Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
I'm toying with the idea of doing an FI course in 2021. Whilst I might feel otherwise, my employer is disinclined to do without me for 4 weeks in a row, so it'll have to be part time.

For preference I'd like to do it around Bucks/Berks, but not essential - that provides two really obvious schools, both good, and some others probably also good within reasonable travelling distance.

But generally they're not great fans of part time FI students, unless they are paired with somebody else working in the same timescale.

Is anybody else here having any similar thoughts, who might be interested in chatting possibilities and collaborations?

G
By RisePilot
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
But generally they're not great fans of part time FI students, unless they are paired with somebody else
G

That’s their problem. Your doing them the favour of being a paying client. They’re not doing you a favour by merely letting you be a paying customer.
Charles Hunt liked this
RisePilot wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
But generally they're not great fans of part time FI students, unless they are paired with somebody else
G

That’s their problem. Your doing them the favour of being a paying client. They’re not doing you a favour by merely letting you be a paying customer.

True enough, but I still want to be dealing with somebody who wants my custom in a form I can provide it.

And let's be brutally honest about it - with the number of airline pilots recently laid off and wanting to stay flying, the FI course market is a sellers market right now.

G
By oldbiggincfi
Genghis

Take a trip to Andrewsfield - I think they will suit you nicely .

Don't worry , any airline pilot coming back into light aviation thinking getting a FI rating is easy can think again .

You have a lot of experience in light aviation and should have no problem unlike them who got a highly monitored Frozen ATPL on 150 hrs .

More white shirts and gold bars is not what I want to see when entering the door of a flying club .
By Highland Park
The only (hopefully helpful) comment I would have is that one of the instructors at Old Buck also instructs at Andrewsfield and apparently there is quite a waiting list for FI courses there currently. Whether it will have reduced by the time you’re thinking of doing yours, I don’t know.

Ian
Hangar16 liked this
By skydriller
Genghis the Engineer wrote:And let's be brutally honest about it - with the number of airline pilots recently laid off and wanting to stay flying, the FI course market is a sellers market right now.

Im intrigued as to who all these new FIs are going to be teaching in a few months having all got their new FI tickets...
By Josh
I looked into it when I thought redundancy was imminent but there are too many experienced ex-FIs who’ve been placed on the market by airline bankruptcies to make it worth it. Also, everyone is booked up for months as has already been mentioned.
By oldbiggincfi
skydriller wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:And let's be brutally honest about it - with the number of airline pilots recently laid off and wanting to stay flying, the FI course market is a sellers market right now.

Im intrigued as to who all these new FIs are going to be teaching in a few months having all got their new FI tickets...

Good time to brush up on your Chinese :farao:

Any FI renewing not so bad but a new FI with restrictions might find difficulties.

Bit of a let down going from a 3 year old airbus to a 1970's Cessna 150 - would need a decent headset .
TLRippon wrote:We do part time FI courses at Leicester and there is no requirement to do it with another candidate. In fact when we do a course two at a time we have two FII’s teaching.

Thank you - I'm going to talk to LongFinal I think first, particularly for reasons of locality, but may drop you a line about that.

G
TLRippon liked this
oldbiggincfi wrote:Genghis

Take a trip to Andrewsfield - I think they will suit you nicely .

Don't worry , any airline pilot coming back into light aviation thinking getting a FI rating is easy can think again .

You have a lot of experience in light aviation and should have no problem unlike them who got a highly monitored Frozen ATPL on 150 hrs .

More white shirts and gold bars is not what I want to see when entering the door of a flying club .

Thank you CFI - my only issue is that geographically Andrewsfield is a bit sub-optimal, but if the more local options don't work well, I'll do exactly as you suggest.

G
oldbiggincfi liked this
By WelshRichy
My FIC was cancelled this year due to obvious reasons and I am looking to book in on a course. I'm number 37 in the list for On-Track and am looking at late '21 at the earliest. I may need to push back a bit as I've just been successful at an interview for a new role at work (out of the blue I was facing redundancy which I was informed about a week after having an offer accepted on our new property!) but later next year is probably still do-able for me (I need to find out the lay of the land for annual leave in my new team). My problem is that I am also looking to do it in blocks of two weeks to tie in with annual leave. I'll need to travel and stay local to the airfield so location not really an issue.