Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hello all. I've flown a J400 since 2004 when I finished the first customer built J400 on the register. All the LAA performance data was taken from my aircraft.
It burns 20lph, cruises between 114 and 120kts, has a payload of 355kg from a MAUW of 700 holds 140l of fuel giving it almost 7 hour range and carries 4 people.
It requires minimal maintenance is very reliable and has no nasty handling characteristics.
While the engine is fine on mogas, automotive additives (not the ethanol) are not compatible with the composites. No problems with Avgas whatsoever.
I've always operated from narrow, long-grass farm strips and have never used more than 450m, although I am conservative with weight & wind direction.
Because it has a modern slippery airframe and low weight, it requires a lower approach on finals to set it on the 'numbers' when landing, but easily mastered. The small wheels cause drag on take off only a few days a year when the ground is very soft.
Overall the J400s balanced performance takes some beating.
George, Maxthelion liked this
One appeared at Kittyhawk, and I asked the owner if I could see if I could get in. I was astonished that at 6 foot 5 I could actually fit. Compared to the upright seating in a Cessna or Piper it felt more like a sports car with your legs stretched out in front almost horizontal.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

You could go the Cessna Piper Grumman route, pay CoA prices and still be faced with a £35k engine rebuild, or you could go for the Jabiru and £35 - 40k would probably buy you a good used example.
A long time since this was posted but,
I have been the part owner of 3 Jabirus including our current J400. The following points might be useful for someone thinking of buying one.
The aircraft is pleasant, fast for the power and has benign handling. Can carry 4 in theory, realistically 2+2. I have flown 3 up and it was good.
Engine, needs treating right, needs CHT sensing on ALL cylinders and NEVER overheat it. Stick to the maintenance schedule. Use it regularly. Personally I prefer the earlier manually adjusted lifters to the later hydraulic lifters.
Airframe, no problems in three years J400 operation. In 10 years Jabiru operation had to change one wing strut due to poor build and one pair undercarriage legs.
Undercarriage, our J400 brakes were rubbish, just fitting Mk3 mod, we will see how that pans out
We run off a 800m grass strip on a hill, takeoff up hill is never more than 500m, Landing downhill about the same. Approach needs to be about 70kn and don’t close the throttle in the flare, can be reduced but never closed. Plenty of elevator authority but low inertia can lead to premature stall. Crosswind, have landed it beyond the demonstrated limit of 14kn, handled it fine.
Mogas, no, the tanks are part of the wing, damage the tank and the wing is scrap.
Get a good one, they are a treasure, a poor one will take some work but none of it is difficult and then it will be a treasure.
Engine support, so far no problems, our four cylinder ran to 900hrs before rebuild and was only rebuilt because needed to sell it and nobody would buy it with imminent rebuild requirement.