Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I wasn't quite sure what to put as the title, but it pretty much sums up how I'm feeling right now when it comes to my flying. I'd love to know if others have felt similar and what advice they would give.

Next week it will be exactly 1 year since I passed my NPPL and I'm looking back at what I've achieved since then and...well...it's pretty cr@p to be honest - and I'm just not sure where to go next.

We had a miserable, waterlogged winter where my local airfields were shut for months on end, only for Coronavirus to deliver a kick in the nuts when things were supposed to be kicking off.

In 12 months, my log book shows a whopping 10.5 hours of flying total.

I'm renting from the club where I learnt and the bit I'm struggling with most is keeping up with club currency. I'm now out of the 30 day requirements not for a lack of trying, but because since my last flight I had a week's holiday, then the flight I'd booked on my return was too windy...and then trying to squeeze another flight in within the 30 day window, I hit upon further poor conditions. Of those 10.5 hours, 2 of those were check flights with an instructor; the rest are spread over 7 flights....just over once a month when taking Covid stoppages into account.

Reading the forums, I'm starting to think: what next? And, what is the point from hereon in of keeping this up?

As a renter, the nearest airfield to me is 50 minutes' drive (Headcorn). Slowly but surely, the number of airfields I can fly to are diminishing. I'd had a plan this year to fly up to Monewden and visit my family, but then they closed down over the summer.

When I think about my flights, I think: I've got to drive an hour just to get to an aircraft and then - where can I actually go? As a renter, you can't easily fly further afield and explore, as you need to get the aircraft back for the next person. And - I hate to say it - I'm getting a bit bored of bimbling over the same places in the South-East all the time.

The fact it's so awkward making time for flying means I've gone out of 'club currency' 3 times since I got my licence. It almost feels like I'm back to my lessons, where you have to over-book freqency to account for cancellations or poor weather. There's no opportunity just to 'jump in and fly'; club aircraft are booked up quite a way ahead of time and the airfields I fly from - unless I want a 90 minute drive - all close 6pm.

Looking ahead, I'm sure that owning an aicraft share would open up options. I'd like to convert to a taildragger, but again, I'm not sure what the point would be in the short-term: what clubs are there in the South-East where you can learn and then rent one? From what I can see, there aren't many taildragger conversion courses nearby - and I'm worried I'd just be making my life even harder as a renter in the short-term, until I can afford to buy a share; I'd do the conversion, but then have no club to rent from and so I wouldn't be able to build up the hours.

I'm sure this sounds like a right old whinge (and, to be frank, it was sort of meant to be and it's nice to get it off my chest), but I'm assuming others have found themselves in this position.

We're now heading into the late stages of the summer and the weather is already turning damper, colder and more blowy. I'm out of currency, so need some time with an instructor to approve me for further rentals, but I'd like to have a purpose over the next 6 months to re-instil in me a feeling that learning to fly was worthwhile and useful.

The utopia is that I own a share in a plane based at a farm strip locally, where in order to get airborne I don't have to plan weeks ahead, drive an hour to get to the aircraft, ensure I fly at least once every 30 days (although I would - and this would make it easier) and I'm not clock-watching to ensure I get it back in under 2 hours.

Rant over. Going to have a nice cup of tea now. Sorry.
T6Harvard, t1m80 liked this
Just in case it helps, as a follow-up and because my brain is still whirring...the point I'm struggling with is that as a club member I'm finding it logistically difficult to get more than an hour's flying in a month, largely because it's quite a logistical hassle to fly. My club are wonderful and incredibly friendly, the FIs and staff could not be more helpful or supportive, but I just think I've reached the limits of what a club can offer.

But I don't know what the next leap should be or how to make it, really. Or even if I can make it - I've got £3k in the 'aircraft share' savings pot right now, 50 hours under my belt including all my training, and very few hours P1 to get a foot in the door.
Bill McCarthy liked this
@flyingearly your situation is more the norm than not.

Check out the local LAA Strut and seek a share in a permit aircraft. :thumright: That will give you the share you desire and much needed contact with enthusiastic and knowledgable pilots.

Renting club aircraft is only successful for a few post PPL issue. :D
anglianav8r liked this
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd like to convert to a taildragger, but again, I'm not sure what the point would be in the short-term: what clubs are there in the South-East where you can learn and then rent one?

Tiger Club?
You have my sympathy. I was lucky in that my first club, the one I trained with, had a sliding scale for currency and within a year or two I was up to (either 60 or 90) days.

