Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Point 7) in joke page achieved: viewtopic.php?p=1580561 :wink:

On a more serious note, there are valid considerations that should be made between non-radio aircraft vs. those flying IFR.

No one should be barred from airspace of course, but these problems and risks need to be managed sensibly - with suitable equipment at times, and a better understanding and consideration to other classes of aircraft that are different from oneself - A Citation doesn't own the sky any more than a DG-1000 and vice versa.
By PeteSpencer
flyingearly wrote:
bilko2 wrote:As a matter of interest where are these VFR routes in other countries?

Astonishingly, there's a VFR corridor running directly overhead LAX with no requirement to speak to anyone on the ground en-route:

Been there, done that on the way from Santa Monica to Catalina Island with the late Keef..
Took some amazing pics which are in a box somewhere in the garage loft.....

Interesting really as the only transit of a biggish airport in UK (Stansted) I've ever got was after some minutes of R/T pleading after an initial refusal when way past out east was blocked by a wall of CBs.

Peter
By Crash one
flyingearly wrote:
bilko2 wrote:As a matter of interest where are these VFR routes in other countries?

Astonishingly, there's a VFR corridor running directly overhead LAX with no requirement to speak to anyone on the ground en-route:

https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy- ... ion-routes

Can you imagine the hurdle in establishing something similar for Heathrow?

I can imagine a small group/committee (the government wouldn’t waste too many people on it) of unqualified, incompetent politicians spending several years turning coffee into urine whilst trying to think of as many reasons as possibleI why it won’t be possible.
By kanga
In US a difference is that Committees of both Senate and House could and would summon the Head of the FAA to ask why not. Those Congressfolk would have had regular access from well-funded and -briefed aopa lobbyists, supported by a well-organised letter and email campaign to each from their District and State. And it is very likely that some members of each Committee will be active or former pilots, and use GA to get to from and even within their patches.

Now if every GA pilot in UK joined aopa .. :?
By Paul_Sengupta
Going via Norfolk isn't exactly the best way to get to Edinburgh from Goodwood. It's a bit of a Cook's tour.

Isn't the Manchester LLR just such a "VFR corridor" as has been mentioned?
By proteus
jacekowski wrote:I am fully aware that what i'm saying is going against what a lot (most?) of people on this forum believe, but that doesn't make it wrong (or right).

Because in IMC under IFR see-and-avoid is impossible, something needs to replace it.

Could you point to the recent cases of IFR IMC class G mid airs that show there's a serious safety issue that needs all this controlled airspace?

Or is it just a desire for feels over reals?
By Charles Hunt
AndyR wrote:I’m with Iceman on this.

Route DCT.
Talk & obtain any clearances through airspace.

Once you’re past the southern chart, you get handed over most of the time anyway. Especially if you do go east coast or up the spine of the country.

You are Timothy and I claim my £5.
gasman, AndyR liked this
By IMCR
As the O/P'er I flew this route last year, albeit going somewhat further north.

While I take all the points made, it is a beautiful routing all the way up the East coast with guaranteed clearances through the relatively few sections of class D. Sometimes if you just want no work load and almost guaranteed clearances, and dont want to go IFR, it has some advantages even if it involves a few more miles. Also if you wish to avoid IMC (should it arise) the chances are you can keep beneath any weather, being the big advantage of routing along a coast line, and not having to think to much about bits of terrain getting in the way. :D
Last edited by IMCR on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Nero
Using Microsoft Flight Simulator, I hopped along in a PA28R from Biggin to the Shetlands using the East Coast and it was glorious. No ATC at all and beautiful views

~ Scott