Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Try getting a (not previously approved) propeller change through, respectively EASA, LAA and BMAA !

G

Done it twice with not previously approved Props through the LAA.....First time it took 3months..second time 5months.
LAA first time ( not previously approved on type) Autopilot was quite a bit longer. It took 8.5 months.
EASAland though would probably have taken years!
Changing props is something that I've done twice through the BMAA. Fortunatly for me somebody else had undertaken the same changes before. That left me with nothing more than a paperwork exercise and paying a small admin fee to the BMAA.
I had assumed the same was true of the LAA of which I am also a member, is that the case?
Groundspeed wrote:Changing props is something that I've done twice through the BMAA. Fortunatly for me somebody else had undertaken the same changes before. That left me with nothing more than a paperwork exercise and paying a small admin fee to the BMAA.
I had assumed the same was true of the LAA of which I am also a member, is that the case?

Re-LAA Approvals.
If someone else has done exactly the same (same A/C type) Mod Approval excercise before it is usually quick and easy, being just a paperwork excercise.
It is when it hasn't been done before on that A/C type that the barrage of questions/answers/methods/ calcs etc. and final testing that takes the time.
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
To OP:

There are local branches, often called Struts, of the LAA, which typically meet monthly (although not at the moment!). Many have their own monthly newsletter. They are a good way to meet current fliers (including of non-LAA types), builders and 'fettlers'. Many are glad to meet new potential 'pairs of hands' for jobs which require more than one, but not necessary any skill or qualification. It's also a good way to hear about shares for sale, events, and spare seats in (often interesting) aircraft going somewhere for the day. Even in lockdown times word, offers and requests are being disseminated electronically.

As you're moving to Oxford, you may like to know that there is an 'Oxford Group' (normally meeting monthly at Woodstock), and nearby 'Gloster Strut' (Cheltenham or Staverton). Contact details are in the LAA national magazine, or I can send by PM.

And as others have posted, if ATCOs don't recognise a type name and are bothered (they often won't be), they'll ask! I recall a Brize Radar controller asking a pilot going into Kemble his type. He replied 'Gnat'. Very young sounding controller asked 'is that a microlight ?' :wink:
Grelly, Rob P, townleyc and 1 others liked this
Rob P wrote:
Maxthelion wrote:To give you some idea how inadequate the average CofA'd PA28 is, I fly a Vans RV-8. I cruise at 160 knots. I climb at 1800 fpm, maybe more, I'm not sure because it all happens so fast. I can fly upside down if the mood takes me. I can carry two very fat blokes and a lot of luggage and fuel and still go at 160 knots. I can win an aerobatic competition in the Midlands in the afternoon celebrate my win the same evening in the Dordogne.

So who is this fat bloke you take to the Dordogne? I'd have thought with an RV-8 you could pull a slim, handsome chap.

Rob P :D

Actually I am a slim, handsome chap, it's just that some Grinder profiles I've encountered have been less than honest.
Rob P, UncleT liked this
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
george7378 wrote:Hi all,
Coming in cold.

There are four organisations, right now, who administer these. LAA, BMAA, EASA and the CAA.

EASA permit aircraft are under a bizarre, expensive and over-complicated regime. Don't touch them for as long as they're still administered by EASA.
G

A friend of mine recently purchased a Pipistrel Virus SW 100 which was previously flown on an EASA PtF on the Swiss register as an ELA with 600kg MTOW. EASA were extremely helpful in getting the flight conditions approved for the new owner - it took maybe a week at most? Once that was done, EASA aren't involved, it's all down to the LBA (at least that's the case here in Germany) so I can't agree with the point that it's expensive and complicated.

True, I've not yet tried to change a prop or similar but if I do, I'll let you know......
OK, sorry for the delay.
George was invited in the same way we would have invited a local LAA member to joins and find out what the group is all about. Before Covid-19 that would have been at the venue near Woodstock. Zoom is our best alternative in the mean time.

Any LAA member who wishes to join the talk will need to PM me full name, email and LAA membership number. I will then add them to the distribution for event details. There is a limit to number.
Miscellaneous liked this
Ian Melville wrote:George,
Oxford LAA Group has a Zoom meeting comming up on 14th October. If you want me to add you to the mail circulation, I can do that. You will then get the necessary details. Speaker this month is Dr Simon Keeling.
Just PM me your preferred email address and full name.

I'll take a look at the Oxford LAA group when I'm settled in, for sure. Thanks for the offer of a place - I'm actually out of town on the 14th, and don't know exactly what my schedule's going to be. I'll give it a miss this time, but appreciate it!
Ian Melville liked this
I've just remembered there's an Oxford Pilots group on Facebook, too. Aerbabe of this Parish was a member, possibly the moderator, before she moved away. It seems not to have had a posting since August 2019, though