Where the currency rule is inflexible it can lead to exactly the sort of situation you are outlining.

I doubt the CFI would be prepared to negotiate if you tackled him on this since for various reasons, few of them your fault, your hours aren't building very fast, But it might be worth a try.

Other than that... Wot JohnM says ^^^^^

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PM sent.
Don't despair.
I wouldn't bother upgrading from an NPPL to a PPL unless you want to fly in cloud or at night. In my experience it makes no difference to whether a syndicate accepts you or insurance costs. Relevant hours in the right machines is what makes the difference. I joined a Luscombe (classic taildragger) syndicate right after converting my microlight nppl to an SSEA one. The insurance uplift was negligable despite having next to no group A hours and having no post-taildragger-endorsement taildragger hours.
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
You've made the classic case for getting a share in something: and sooner rather than later .

Remember tail dragging is not the holy grail and unless you want to spend yet more hours, so soon after qualifying, with an instructor learning to tail drag (HazelC on here is 23 pages in and still 'not there yet')), just look for a share in a simple PA28 or C152 or even a permit tri-gear and consolidate your skills, while gently upgrading your NPPL to PPL as suggested by John M.

Then get out and spread your wings without a constant critical eye in the RHS: Go places, take friends/family for lunch somewhere: Enjoy yourself.

A PPL will broaden your horizons greatly: I sense you are already getting browned off with just bimbling and have greater aspirations.

Then a couple of years down the line if you still must go the tail dragging route you will have a better grasp of where you want to go in GA.

Good luck in whatever you choose and remember you will get many and varied occasionally strongly held and highly critical opinions on here.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
anglianav8r, ArthurG, Supercat and 2 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
Feel for ya mate!! I don’t have my license yet but the past year has been the same for me Carp winter and then covid. I had about three hours logged at the start of the year then nothing till last month which thanks to some good weather managed to get about 15hours in.

If the club isn’t working for you and your free time why not look around at other clubs to see if there is a better fit or maybe a share is right for you?

The weather is always a PITA in 2019 I had about six lessons cancelled on the trot :(
By T6Harvard
@flying early, no need to apologise, a good moan is fair enough in the circs.

I have worried about similar happening to me, do all the training then what? Bimble round, buy coffee, rinse and repeat. Leaving aside the problem of booking a/c, limited availability etc etc. Esp as MrT6 has no interest in being flown anywhere unless it is multi-engined and bound for sunny climes!

I shall read the replies with interest. There will be lots of useful pointers for you to consider.
By Nero
Feel your pain and I'm not even qualified yet. I've been wondering similar things in advance because of local availability, life and weather etc etc

I think I'm going to dive into a syndicate ASAP after passing just to be part of a like minded group and part of something, learn about ownership and get ideas for trips. I agree with others it sounds like you need a group too!

Question in my mind, which will probably help you too, where do you find local farm strips which may be hiding a nice, local group?

~ Scott
Rob P, PeteSpencer liked this
Getting into a syndicate is definitely the way forward. It has huge social advantages too and will help enormously as you build experience and sometimes share a flight with a fellow syndicate member.
A further possibility, if you don't plan to take more than one passenger at a time would be to do differences training and add the microlight rating, which opens up the possibility of heading across the water to the continent. A syndicate membership on one of the modern (3-axis) microlights would give you excellent hourly costs without sacrificing performance expectations.
You're facing a dilemma familiar to many here, but probably even worse do to this annus horriblus. Don't give up.
By Gordon Freeman
Join the LAA and or BMAA. Attend strut meetings and fly ins. Discover the myriad interesting aeroplanes that are available. Check out whats actually possible in your area and hone your aspirations by talking to some flying folk. Do you want to tour, or visit farm strips, or whatever?
If you are a practical sort, you can maybe find a simple aircraft like a Shadow, Taylor Mono, VP1, Cri Cri, Luton Minor and many others that can be purchased outright for around £5K or less. A colleague bought a lovely Taylor Mono 4 years ago for £3100. He spent around £250 and a few weekends work, then flew it round France and had some real 'adventures'.
Like yourself, if my only option was to rent a 150 at the local club, I'd have packed it in years ago. Instead, I'm still having fun after 39 years of messing about with Aeroplanes. Good luck in your endeavours.
Sooty25 liked this
As touched on by @anglianav8r get 3 axis Microlight added to your NPPL, it will open up more options at the budget end. Don't be put off by the microlight bit, many of them will out perform the cheaper group A rental fleet, unless you are 16 stone of course!