Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By CloudHound
This is a sad tale I've picked up from the Vintage Piper Aircraft Club (VPAC). Posted here even though it is in effect a For Sale ad but read on to see why.

Ian Marshall was a well known instructor/examiner in the South East who recently lost his battle against illness. A mutual friend, Tony Cooper, is endeavouring to find a good home for Ian's Piper Apache G-ARJU. Some of you may recognise the registration from its time on the BEA / BOAC College of Air Training fleet at Hamble in the 1960s /70s.

Expression of Interest

After the recent sad death of Captain Ian Marshall, we are now seeking expressions of interest from either an individual or group who would be interested in owning and operating his beloved aircraft G-ARJU a 1961 PIPER PA-23-160 APACHE

Ian spent the last two years of his life refurbishing G-ARJU making it fully airworthy, and to almost concours condition with a current UK C of A, two zero timed engines and updated avionics including a Garmin 530.

Ian knew that G-ARJU would be a very rare aircraft indeed especially with two zero timed engines and would be an excellent aircraft for many years to come. However, he also realised that in view of the improvements, it would also be an ideal target to be stripped for parts. With this in mind, it was his dying wish, that his beloved aircraft should be kept flying and found a new home where it would be looked after, cherished and enjoyed.

As such, acting on behalf of his estate, we are now seeking expressions of interest from anyone who would be interested in operating G-ARJU either through outright individual ownership or via group ownership. Exact costing would be dependent on interest shown.

If you feel you would like to be involved with G-ARJU then please contact
Tony Cooper at Tonycooper8151@gmail.com

Thank You

By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It was Ian who did my IMCR test on a foul day at White Waltham many years ago. He was a great guy full of life and will very much missed I am sure :-(
By Hooligan
Though the reg seemed familiar and though it was based at Biggin Hill in the 70s/80s, it was G-ARJV and W that Gordon King used for twin ratings there. I see it was owned by Sega Aviation while at Biggin. Do hope a good home will be found for this little gem, there are only four registered in the UK now.
Did some spinning in the circuit at Biggin in JU . Fortunately recovered easily as some may remember .

Don't know how many twin ratings I did but Iknow it was a lot .

The good thing about JU was an extra seat at the back which meant pilot and 4 Pax .

Don't know whether still configured that way .

Good grief that was 40 years ago - where did the time go ?
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
CloudHound wrote:This is a sad tale I've picked up from the Vintage Piper Aircraft Club (VPAC)

You got there first, thanks. Tony Cooper sent me the information a couple of days ago and I planned to post here, so many thanks.

Ian
By Paul_Sengupta
oldbiggincfi wrote:The good thing about JU was an extra seat at the back which meant pilot and 4 Pax .

The one I flew was also a 5 seater, but single engine performance was bad enough with just three of us, I can't imagine what it would be like with 5 on board.

I guess it would have been ok for a family with small kids.
CloudHound wrote:
Did some spinning in the circuit at Biggin in JU . Fortunately recovered easily as some may remember .

Spinning as in autorotation?
:shock:

Doing RH circuits ; Climbing out , student overbanked turning downwind .

I pulled throttle back RH engine . Student pulled feather on full power LH engine AND tried to level wings with aileron .

So over we went .

Standard spin recovery :D

Got invited for tea for that one :oops:
Pete L, flybymike, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this
By Oldfart
A lovely example of a historic type.
In passing, some of my ex Hamble trained Big Airways friends have less than fond memories of the type.
Used at the College of Air Training at Hamble many years ago for the ME/IR portion of the Course.
Loaded up with 2 pupils and an Instructor, even with two engines operative it was very underpowered. Especially as apparently, the then approved way to teach engine out procedures was for the Instructor to reach down and select the fuel off to one engine. This was in an aircraft heavily loaded and with only one hydraulic pump!
Not surprisingly this practice ceased, after a fatal accident resulted from the lack of climb performance.
It was though, a common practise in the mid 60s, to shut an engine down on a twin, during training in EO procedures. Fond memories of droning around the circuit at Dinard and Jersey, in a DC3 and Dart Herald, with one feathered during conversion training.
Nice aeroplane, but...

I'm shocked to hear of Ian's death. I worked with him back in the '80s at Edgley Aircraft and we've been in irregular contact since. Always asked him to do my revalidations. I had no idea he was so ill, although a 'minor op' last year meant we had to cancel our planned Friedrichshafen trip. Obviously wasn't so minor as he made out.

Absolutely super bloke who will be sadly missed.
Oldfart wrote:A lovely example of a historic type.
In passing, some of my ex Hamble trained Big Airways friends have less than fond memories of the type.
Used at the College of Air Training at Hamble many years ago for the ME/IR portion of the Course.
Loaded up with 2 pupils and an Instructor, even with two engines operative it was very underpowered. Especially as apparently, the then approved way to teach engine out procedures was for the Instructor to reach down and select the fuel off to one engine. This was in an aircraft heavily loaded and with only one hydraulic pump!
Not surprisingly this practice ceased, after a fatal accident resulted from the lack of climb performance.
It was though, a common practise in the mid 60s, to shut an engine down on a twin, during training in EO procedures. Fond memories of droning around the circuit at Dinard and Jersey, in a DC3 and Dart Herald, with one feathered during conversion training.

Plenty of pilots got their IR at Stansted in Apaches , not least with Eric Thurston at Stapleford .
Not much complaint from the examiners . I suspect they loved to see you sweat doing a single engine over shoot , back in the hold, then an ADF single engine approach .

Proper IR's back in those days - 3 goes only and you're out .

AND how many pumps on that handle to gear down ?
Flyin'Dutch', Iceman liked this
oldbiggincfi wrote:
CloudHound wrote:

Spinning as in autorotation?
:shock:

Doing RH circuits ; Climbing out , student overbanked turning downwind .

I pulled throttle back RH engine . Student pulled feather on full power LH engine AND tried to level wings with aileron .

So over we went .

Standard spin recovery :D

Got invited for tea for that one :oops:

Ahmm...respect. Did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home that day?
mansonasp  wrote:Ahmm...respect. Did you buy a lottery ticket on the way home that day?

No ! It was a Sunday and some club members had only made it as far as lydd because of bad weather .
So had to be collected , probably used JU .

1975 I think , shops not open ( SUNDAY !) , lottery a NO NO , Graham Hill & Tony Brise still about .

Remember , this was a Club not a Training School although Approved