Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've heard the quadcopter bikes described as amputation machines - don't know how true it is.

Not seen anything with partial buoyancy. Couple of personal airships out there but no real hybrids apart from the very big one.
By andytk58
Pete L wrote:
Not seen anything with partial buoyancy. Couple of personal airships out there but no real hybrids apart from the very big one.

Personal airships????!

Got any links, sounds facinating.

Andy
By JAFO
@Flintstone - they've made live action versions of loads of those old cartoons and I've been waiting for them to do a live action "Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines". Johnny Depp is perfect for Dick Dastardly.

The first ever episode was called "Fur Out Furlough" - sounds topical.

Wacky Races would be good, too.

Anyone know any Hollywood producers? If so Depp gets the lead and I want a bit part as Klunk.

I'd also like one of those Voliris personal blimps.
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:
JAFO wrote:Johnny Depp is perfect for Dick Dastardly.

Shame Terry-Thomas never got to do it*. :D

Quite. Dick Dastardly was actually based on Terry-Thomas's character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Dastardly

Dastardly's most famous appearances are as a main character in the series Wacky Races (his initial appearance) and its spin-off, Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines where he appeared as a protagonist. He is partly based on the English actor Terry-Thomas.
Dave W liked this
By JAFO
I thought that Terry-Thomas was wonderful and thoroughly enjoyed many of his films including, of course, Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. However, I think that we are probably going to have to accept that, despite his talent and wonderful movie pedigree, he is not going to be right for the part of Dick Dastardly any longer. :wink:

I never did quite understand the hyphen, either.

How's this for thread creep?
By kanga
JAFO wrote:..
I never did quite understand the hyphen, either.

How's this for thread creep?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry-Thomas

"Terry-Thomas (born Thomas Terry Hoar Stevens; 10 July 1911 – 8 January 1990) ..

Early performances: 1933–1939 .. During this period, he billed himself as Thomas (or Thos) Stevens, but reorganised the name to its backward spelling of Mot Snevets.. the name did not last long and he changed it to Thomas Terry. He soon realised that people were mistaking him as a relative of Dame Ellen Terry, so inverted the name to Terry Thomas... He did not add the hyphen until 1947, and later explained that it was "not for snob reasons but to tie the two names together. They didn't mean much apart; together they made a trade name":.. the hyphen was also "to match the gap in his front teeth"... .."

In the finest Forum traditions :)