Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gonzohop
Hi all

New-ish qualified and wet-behind-the-ears private pilot here, with a recently purchased Beech Sundowner with which I'd like to replace some of the steam gauges.

I've been looking at the Garmin G5s and had quotes for installation but I REALLY like the look of the AV-30-C, installing a couple to replace the AI and DI. I've been waiting for them to become certified and now they are, but by the FAA.

My question is, if I ship a couple over to the UK is it legal to fit FAA certified equipment in EASA aircraft?

Any does anyone know someone (ideally) in the South who could fit them?

Many thanks.

Richard
By wigglyamp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You'll need to wait until/if uAvionix get their FAA STC EASA-validated.

There are some limitations in the FAA STC which preclude you doing a dual ADI/H.S.I similar to a Garmin G5 system: You can't install one as an H.S.I, you can't have one integrated to an autopilot at all including just the heading bug.

https://uavionix.com/downloads/AV-30-C/ ... Signed.pdf
gonzohop liked this
wigglyamp wrote:You'll need to wait until/if uAvionix get their FAA STC EASA-validated.

There are some limitations in the FAA STC which preclude you doing a dual ADI/H.S.I similar to a Garmin G5 system: You can't install one as an H.S.I, you can't have one integrated to an autopilot at all including just the heading bug.

https://uavionix.com/downloads/AV-30-C/ ... Signed.pdf

Thanks - just the info I needed. :thumleft:
By Bobcro
Why can’t I have one to replace the Art Horizon and the other to replace the Direction Indicator and couple the heading bug to the S-TEC 30?

Is it a question of not yet FAA approved ora fundamental interface problem?
By wigglyamp
Bobcro wrote:Why can’t I have one to replace the Art Horizon and the other to replace the Direction Indicator and couple the heading bug to the S-TEC 30?

Is it a question of not yet FAA approved ora fundamental interface problem?

Unknown. Perhaps the FAA didn’t like the Design Assurance Level for the software, or there is a common mode failure situation which precludes a dual installation. Maybe they just didn’t design it with an autopilot interface.
You can do what you want with Garmin G5s and a GAD29b.
Bobcro liked this
EASA STC Validation is in process.

The system is not yet approved to drive any autopilots, although we do intend to add that functionality and are in the process of evaluating compatibility with numerous systems.

There is nothing that precludes "dual installation", but the autopilot interface requires additional hardware that combines information from installed AV-30s in AI and DG mode, and further communicates with a GPS navigator and autopilot in a formats they can understand. There is no issue with design assurance or other, that we know of at this time. We haven't tackled certification of this yet, so there could be concerns raised like there were with Garmin G5 and other products interfacing to autopilots. Autopilot control has been included in our Certification Plan , we just chose to defer those pieces until after certification of the primary system.
G-BLEW, wigglyamp, T67M liked this
By T67M
uAvionix-Ramsey wrote:EASA STC Validation is in process.

Great news - thanks for sharing.

Out of interest (and potential purchase if the answer is "yes"), will the EASA STC include aircraft types not normally found in FAA-land? Specifically in my case the T67M2 (not to be confused with the T67M260 which is found wearing N registrations), but also other pilots flying Jodels, Bulldogs and Pups which are often omitted from FAA STCs.
By kanga
gonzohop wrote:..

New-ish qualified .. private pilot here, with a recently purchased Beech Sundowner ..

I wish when I was newly qualified that I had had the use of a type as flattering to my landings as the undercarriage on one of those. :)
By Dave A
The AV-30E (Experimental - so presumably OK for a permit aircraft) is available in the UK now. When I asked Mendelssohns the other day about whether the AV-30C was here yet, the reply was "We haven't heard yet about when the AV-30-C will be available, but we are hoping it will not be too much longer".
By Bathman
And will that now allow us to fit them into G reg aircraft.

Or will they need to get separate UK approval to?

Obviously with the UK wanting to be the best in the world one would think they automatically accept FAA and EASA STC's
By patowalker
Except in the case where appropriate TSO/ETSO standards do not already exist, the CAA does not intend to generate equipment specification requirements separate to ETSO and TSO for a two-year time-limited period. We would adopt the standards currently in CS-ETSO for any applications during that time.
Bathman liked this
By GrahamB
patowalker wrote:
Except in the case where appropriate TSO/ETSO standards do not already exist, the CAA does not intend to generate equipment specification requirements separate to ETSO and TSO for a two-year time-limited period. We would adopt the standards currently in CS-ETSO for any applications during that time.

A TSO standard is not an STC.

An item can conform to a TSO standard, but it's an STC that approves the installation of that item in one or more aircraft types.