Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:...rewarding a trainee for making a mistake which could have had fatal consequences .

That's a ridiculous assertion, as, of course, you well know. :lol:

Not so sure @Miscellaneous
In the day job I guess when I bailed a trainee we sat and talked about it , but I didn’t take him/her out to dinner . :roll:

Imagine if the ‘marker’ of the dangling strobe hadn’t been there to alert mmcb

Remember the Jodel/robin incident?

Peter
By skydriller
Sooty25 wrote:I've never knowingly clipped anything with a wingtip so genuinely don't know, but wouldn't you feel it happen?

I was wondering about this.

What with the state of many aprons in GA use, and the noise and vibration in the average GA cockpit, I suspect you may not notice, especially a student that will always be "working harder" in everything they do from start-up to shut-down.

Regards, SD..
Sooty25 liked this
By Miscellaneous
PeteSpencer wrote:Not so sure @Miscellaneous
In the day job I guess when I bailed a trainee we sat and talked about it , but I didn’t take him/her out to dinner . :roll:

I'm sure you didn't, but then maybe the patient or a colleague would have taken them out for a beer to help them recover from the consequences of the incident and your chat?

I thought you believed in just culture? :?
By PeteSpencer
Miscellaneous wrote:
I thought you believed in just culture? :?

As the late Professor Joad would have said :

‘ It all depends on what you mean by just culture’

Peter :wink:
By Crash one
One. This poor bugger is a student, learning the business.
Two. He is already mortified at what he unknowingly did.
Three. He has already had the dastardly deed plastered all over the world.
Four. “Could have had fatal consequences”? Not if the pilot of the injured aircraft did his walk around properly, as an experienced pilot should, and apparently did!
Once again, completely out of proportion response.
He doesn’t need a long drawn out lecture on the subject.
Righteousness is a wonderful thing when it’s on your side, isn’t it?
By PeteSpencer
1)He cocked up but didn't know he cocked up till he was told.
2) He was mortified
3)He wasn't identified.
4) His error was discovered
5) No serious damage was discovered
6)No puppies died
7) Damage paid for by Stude's school who also were obliged to ground the accident a/c to exclude major damage (@Crash one two aircraft were injured)
8] An anonymous forum of people expressed varied opinions, all valid
9) Some named forumites expressed valid opinions
10) More anonymous people ascended the moral high ground. as not all of those opinions in (8 &9 ) tallied with their own.
11) All facts, no righteousness.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archard liked this
By Crash one
Kemble Pitts wrote:
Crash one wrote:Righteousness is a wonderful thing when it’s on your side, isn’t it?

Just musing, but if Righteousness was not on your side, would it then be Lefteousness...

More tea vicar?

Normal response on here. When you realise you are wrong, take the pi$$!
By Bill McCarthy
It all hinges on whether he DID know that damage was caused. We have to take his word for it of course but I find it hard to believe that he did not see some movement in the “other” aircraft during the hit.
In the mob, you got away with a technical misdemeanour if you freely admitted to it, but try to hide or disclaim it led to the maximum penalty.
By Crash one
PeteSpencer wrote:1)He cocked up but didn't know he cocked up till he was told.
2) He was mortified
3)He wasn't identified.
4) His error was discovered
5) No serious damage was discovered
6)No puppies died
7) Damage paid for by Stude's school who also were obliged to ground the accident a/c to exclude major damage (@Crash one two aircraft were injured)
8] An anonymous forum of people expressed varied opinions, all valid
9) Some named forumites expressed valid opinions
10) More anonymous people ascended the moral high ground. as not all of those opinions in (8 &9 ) tallied with their own.
11) All facts, no righteousness.

1 obviously.
2 yes
3 yes he was
4 obviously
5 exactly
6 bull schite
7 correct
8 valid? Disagree.
9 see 8?
11 disagree.

12 defensive garbage.
By Crash one
Bill McCarthy wrote:It all hinges on whether he DID know that damage was caused. We have to take his word for it of course but I find it hard to believe that he did not see some movement in the “other” aircraft during the hit.
In the mob, you got away with a technical misdemeanour if you freely admitted to it, but try to hide or disclaim it led to the maximum penalty.

He could have been looking the wrong way, he would have less available brain capacity (student)
I too was in the same mob. Operationally fully trained, no excuse! This guy was not!
Miscellaneous liked this