Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
patowalker wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:If I remember correctly, until recently (in aviation terms) you *could only* buy your own microlight or a share therein to learn in.

You remember incorrectly. :)

Doh, so what's the score pato? :lol:
By patowalker
StratoTramp wrote: Was meant to be up today but the plane is unserviceable reportedly as one of the other pilots started it without sufficient coolant after winter so engine is being checked out.

Does 'reportedly' mean you have doubts? Have you satisfied yourself the aircraft was not airborne today? It would not be the first time a school has told porkies to a student.
Wow - I just dipped into the forum to take a look at this thread...then saw that I was the person who started it!

Since this thread, I set-up a group and we collectively bought a Zenair 601 which we're currently trying to flog shares in (no shortage of interest, but every time we try and take someone up to show her off, the weather or winter prevents us).

Ironically, I've just got back from the airfield. It's an absolutely beautiful day...zilch wind, gorgeous colours and sunlight....but the runway's too boggy and so no-one's allowed up.

Offering advice to the latest poster - and possibly myself, a year ago - I'd say perservere. The past two years have been pretty unusual and pretty rubbish...but I'm confident 2022 will see a lot more flying.
Dave W, T6Harvard, StratoTramp and 5 others liked this
By StratoTramp
patowalker wrote:
StratoTramp wrote: Was meant to be up today but the plane is unserviceable reportedly as one of the other pilots started it without sufficient coolant after winter so engine is being checked out.

Does 'reportedly' mean you have doubts? Have you satisfied yourself the aircraft was not airborne today? It would not be the first time a school has told porkies to a student.

Ah not like that, I trust my instructor. I just don't know all the 'ins and outs' with the pilot that ran it without coolant - but essentially that's what has happened to the engine. You never know who is reading so don't want to be too specific as I might not have all the facts. (I know that usually doesn't stop me :lol: )

flyingearly wrote:Since this thread, I set-up a group and we collectively bought a Zenair 601 which we're currently trying to flog shares in (no shortage of interest, but every time we try and take someone up to show her off, the weather or winter prevents us).

Sounds like a real success story :thumleft:
By patowalker
StratoTramp wrote:
patowalker wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote:If I remember correctly, until recently (in aviation terms) you *could only* buy your own microlight or a share therein to learn in.

If I remember correctly, it is one nil to me. :D
StratoTramp wrote:
patowalker wrote:

Yes you can be taught in your own aeroplane. Subject to the instructor being prepared to.
StratoTramp liked this
Sooty25 wrote:
StratoTramp wrote:
patowalker wrote:

Yes you can be taught in your own aeroplane. Subject to the instructor being prepared to.

That's right.
But I think what Paul is talking about is that many moons ago you had to have your own microlight to fly solo, even as a student. I can't remember if that was the rules or simply to do with insurance.
By Paul_Sengupta
lobstaboy wrote:But I think what Paul is talking about is that many moons ago you had to have your own microlight to fly solo, even as a student. I can't remember if that was the rules or simply to do with insurance.

From what I remember, it was the rules. You couldn't rent out a microlight, so solo flying had to be done in your own machine or in one where you had a share. Many schools sold small shares for the duration of the course, then you had to buy a share or your own microlight to fly afterwards. The rules were then changed so that you could rent them, changing the microlight flying school ethos into more of what most of us know as a "normal" flying school where you rent the aeroplane.

Or am I going mad? Or are these two questions unrelated? :D
By StratoTramp
Man in wellies moans about first world problems in a field in overproduced video. Whoever was up in the near Brinkley Airfield Services (Meppershall) I'm not frustrated at you really. :lol: Just jealous. Also, I am responsible for a few of those heavy landings mentioned :roll:

Not really scripted just went for a walk to clear my head.
By patowalker
Paul_Sengupta wrote:From what I remember, it was the rules. You couldn't rent out a microlight, so solo flying had to be done in your own machine or in one where you had a share. Many schools sold small shares for the duration of the course, then you had to buy a share or your own microlight to fly afterwards. The rules were then changed so that you could rent them, changing the microlight flying school ethos into more of what most of us know as a "normal" flying school where you rent the aeroplane.

Or am I going mad? Or are these two questions unrelated? :D

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by
you *could only* buy your own microlight or a share therein to learn in

Non-equity shares in microlights were about as rare as transponders in my time.

An exemption to the ANO restriction on training in PtF was required for each aircraft and this must have covered students flying solo under supervision. Once licensed a share or ownership became necessary.
I must admit I could be wrong, as I did my GFT in my own single-seater. :D