeds, Teesside and Newcastle all fall foul of 5 and some have tendencies towards 4 too. Haverfordwest fall foul of 1 and 2.

What have I missed?

The £50 fee for GMA handling in Jersey is unfortunate but not that bad, surely?

PCR tests for everyone onboard are included and yes, mandatory isolation is now required until you get the result - but now promised to be within 12 hours with new lab in aero club car park.

Jersey offers excellent IFR trg with lots of CAS - NDB, ILS, VOR as well as LPV200 RNP. Connect easily to the airway system..... easy peasy!
Iceman, 2Donkeys, AndyR liked this
skydriller wrote:^^^Presumably you can fly in and stay airside then leave, but going back to UK may be an issue, I dont know the latest rules, they keep changing...

I believe that there has never been an issue coming back to the UK from any of the Channel Islands. The restriction has always been arriving from the UK.
AlanM liked this