Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Rob P wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:
I'd be interested to hear why.

I sort of 'get it'.

The Spitfire is a stunning aircraft, there can be no disputing that. But sometimes its almost as if no other aircraft existed. Same in the US where the P-51 and B-17 appear to be the only aircraft that fought WW2 and the P-47, P-38, B-24 never get a look in. Once in a while one feels the need to kick back against this type-blindness.

It was the Hurricane that did the heavy lifting for the first fifteen months of the conflict after all.

As for the butchery that is the two-seat 'Spitfire' or the insipid, no aeros allowed, Mk26 ... Enough said. :puker:

Rob P

Typhoon
Tempest
Hampden
Stirling
Wellington
Halifax
Beaufighter
Rob P liked this
Thanks @Miscellaneous

The guys and gals at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar do a fab job. They are rightly immensely proud of what they do, and sooooo knowledgeable. 

I can understand the horror of 2 - seaters but this one was converted by Vickers for use as a trainer so it is not quite such an aboration.... 

Furthermore, the long-suffering MrT6 had an amazing flight in the very ac that features and he is still grinning and showing the GoPro footage to anyone foolish enough to ask. He said, as they flew over The Birling Gap looking towards the French coast, that it would give goose bumps to any right minded person. 

Yes the Hurricane is overlooked but blimey the Spitfire was a fantastic ac, no matter what JAFO says  :mrgreen:
Rob P wrote:I think you are missing the concept of banter.

I shall leave @JAFO to fight his own corner.

Rob P

No fight from me and certainly no negativity, @Miscellaneous, just a personal preference.

The Spitfire is undoubtedly a thing of beauty - with one cockpit - but just not my cup of tea for all the reasons Rob stated.

I have, of course, never flown a Spitfire but I have sat in an airworthy example and I fully get the oft quoted feeling of pilots that "you don't get into it, you wear it", it does make you feel that way and I'm sure it's a delightful aeroplane to fly. I just know that if you gave me one I'd sell it to have the money to buy other aeroplanes with. You can't help who or what you fall in love with.

My wife adores Spitfires and she normally has impeccable taste, after all, she did choose me.

No negativity was intended, I am sure it is a wonderful programme that will give enjoyment to many, many people. I agree with @T6Harvard that it was a fantastic aircraft even if I don't share the enthusiasm many have for it. It would be a dull old world if we all enjoyed the same things and it would probably be a bugger to find a parking space, too.
T6Harvard liked this
Barcli wrote:RobP - Out of interest why is the Mk26 no aeros ? :(

'Cos the LAA say so?

I've honestly no idea, ISTR seeing some you-tubes with Spitirus doing aeros, but in parts foreign if I'm not mistaken.

Rob P
Watched the programme tonight and it was hugely enjoyable, despite the two-seaters.

No fake jeopardy, Al Murray, a knowledgeable enthusiast himself giving a measured and factual narration with Peter Monk, and Guy Black, two of the more likeable people in the used aeroplane business

Positively worth an hour of any pilot's time.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:Watched the programme tonight and it was hugely enjoyable, despite the two-seaters.

No fake jeopardy, Al Murray, a knowledgeable enthusiast himself giving a measured and factual narration with Peter Monk, and Guy Black, two of the more likeable people in the used aeroplane business

Positively worth an hour of any pilot's time.

Rob P

Looks like I'm going to have to watch it now. If two-seaters make me sick it's all your fault.
Miscellaneous liked this
Very interesting, actual aircraft aside it was an enlightening programme giving me an insight in to just how big the industry is.

@JAFO sick is negative word, you can join @skydriller on the naughty step. :lol:

Joking aside I cannot imagine anyone interested in aviation not enjoying the programme. To not watch it because there are two seat Spitfires on it. :scratch: :-D

The most disturbing thing for me was how narrow the undercarriage is. :shock: