Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By MikeB
The wingtip of our PA28 parked at Cardiff was clobbered by a visiting aircraft yesterday. The pilot concerned was apparently unaware he'd had a taxying incident, and flew his aircraft back to base.

Damage was spotted on our aircraft this morning. We managed to track the "culprit" aircraft with the help of Aeros Cardiff.

Happily, the damage to our aircraft isn't major, though it will cost a few £££'s to fix.

Contacted the school who own the aircraft, who readily confirmed the white winglets on their aircraft have newly acquired red stripes, and to be fair are extremely apologetic and have offered to meet all our repair costs. Unfortunately they have had to ground their aircraft pending an inspection. The pilot concerned, apparently a student, is said to be mortified.

Guess the morals are taxy carefully and don't take those pre-flight inspections for granted!

Instructor Errant liked this
By PeteSpencer
Salutory lesson learned by the poor (but inattentive) stude early in his career>
He'll taxy with great care from here on in.....

@MikeB Should your a/c be grounded as well for inspection, or did Aeros witness the force (or lack of) of the contact?

Peter :wink:
By MikeB
Aeros didn't witness the collision, but we would have had an engineer take a look in any event as there was obvious damage. After a couple of phone calls to arrange, Horizon sent an Engineer across from St Athan this morning. A temporary repair was made to the strobe unit. and the aircraft declared fit to fly. Since been test-flown by a fellow group member, who we considered to be the most expendable :lol:
By Crash one
If I had been the unfortunate student reading this, I too would be mortified, but at the implication of the thread title!
By Rob L
To be fair, it's easily done. Well done to the flying school for 'fessing up and making good your repair.

I hope the student of theirs isn't frightened away; I've seen that before after a very small minor incident like this.

Mike B, I know you reasonably well...after all the finances and Insurance and Engineering are resolved, could you offer the errant Student a flight in your (repaired) aircraft as a gesture of goodwill, just to show fair play...perhaps you've thought of that already!

Rob
Colonel Panic, G-BLEW, Aerials and 11 others liked this
By MikeB
Rob L wrote:...after all the finances and Insurance and Engineering are resolved, could you offer the errant Student a flight in your (repaired) aircraft as a gesture of goodwill, just to show fair play...

Great idea Rob :clap: . Will act accordingly :salut:
Flyin'Dutch', Colonel Panic, Dave W and 5 others liked this
By TheFarmer
Crash one wrote:If I had been the unfortunate student reading this, I too would be mortified, but at the implication of the thread title!

Tend to agree.

It all got sorted amicably, so why put it out the world to make the student feel like $h1t?

If it was a Breitling-clad Skygod with full Nomex, Yak 52, tiny willy, and a heavily peroxided/tattooed wife, then I would get the public lambastation.

As for the thread title, I assume you are an editor for the Daily Mail?
By MikeB
I'm way too low on the plummet/puppy farm count to ever make the Daily Mail I'm afraid :(
Last edited by MikeB on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Sooty25
I've never knowingly clipped anything with a wingtip so genuinely don't know, but wouldn't you feel it happen?
By PeteSpencer
IMHO there’s something slightly alien in rewarding a trainee for making a mistake which could have had fatal consequences .

But I’d never dream of saying this on the studes’ forum......

Peter :roll:
By Miscellaneous
PeteSpencer wrote:...rewarding a trainee for making a mistake which could have had fatal consequences .

That's a ridiculous assertion, as, of course, you well know. :lol: