2Donkeys wrote:What I'm really after is a destination that meets the following criteria
1) Instrument Approach Procedures available
2) Well connected to the airways system - although not necessarily directly connected
3) With an airways routing from Cambridge that doesn't involve a massive overhead compared to an OCAS routing.
4) That doesn't cost an insane amount to land and park
5) That has food of some sort available within easy reach
It turns out that there aren't many that fit the bill - but Blackpool is one that does.
Gloucester fall foul of (3) @kanga. The channel islands are all great, but under COVID are not particularly welcoming without COVID tests and similar. Bournemouth and Southampton fall foul of 5 and perhaps a little bit 4. Southend is an option, but not very useful coming from nearby Cambridge. Biggin is not bad. Lydd falls foul of 5 as I understand it. Robin Hood, East Mids, Leeds, Teesside and Newcastle all fall foul of 5 and some have tendencies towards 4 too. Haverfordwest fall foul of 1 and 2.
What have I missed?
The £50 fee for GMA handling in Jersey is unfortunate but not that bad, surely?
PCR tests for everyone onboard are included and yes, mandatory isolation is now required until you get the result - but now promised to be within 12 hours with new lab in aero club car park.
Jersey offers excellent IFR trg with lots of CAS - NDB, ILS, VOR as well as LPV200 RNP. Connect easily to the airway system..... easy peasy!