Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
skydriller wrote:
Highland Park wrote:I very much hope I'm wrong, but I wonder whether TFC may relocate the show overseas to somewhere like La Ferte Alais?

I hope not as you cant fly-in there anymore for the shows. :(

Regards, SD..

Likewise, I was hoping to fly in to the Battle of Britain show at Duxford on 19 September but was advised that IWM "won't be accepting GA visitors...in these uncertain times". Given I was to be alone in the aircraft and other than the transport across the public side by shuttle bus, I couldn't see any issue - unless its down to cutting costs?

Hey ho - I'll just sit in three hours of traffic on the A505... :x

Ian
By PeteSpencer
Highland Park wrote:Hey ho - I'll just sit in three hours of traffic on the A505... :x

Ian

Or go around the top of Cambridge at 8.30 am westbound on A14 then drop down on M11 to A505 roundabout jcn 10, half a mile from Dux entrance.

My standard approach on airshow days.

No delay

Peter :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By Highland Park
PeteSpencer wrote:
Highland Park wrote:Hey ho - I'll just sit in three hours of traffic on the A505... :x

Ian

Or go around the top of Cambridge at 8.30 am westbound on A14 then drop down on M11 to A505 roundabout jcn 10, half a mile from Dux entrance.

My standard approach on airshow days.

No delay

Peter :wink:

Travelling from near Norwich, that might be a better option...
By T6Harvard
^^^^ What Peter says.

I'd like to add.....
I flew a Harvard at Duxford's July show last year :mrgreen:
I took the Classic Wings flight and at one point we returned to fly along the runway. Did you see me waving??

Unfortunately we'll miss the BoB show this year. The Friday looks so good too.

Enjoy it!
dewidaniels wrote:..

Because the Armée de l'Air did such a great job in WW2 ;)

Indeed:

a. in the Battle of France, when (like the RAF in that battle) they were up against superior, combat-experienced, Luftwaffe in mostly superior aircraft and certainly better tactics, and without the Radar which was crucial in BoB. They suffered massive losses (through no lack of gallantry), as did the RAF of course, until their airfields were overrun by Wehrmacht (the French Army suffering massive losses) or destroyed by the Luftwaffe

b. after the Petain surrender, many A de l'A pilots made their way to Britain or North Africa, some with their aircraft, where many further played a distinguished part within RAF; after Operation Torch, many came to Britain from North Africa, and further helped the Allied cause, notably in Free French Bomber Squadrons, Elvington-based Halifax crews playing a particularly distinguished part

c. and, it must be said, locally-based A de l'A pilots and aircraft also played a part in Vichy forces in the Levant.

[Assume and hope that dewidaniels was not being sarcastic without doing the necessary research .. :roll: ]
skydriller, T6Harvard, patowalker and 3 others liked this
kanga wrote:
dewidaniels wrote:..

Because the Armée de l'Air did such a great job in WW2 ;)

Indeed:

a. in the Battle of France, when (like the RAF in that battle) they were up against superior, combat-experienced, Luftwaffe in mostly superior aircraft and certainly better tactics, and without the Radar which was crucial in BoB. They suffered massive losses (through no lack of gallantry), as did the RAF of course, until their airfields were overrun by Wehrmacht (the French Army suffering massive losses) or destroyed by the Luftwaffe

b. after the Petain surrender, many A de l'A pilots made their way to Britain or North Africa, some with their aircraft, where many further played a distinguished part within RAF; after Operation Torch, many came to Britain from North Africa, and further helped the Allied cause, notably in Free French Bomber Squadrons, Elvington-based Halifax crews playing a particularly distinguished part

c. and, it must be said, locally-based A de l'A pilots and aircraft also played a part in Vichy forces in the Levant.

[Assume and hope that dewidaniels was not being sarcastic without doing the necessary research .. :roll: ]

I was thinking mainly of the role of the Armée de l'Air under the Vichy government. You glossed over the fact that the Vichy forces in the Levant were fighting allied forces, including Free French forces. I was thinking of the likes of Pierre Le Gloan, who shot down six RAF aircraft (some sources say seven) while flying with the Armée de l'Air. Compare him to Pierre Clostermann, the top-scoring French air ace of WW2, who shot down 33 aircraft (all on the Axis side) while flying with the RAF.

[I'd like to think that I was being sarcastic having done the necessary research :roll: ]
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Great shame Legends is leaving Duxford but I guess it was inevitable .
Duxford’s massive advantage is of course the museum and working hangars the land warfare museum and DAS’s fine collection of military vehicles .

DAS sadly will lose a big chunk of its annual
Income the lions share of which comes from Airliner Collection ticket sales on Display days :(
Glad as I am that they’ve found a new venue (and Sywell is one of my fav ‘dromes) my concern is about size.

Sywell isn’t that big so I doubt we’ll see the massive displays of yore. Flying in to Duxford hasn’t been easy for years so I’m not anticipating a slot.

Nevertheless great news.