Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Rob P wrote:Fairford, central? :lol:

Rob P

:lol: :lol:

Wow! What a blow to Duxford! What a shame. I attended the one (not sure if it was a Legends) in 2007 when it was BBMF's 50th anniversary and they flew a formation with the ENTIRE Flight. Magical.)

Cosford would make sense, or of course Waddo again.....
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Part of the charm of Legends at Duxford was the Museum hangars/Airspace/American/Landwarfare/Military vehicle-rides for the kids.

Not to mention the British Airliner Collection, fully open and staffed by enthusiastic stewards, some of whom worked on those airliners in their heyday.

Duxford is unique:
I doubt if anywhere in the UK could match its huge and varied collections: And that's before the flying starts.
Sywell certainly can't.

Peter
PeteSpencer wrote:Part of the charm of Legends at Duxford was the Museum hangars/Airspace/American/Landwarfare/Military vehicle-rides for the kids.

It has been a few years since I have attended a Legends, but the thing I always found annoying was that they closed the museum buildings very shortly after the flying ceased meaning everyone left at the same time, rather than staggering their departure by taking a wander around the exhibits.

Then they wondered why there was traffic chaos.

Rob P
Hazel C, T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Part of the charm of Legends at Duxford was the Museum hangars/Airspace/American/Landwarfare/Military vehicle-rides for the kids.

It has been a few years since I have attended a Legends, but the thing I always found annoying was that they closed the museum buildings very shortly after the flying ceased meaning everyone left at the same time, rather than staggering their departure by taking a wander around the exhibits.

Then they wondered why there was traffic chaos.

Rob P

Nope: Not any more (or at least not until Covid shut the whole shebang down.).
Punters encouraged to linger a while after final flypast:
In the ten years Ive had volunteering at every airshow, no traffic chaos any more thanks to legions of marshalling air cadets and their officers.
And efficient Stop/Go professionals at the gates.
And the Tiger Moth/Rapide flights resume..............

And while we're on the topic, ever since Shoreham no tickets on the gate any more:

Marked reduction in takings, not only for IWM but also charities like DAS.
But no arrival chaos any more.............
Rob P liked this
By skydriller
PeteSpencer wrote:ever since Shoreham no tickets on the gate any more:

Was this an issue at shoreham? I thought it was "uninvolved public" that was where the main changes occured to airshows?

(Sorry for thread drift)
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:ever since Shoreham no tickets on the gate any more:

Was this an issue at shoreham? I thought it was "uninvolved public" that was where the main changes occured to airshows?

(Sorry for thread drift)

The Shoreham issue prompted Dux to re-assess the huge stationary arrival queues of punters on show days on the A505 (and to a lesser extent the M11 slip) which snaked along in the undershoot to both Dux runways trying to buy tickets in the days when tickets were available at the gate:.
Online ticket sales only massively reduced this perceived risk.

Un involved public getting a freebee from A505Lay-by/adjoining fields/lanes on the south side were moved on by old bill for a while,following Hoof Proudfoot's P38 crash in 1996, but then this stopped.

Duxford Primary school made a killing by selling parking/viewing space in the playground.
PeteSpencer wrote:no tickets on the gate any more

<post jump>

The Shoreham issue prompted Dux to re-assess the huge stationary arrival queues of punters on show days

Online ticket sales only massively reduced this perceived risk.

And transfered the financial risk of bad weather cancellation from the organisers onto their customers. But I am sure that was never even considered :lol:

Rob P
JodelDavo liked this