Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
In this thread I mentioned that in the next issue of FLYER I make the argument for independent oversight of the CAA.

That issue has just been uploaded, and you can read my argument here. I plan to do what I can to persuade the people who have the power to put something in place that would be beneficial to the CAA and everyone in the aviation community.

Thanks for reading

Ian
PS While you are there, if you are not a member of The FLYER Club, could I ask you to consider joining? It's £30 a year/£7.50 a quarter and your support is what enables us to provide not only the magazine, but all of our other content, including of course this website and the forums too. You can join here Thanks
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-BLEW wrote:In this thread I mentioned that in the next issue of FLYER I make the argument for independent oversight of the CAA.

That issue has just been uploaded, and you can read my argument here. I plan to do what I can to persuade the people who have the power to put something in place that would be beneficial to the CAA and everyone in the aviation community.

Thanks for reading

Ian
PS While you are there, if you are not a member of The FLYER Club, could I ask you to consider joining? It's £30 a year/£7.50 a quarter and your support is what enables us to provide not only the magazine, but all of our other content, including of course this website and the forums too. You can join here Thanks

A shameless Plug!!

G-JWTP

OK, I'll subscribe.
Done!
Last edited by G-JWTP on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-BLEW, Rob P liked this
By Pete L
Bring back Andrew Haines. :D

It's a bit worrying when we have to call for independent scrutiny of a regulator that in a lot of areas seems to do an excellent job of protecting the public, and thinks it does an excellent job of stopping us from killing ourselves too quickly even if we've accepted a level of personal risk.

I think the infringements issue and its solutions are being distorted by NATS ownership structure and the history - that is still playing out. The hope is the TMA redesign to do all the maneouvring at 7000' and above - I think we should be encouraging that to happen as quickly as possible.

It's not the only problematic regulator though - I've worked in two areas now where OFCOM has appeared to be nothing more than money-grabbing wotsits. I wouldn't charge the CAA with that.

Does our resident political geek know what the process is? Judicial review?
By James Chan
So who should be the qualified independent overseer(s)?

The FAA? German DFS? The Flyer Forum? :D
By David Wood
G-BLEW wrote:In this thread I mentioned that in the next issue of FLYER I make the argument for independent oversight of the CAA.

I would agree. Whilst the CAA does much that is good and does some of it well, it also does much that is bad and does some of it badly. There is also a strong whiff of closed minds behind closed doors. It needs a damn good shake up and, dare I say it, I suspect that a lot of dead wood needs cutting out.

As to who would oversee it and how they would do so I really don't know. My [limited] experience of the operation of government suggests to me that an argument based solely on quality of service and fitness for purpose will always be trumped by an argument based on cost-saving. If it could be shown that a better-run CAA would be cheaper, you're already half-way there. If, on the other hand, it can be pleaded that what you suggest is going to add more expense then you're on to a loser from the start.

But anyway, great idea... Strongly supported.
G-BLEW, johnm liked this
Ian,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. A review of the CAA is well overdue and with it regaining powers from EASA following Brexit it is vital that we have a CAA that is competent.

Unfortunately many of our national institutions suffer from the same malaise of being led by either dinosaurs or people who have no idea of their responsibilities.

As far as the CAA is concerned, when their boss, the Secretary of State for transport refuses to engage with them as a private pilot and get a UK licence because they are a bureaucratic pile of carp compared to the FAA where he holds a Private certificate, it says every thing.

As the major activity in the CAA over the next year after leaving EASA will be power grabs, I don’t expect things to get better, only worse.

The time to pack it in gets closer because as you point out it’s just one big clusterf.,,,
G-BLEW, A le Ron liked this
Ian it is a great piece of journalism, forthright and appealing. It demonstrates that you are prepared to say what I suspect many will not.

Unfortunately I sense you do not have the support of enough of the pilot community. I never cease to me amazed at the relcutance to criticise the current infringment policy, and even, from a surprising number a willingness to defend it. I am never entirely sure whether this is a reflection of the vested interest of some, or there are other underlying reasons.

Unfortunately the only way change comes about is when there is a real ground swell. I have banged on about it for years but in the States AOPA has the support of the vast majority of pilots, and the pilots get behind the actions of AOPA - you will hear few objections. Here it is different and that is a significant problem.

If the CAA wish to listen change will come, but at the moment they arent willing to listen. i suspect they have quite simply been rolled over by the commercial interests involved (which is also why it was such a disaster the our airspace has become effectively run by a commercial organisation).

If only the pilot community could really bring itself to come together then change will come, but I do not hold out a great deal of hope.

I have an interest in sailing. The difference betwen the communities is extraordinary - I dont entirely understand why. There are just as many old farts as me and you in both communities. I jsut sailed past the Lyme Bay firing range and no one gives a monkeys. The military send some lovely people out in boats to gently cuation people to remain clear and everyone does. If penalties and courses where introduced for infringement I suspect someone would hung and drawn. I fully apprecaite the risk in aviation are difference but there is some merit in the comparison. It is seen very much as it is a privilege given by yachtmens to allow the military to use the sea for their excercises as opposed to a privilege that the Governemnt should allow us to use our seas as and how we think fit. The FAA are much closer to the first and the CAA more extremelly addicted to the second than would make a drug rehabilitation unit have sleepless nights.

In short I am afraid the pilot community is a pretty selfish and self opinionated disorganised mob (I include myself so please dont worry) and that, and that alone, is the root of the problem in this country.