Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Overflight wrote:There's fundamental problems with the move to Cranfield, actually several:

Runway length and strength - Cambridge is some 2,000 metres (LDA of 1,742m) which is only just enough some of the heavy metal they see and has a PCN of 50 vs. Cranfield which is circa 1,800m (1,672 LDA) and only a PCN of 30 - it's not long enough, nor strong enough. In previous development plans, Cranfield did envisage a runway extension however - but not strengthening of the whole runway.

I also wondered about the runway length and strength. Perhaps this possible move will change plans a little and they might lengthen and also strengthen the runway if this gives them reason to.
PeteSpencer wrote:... " well ma'am I sure am sorry about that but remember when you hear that sound you're listening to the sound of freedom"....

No slur on you, Peter, but I was enjoying that story up until then. It's a pity that our cousins, particularly those in the military, misassociate their military with freedom and responsibility and democracy.
Rob L wrote:It's a pity that our cousins, particularly those in the military, misassociate their military with freedom and responsibility and democracy.

Have to disagree on that one Rob : it does a grave disservice to the 526 young airmen who did not return to Knettishall in their noisy aircraft doing their responsible duty to ensure the democratic freedom of you and me.

Peter
kanga, townleyc, flybymike and 2 others liked this
By Rob L
PeteSpencer wrote:
Rob L wrote:It's a pity that our cousins, particularly those in the military, misassociate their military with freedom and responsibility and democracy.

Have to disagree on that one Rob : it does a grave disservice to the 526 young airmen who did not return to Knettishall in their noisy aircraft doing their responsible duty to ensure the democratic freedom of you and me.

Peter

No disservice intended to the Knettishall fallen, Peter.

I have been friends with a former B17 belly-turret gunner based at Deopham Green, and have heard his harrowing tales.

Lots of pilots & airmen also died during aerial combat in which they were not defending democratic rights.

In relative recent history (since 1914), German, Italian, Russian, Chinese & N Korean pilots were flying for non-democratic countries, yet they died too; they didn't fly (and die) for democracy.

I don't wish to dwell too much of this; I think we are on the same wavelength generally. But I do wish that the US military use the "Democracy" badge less, because that doesn't suit all Nations, however little we might like it.
Last edited by Rob L on Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteSpencer wrote::scratch:

You know, with the positive impact on the local economy and the interesting military hardware and so on.

I'm trying to point out that it would be silly to expect a military facility that was no longer needed because global politics and strategic needs have changed to still be open.

Like Mildenhall, for example.
lobstaboy wrote:.. it would be silly to expect a military facility that was no longer needed because global politics and strategic needs have changed to still be open.

.. which is why so many have closed, RAF and USAF and other Allies'. For USAF in UK this has included Alconbury and Upper Heyford among airfields, and many other places which are no longer active airfields.

But if USG reckons one is still needed (according to their, not Forumites', criteria) despite global and strategic changes, and HMG assents, it would be 'silly' to expect one, eg Mildenhall, to close. Among the changes since its closure was first mooted are Trump's diversion of DoD funds away from Fairford (against Congress' wishes), and many more aggressive actions (political, subversive, territorial and military) by Putin.
lobstaboy wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote::scratch:

You know, with the positive impact on the local economy and the interesting military hardware and so on.

I'm trying to point out that it would be silly to expect a military facility that was no longer needed because global politics and strategic needs have changed to still be open.

My last comment for today as I have 4 year old twin grandsons birthday party to attend , but Mildenhall is the European ‘Heathrow’ for troops on deployment from US . From there they move out to other European US bases. Pretty central logistical hub therefore.

Quite apart from the 100th Air Refueling (sic) Wing it houses .
JAFO, AshleyFlynn23 liked this
kanga wrote:But if USG reckons one is still needed (according to their, not Forumites', criteria) despite global and strategic changes, and HMG assents, it would be 'silly' to expect one, eg Mildenhall, to close. Among the changes since its closure was first mooted are Trump's diversion of DoD funds away from Fairford (against Congress' wishes), and many more aggressive actions (political, subversive, territorial and military) by Putin.

Yes, of course. My single point is simply that it is not a "good news" that it is needed after all.
Just for completeness:

100th Air Refueling Wing - RAF Mildenhall's current host wing and the only permanent U.S air refuelling wing in European theatre, running since February 1992.

501st Combat Support Wing - Operational at Mildenhall since May 2005, it's a non-flying unit that provides admin and operation for the various smaller Air Force units scattered across the UK.

352d Special Operations Wing (AFSOC) - Responsible for infiltration, extraction and resupply operations in hostile territories. ( CV-22B Osprey - a delight to see lurking around East Anglia)

95th Reconnaissance Squadron (ACC) - Conducts real-time intelligence, information warfare and combat support to leadership and commanders.
488th Intelligence Squadron (ACC) - Provides support to tactical warfighters and decision-makers.

727th Air Mobility Squadron (AMC) - The 727th AMS provides air-mobility support for Europe, Africa and Southwest Asia.

Fleet Industrial Supply Center Sigonella, Detachment Mildenhall (FISCSI Mildenhall) This US Navy detachment provides fleet support in the UK and Northern Europe, including receiving and shipping high-priority parts and mail

Rob P
Hooligan, Bobcro liked this