Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks, Rob. So not a factory as such - as yet there's no prototype, let alone a production line.

For the near term at least, I expect they will essentially be just another resident organisation amongst many.
Having a ferret around there have been lots of rumours, including flattening the LWH and using the space for the corrod... preserved airliners so as to make the main site less cluttered and more in keeping, echoing some of the sentiments here. I suspect this was just internet woo.

Rob P
Dave W liked this
So, surely the establishment of an "Avtech" centre beginning with this green aviation venture secures Duxford's future as an airfield whilst offering some financial security to IWM allowing them to develop Duxford along lines which respect its history and tell the story of those who served.

Sounds positive to me.
Rob P wrote:Having a ferret around there have been lots of rumours, including flattening the LWH and using the space for the corrod... preserved airliners so as to make the main site less cluttered and more in keeping, echoing some of the sentiments here. I suspect this was just internet woo.

Doesn't sound like woo to me. Sounds like Duxford trying to honour the history of DAS on the airfield while presenting the story that they want to tell at the heart of the old base.
JAFO wrote:So, surely the establishment of an "Avtech" centre beginning with this green aviation venture secures Duxford's future as an airfield whilst offering some financial security to IWM allowing them to develop Duxford along lines which respect its history and tell the story of those who served.

Sounds positive to me.

You’d think so, but that’s not how it’s being approached.

New taxiways, landing lights, a deal done for the land, I’ve seen the designs for the factory, it IS a factory. IWM didn’t own all the land that’s being used.

Air shows already being touted as incompatible, “flying days” instead.

Remember Duxford is no longer an “Aviation Museum” anyway..

If it’s not an Aviation Museum, then it doesn’t need old planes does it?

One step at a time, but I’ve seen the artist mock ups of the end game.

I’ll shut up, because I either need to put up or shut up, and I can’t post what’s going on on a forum.
My take was that it will be on the site of the Land Warfare Hall but I have nothing to support that contention.

Speaking of which I really must pay a visit to Duxford specifically to visit the LWH. It is an interesting collection, about to be dispersed across the globe; Pima has featured in the interweb scuttlebutt as a possible destination of some of the exhibits.

Rob P
@Cessna571 - as far as IWM are concerned, it's always been their large object storage area, right from day one. The view of it as an important place in its own right has only taken hold in the last few years. I think Duxford is more secure than it's ever been.

Gonville and Caius, who I think have an interest, promote the introduction of the AvTech businesses alongside the heritage assets.

I think it's all positive.
townleyc wrote:Clearly I was wrong - I always assumed a 'woke' factory would be building alarm clocks

KE

:)

Smiths Industries (now part of GE Aviation), started as a clock- and watchmaker in London in the 19th c. They got into scientific instruments, and then in WW1 into aircraft instruments, much of the necessary precision small part technology being the same. They opened their dedicated aircraft instrument factory at Bishop's Cleeve near Cheltenham in the '30s, where they still are (and still thriving) in the avionics and related businesses.

[.. as narrated in the JAM-made video shown in normal times in the JAM Trident, historic as the world's first airliner capable of fully automatic landing, based on Smith's technology components of which were tested in Smith's own test aircraft at Staverton :thumright: ]

But Smith's continued in the 'clockwork' alarm clock business. Their iconic 'bedside' design incorporating two prominent bells on top of the dial with a striking hammer between, in painted or metallic finishes, remained a worldwide best seller until finally displaced by electronics and 'clock/radios'. These alarm clocks were still being made at a dedicated small factory on the edge of Cheltenham into the '70s.

Which some may say is further proof that Gloucestershire is the UK centre not only of aviation but also of 'wokery' :wink:
cotterpot, Rob P, townleyc and 2 others liked this
But I presume this further reinforces Cambridge Airport is for certain to close as otherwise they would have located there as closer to silicon fen . This could also imply shifting of existing Cambridge airport operations to Duxford in due course together with whatever that means for Airshow's. .. Here's hoping it doesn't go the way of Farnborough and it's Airshow
The moment Marshalls saw the pound signs around development there has never been any doubt Cambridge would close.

It is a fascinating if somewhat scary process to watch. The Cousin's decision to stay on Mildenhall will have caused some rapid rethinking, I can't even remotely guess where they will end up.

Duxford's future looks secure despite Ms Greer, but I am guessing it will be a very different place ten years hence.

Rob P
JAFO liked this