Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
The Ordnance Survey has calculated the exact geographical centre of England to be in a field at Lindley Hall Farm, in Fenny Drayton, Leicestershire.

The town of Haltwhistle in Northumberland has banners stating that it is the "Centre of Britain". By another calculation the centre can also be said to be Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire

Rob P
JAFO liked this
Rob P wrote:The Ordnance Survey has calculated the exact geographical centre of England to be in a field..

what TORA/TODA is available in that field ? :)
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I very much hope I'm wrong, but I wonder whether TFC may relocate the show overseas to somewhere like La Ferte Alais? That said, wherever the show goes to (assuming it will return), the fact that they can no longer use their home base and will have to relocate/position aircraft to take part, with all the logistics that will involve does make me wonder whether we've now seen the best of it...

Ian
Depressingly I have heard it mooted that we may be seeing the end of flying at Duxford altogether, an IWM agenda.

Where that would leave TFC and Historic Flying is anyone's guess.

But that thought is from a reliable source quoting his reliable source so comes to you well third-hand and is probably worth not giving credence to.

Rob P
By Dave W
Rob P wrote:... an IWM agenda.

If correct, that would be a perfect example of "Knowing the cost of everything, and the value of nothing". :(
shortwing, T6Harvard, Ian Melville and 2 others liked this
By ozplane
Rob, I think your source may be a bit pessimistic wrt to the closure of flying at Duxford. It wasn't too long ago that one of the Cambridge colleges was proposing a tech campus on site, precisely because of the airfield's proximity. I'm sure ARC won't be too impressed after building their new hangar and I guess Classic Wings might have a sense of humour failure as well. We shall see.
I do hope you are correct.

Dave W wrote:Audio of an interview with Nick Grey this morning on Radio Cambridgeshire,

Interesting that Nick struggled to explain how losing an income generating show would help the IWM with the financial issues Covid has brought. He basically waffled around it.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
In the past, Legends (and some of the other shows) have lost the IWM money when bad weather stopped pilots flying in and they had to swallow the cost of the infrastructure (Minibuses hire and staffing)

This actually led to the abolishing of 'flying in' for a couple of years, until they worked out a better booking strategy:

Then came the Shoreham Aircrash which prompted IWM to issue advancepayment tickets only, automatically pegging gate receipts and removing the bonus of 'pay at the gate' receipts, when if the days suddenly turned out to be good weather, hundreds would turn up on the day.

The stall holders soon clocked this and their numbers have been significantly down in recent years.

Peter
Human Factor wrote:He doesn’t represent IWM of course, so perhaps it’s a polite way of saying “not my problem”.

He was at pains to say what good chums TFC and the IWM are, at least twice.

That still didn't give him any insight into how binning a profit-making airshow was going to help IWM finances.

At the moment the big hotel development has hit a planning hiccup (this may have been resolved)

Rob P
I heard him say they were standing aside to allow IWM to stage their own large airshow in the slot traditionally taken by FL.

His explanation about the receipts funding TFC running costs points towards a small contribution to the ground landlords.

I know IWM are investing in the site, so staging their own extravaganza and taking the profits would appear to me at least the game plan behind the announcement.
By skydriller
Highland Park wrote:I very much hope I'm wrong, but I wonder whether TFC may relocate the show overseas to somewhere like La Ferte Alais?

I hope not as you cant fly-in there anymore for the shows. :(

Regards, SD..
Rob P liked this