Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Join the national LAA anyway; I assume you can now do this through their website. Their magazine will have useful technical/safety/regulation/airspace stuff, and contact details of Struts and events near you. There are Struts in 'SE' England called (meetings at) Kent (Maidstone), Redhill, and Southern (Shoreham). Happy to send the contact details of any/all of these by PM.

It's possible/likely that the national BMAA membership would be equally useful to you.

Good luck. I rented for ~30 years and rarely did more than the then minimum of 5h pa P1 while in UK (more when overseas, where it was a lot cheaper!). Then I was in a syndicate for ~20 years, triggered partly by the '13h in 2nd year' rule change, and did a lot more, and wished I'd changed sooner. I went to many more places, stayed much more current, took part in many more events (notably charity and youth work, great fun), got to know many more of our strange aviating tribe, and learnt a lot more about the innards of the various (ours and others') shareoplanes (which probably made me a bit safer).
Gordon Freeman wrote:Still having fun after 39 years of messing about with Aeroplanes...

'messing about with Aeroplanes'
That's a great expression and to me captures the spirit of the thing. Put simply there is so much more than simply flying the damn things....
Let me reiterate from the start that I’m not anti LAA - well, I’ve been a member since 1976.
I try to get to the rally every year, but lately I fewer “real” homebuilt types there and by that I mean where people use skill in deciphering plans, cutting, drilling and shaping things into something that will fly. RV (eg) builders get away with putting together a kit, even get major parts factory assembled for them. Nevertheless, there is room for us all.
I would suggest the OP set his sights lower at the start to ensure that his onward enjoyment is assured. No good lashing out on a share and then admitting to oneself after a while “is that all there is”. I would beware the “shareoplane” - trust in other members is the watchword.
I would thoroughly recommend membership of the LAA, BMAA or both. You will get a good idea what is out there.
You could buy an LAA type of aircraft for less than £20k sole ownership with better performance than the 152 brigade.
Fly the daylights out of it, maintain it yourself and sell it when you’ve finished, recovering most of your initial investment.
Going down the club rental, or CofA syndicate route is like chalk and cheese and a complete no brainer unless you want/need four or six full sized seats, luggage for a month and hostess service. :D
There’s nothing like looking out the window and saying, I’m going flying, right now!
Maxthelion, AlanC, Nick and 2 others liked this
By malcolm_d_smith
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I haven't read all the replies so apologies if this is repeating what others have said.

I got my LAPL is Sept 2019, managed two solo flights before the leased aircraft was needed elsewhere. After a really wet winter and the arrival of Covid, the lease plane was sold and I had no-one to share with and nothing to fly.

I looked at older aircraft to buy but, with no experience, it wasn't sensible. I looked at building a kit (I have rebuilt a car so could do it) but the cost was huge.

Finally, in June 2020, help arrived and I had a partner to but an older plane with. It was that or no flying really. It is now September 2020, and after 12 months with no flying I am finally in the air trying to remember how to fly and convert to a new type.

Moral, don't give up, share your situation as you have done, and wait for salvation to arrive!!

If tou want it bad enough, you'll find a way.

Good luck and I hope you might visit the south west when you get airbourne. :D
JAFO, Rob P liked this
By foxmoth
Bill McCarthy wrote:So, you are going to unleash, at this point, a ten hours per year pilot on yer RV7 - I think not, and I wonder what your other shareholders would say about that. And as for “aeros” - for heavens sake, that’s asking him to run before he can walk.

My comment was in response to yours about the LAA rather than suggesting the OP should buy into an RV! Having said that we have had low hour PPLs in our group, most have managed fine and been taught aerobatics - one then going on to buy a Cap231 and get into aeros in a big way!
By imperialsam
For eight years after I got my PPL I rented from the flying club I learned at. Mostly 2-4 hour slots and, very occasionally, a whole day booking. I think I only ever went beyond 100nm from my home base on one or two occasions.

Then I joined a group, and realised what I'd been missing.

In our group a booking is usually for a whole day, multi-day bookings are fine, as are bookings that take up a whole weekend (within reason - not every weekend!). Even booking the aircraft for a whole week isn't usually a problem. That flexibility opened up many more exciting possibilities beyond bacon butty hops, like trips further afield, overnight stays, long weekends or self-fly holidays. I found it gave my flying a sense of purpose that it had lacked before.
Rob P liked this
By StratoTramp
Bit of a ressurection. In the same boat. No flight for 6 weeks, before that no flight for 5 weeks. Was meant to be up today but the plane is unserviceable reportedly as one of the other pilots started it without sufficient coolant after winter so engine is being checked out.

Can't control the weather. But can control human discipline :roll: it is really bloody annoying - Look after the aircraft and it will look after you. Just basic care and attention.

Only plus with the above lay off period and ironically the 6 month grounded time with covid at the end of 2020 into 2021 (just as I started learning) is its given me loads of saving time. I have about 30k which is enough to afford a oldish skyranger swift or a pants Ikarus. Not sure how silly (if at all) I want to be with a loan on top.

Question: Is it worth trying to learn in your own plane? I think a share would be out of the question for a learner (possibility of me heavy landing) and also with things like the above possible for piece of mind I'd rather have sole ownership to know exactly what the airplane has been subjected to.

I imagine I'm better sitting still - as would have to find instructor qualified on type, insurance, hangerage etc. But I'll need to do some of those things in the end anyway.

Has anybody done it? Is it even possible.
By Dave W
StratoTramp wrote:Question: Is it worth trying to learn in your own plane?
Has anybody done it? Is it even possible.

It certainly is - for example: LAA Technical Leaflet 2.09 (See from para.18)

In this instance, the LAA aircraft can be Group-owned with you as a Member; you don't need legally to be a sole owner any longer.

Also, the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme is your friend.
By StratoTramp
Thanks both. Sorry I should have said PPL(M).
Sure i will try light aircraft at some point. Is there some transferability on the permit to fly docs? Better get reading.

So principle looks ok, was always the way. Just the doing. I'll see how long the repair takes. Was planning to buy sometime later this year anyway so will start detailed research earlier.

Shuttleworth is closest but too expensive/full/will look pathetic next to Lysander.
Sandy next but a bit tight.
Little Gransden
Sackville
Deenethorpe.

Just completely going backwards at the moment. Sure I'll feel better in 24hours or next bleedin flight :lol:
I find it very interesting just how common this feeling is. I have certainly been there. Also interesting that on another thread there is a pilot discussing hanging up the headset at the other end of the career.

I can understand the frustration, flying, especially in the UK is expensive and the weather is often far from helpful. Take this week, I have looked out of the window , whilst at work several times to blue skies and tomorrow is going to be fogged out.

Like you have said, you just need some time in the air. I don't think I have ever got back from a flight and it not all seemed worth it.
StratoTramp liked this