Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Longfinal wrote:Still no need for drones to be above 400’.

Well, that rather depends.

Not all civilian "drones" are a few 10s of kg, operating at low level.
With all the B.S. about aircraft noise, and complaining Nimbys, what's going to happen when the skies fill with these things?
I have 2 'Drones' neither capable of delivering more than a kilo or two, but I will openly admin they make an awfully annoying noise.
I go to stay at some places where they can be more frequently seen, and after a 'meerkat' look at the 1st or second pass, if it continues all afternoon, even I start to think, oh give it a rest. :lol:
On the upside while nimbys are whinging about drone noise perhaps we'll get a break? :thumleft:
Hawkwind liked this
Exactly. I simply do not believe in the supposedly forthcoming sky full of drones. They make an annoying noise, there are privacy concerns, nobody is going to put up with that other than in exceptional circumstances.
G-BLEW liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:It's a bit like the Battle of Britain for the incoming Germans first of all you had the ant-aircraft gun belt, and then the fighters.

Now, if we can get northwards past Farnborough then we've now got the drones to contend with.

“I’ve got drones all over me” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as “I’ve got bogeys all over me” :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Charles Hunt, Rob P liked this
Whilst ‘working’ at designing and building pick and place assembly machines, we once fooled around building a machine gun using B.B. pellets. All it needed was a bigger magazine/feed hopper.
Quite effective and would certainly take out a drone, powered by a Co2 extinguisher.
Charles Hunt, defcribed liked this
Iceman wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:It's a bit like the Battle of Britain for the incoming Germans first of all you had the ant-aircraft gun belt, and then the fighters.

Now, if we can get northwards past Farnborough then we've now got the drones to contend with.

“I’ve got drones all over me” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as “I’ve got bogeys all over me” :lol:.

Iceman 8)

Try a handkerchief :shock:

:D :D

KE
Charles Hunt, Iceman liked this
Just got round to reading the full article, as we get the Times on Saturdays..

It reads to me far more like a wishlist from the potential drone operator of what the CAA might allow and when and where, fed to a possibly too gullible 'Transport Correspondent', rather than a realistic or authoritative account of what the CAA will allow. But I could be wrong, of course.
UK Research & Investment has just funded the Future Flight programme to, from memory, £35m. The aim is to integrate autonomous drones, some of which might be passenger carrying, into the airspace infrastructure.

If it were just a technical/regulatory matter, the sky would be full of drones in a decade or so. The societal barriers already mentioned might mean this doesn't happen, but I think many thought cars would never catch on ...
Dave W, Iceman liked this