Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
OK, I am trusting that this doesn't contravene Ian's no knife grinding rule but ...

With a six pack each dial has one function and a quick sweep around all six can be used to check that each little white pointer is approximately where it usually is. A pointer elsewhere is an attention grabber.

This

is a welter of digits and graphical features. There's a huge amount of information in a very tiny space, but in honesty, how accessible is the stuff you need to know quickly?

Apologies to the OP. It's his aeroplane and he should equip it exactly to his own personal taste.

Rob P
MikeB liked this
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:
patowalker wrote:
Except in the case where appropriate TSO/ETSO standards do not already exist, the CAA does not intend to generate equipment specification requirements separate to ETSO and TSO for a two-year time-limited period. We would adopt the standards currently in CS-ETSO for any applications during that time.

A TSO standard is not an STC.

An item can conform to a TSO standard, but it's an STC that approves the installation of that item in one or more aircraft types.

Thanks. I should have known it could not be that simple.
By letpmar
Having flown behind glass a lot I feel sure that its no problem to read the instrument. I am very interested in one myself. Though it would go into a permit aircraft.
For now in a Cof A aircraft I would be looking at the Garmin Gi275 which because it was cleared pre Brexit I think you can fit using C-Span
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
The CAA will want to validate the STC, and will need information from the FAA. Clearly the CAA intends to invent a better wheel, and has nothing better to do than approve something that has already been approved by the FAA and validated by EASA. I am at a loss to understand how this is making the UK the best place in the world for General Aviation.
Rob L, kanga, ChrisT and 4 others liked this
By Dave W
Given that the CAA employees with these competencies likely went to Cologne years ago, is the organisation equipped with the right people - and enough of them - to take an informed independent view?

I don't know, but it would seem a reasonable question to ask given the implications for the Industry.
Stampe liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Dave W wrote:Given that the CAA employees with these competencies likely went to Cologne years ago, is the organisation equipped with the right people - and enough of them - to take an informed independent view?

I don't know, but it would seem a reasonable question to ask given the implications for the Industry.

I'm not even sure the purpose is for an informed and independent view.

Ian
Stampe liked this
By PaulisHome
G-BLEW wrote:The CAA will want to validate the STC, and will need information from the FAA. Clearly the CAA intends to invent a better wheel, and has nothing better to do than approve something that has already been approved by the FAA and validated by EASA. I am at a loss to understand how this is making the UK the best place in the world for General Aviation.

And the charges that they will make to us will need to reflect all this extra work, which up until 1 Jan was shared across 27 countries.

Sunlit uplands.

Paul
By GrahamB
I think we have to wait and see what approach the CAA will take as regards validation of FAA/EASA STCs, rather than automatically and cynically assume the worst.

At the Brexit webinars, it was stated that they have no intention of creating a new department just to reinvent the wheel each time. A risk-based light-touch process was intimated as the direction.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
GrahamB wrote:I think we have to wait and see what approach the CAA will take as regards validation of FAA/EASA STCs, rather than automatically and cynically assume the worst.

At the Brexit webinars, it was stated that they have no intention of creating a new department just to reinvent the wheel each time. A risk-based light-touch process was intimated as the direction.

I saw emails yesterday. I waited, I saw.

Ian
kanga liked this
By Bathman
So, after speaking to my engineering company it would appear that you can’t fit one of these to a G reg PA28 as it hasn't got UK approval.

Having spoken to the other group members we have decided to fly the aircraft using just the compass this summer. If come autumn approval is still not forthcoming then we will fit a Garmin G5.

I would like to take this moment to thank the “experts” here in the UK who obviously know more than every one else in the western world.

Clowns.