Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The fact that this is even slightly controversial shows how badly broken our planning system has become.

Garden village (aka known as overcrowded dump with little boxes made of ticky tacky) no problem at all. Change to improve operations at airport, over our dead bodies... :roll:
klutz, StratoTramp liked this
By cjrpaterson
Nov - March the grass runways are (mostly) unusable for fixed wing anyway. It would be interesting to see if that cap includes helicopters, who don't use the taxiway.
By reimomo
85 movements a day is not a lot

Remember this is calculated from a 7 day rolling average. Given the weather conditions from Nov-May, and looking at the movements in recent years, I'd be surprised if it was a significant issue.
By flyingearly
reimomo wrote:
85 movements a day is not a lot

Remember this is calculated from a 7 day rolling average. Given the weather conditions from Nov-May, and looking at the movements in recent years, I'd be surprised if it was a significant issue.

Apologies - I've now read the full document; I was shooting from the hip a bit.

What it advises is that 85 movements a day WILL curtail some movements on average, but that it's the touch-and-gos that will breach the limit. So, the assumption here is that November - March no touch and gos will be allowed, which will then keep movements under limits based on current usage levels (section 6 of the document).
By Satcop
The actual Section 106 agreement is still being drawn up.

We are required to carry out some additional drainage works south of Taxiway C and D along the section used as an unlicensed runway; the planning authority have imposed quite a tight time limit on these works.

The movement limit only relates to movements on the unlicensed runway, by fixed-wing aircraft, during the period November through to March. As has been said it is a seven day rolling average however some restrictions may have to e placed on touch and movements.

Until everything is signed and sealed we still have to proceed with the appeal process against the original enforcement action.

The 85 daily limit is far from ideally, we had requested 100 original and then reduced that to 90, however it is better than having to return the taxiway to its former condition.
cjrpaterson, MikeE, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By Lockhaven
johnm wrote:The fact that this is even slightly controversial shows how badly broken our planning system has become.

Garden village (aka known as overcrowded dump with little boxes made of ticky tacky) no problem at all. Change to improve operations at airport, over our dead bodies... :roll:

I think they should put Redhill up for sale to the local travelling fraternity to use as a caravan site, pretty sure they could get a few thousand caravans on there, and then use the over inflated sale price to setup somewhere else.

I wonder how long it would take for the local NIMBYs to start wishing they had a quite airport back again.
By kanga
Satcop wrote:The actual Section 106 agreement is still being drawn up.

Until everything is signed and sealed we still have to proceed with the appeal process against the original enforcement action....

I've just received by snail mail a notification from Reigate&Banstead BC that the Planning Inspectorate has advised that the appeal has been withdrawn. I hope this is good news ..
Iceman liked this
By Rob P
Bathman wrote:But where can one go to do touch and goes?

Southend

Rob P :D
By Iceman
With 08R out of action at the moment, taxiway 07 was the only realistic option for takeoff and landing the Seneca today (08L is too short).

Iceman 8)
By Kemble Pitts
Iceman wrote:With 08R out of action at the moment, taxiway 07 was the only realistic option for takeoff and landing the Seneca today (08L is too short).

Iceman 8)

As 07 hard is only about 500m long, at most, presumably you had to use the section of peritrack just after the bend, leading up to the 'runway' too? Must have been fairly tight, good effort.
Iceman liked this
By MikeE
Just received this from Redhill -

Operators’ Memo 5/2021
Use of Runway 07/25
Introduction
The status of Runway 07/25 has now been recognised by the local planning authority and planning
permission has been granted. There is now a Section 106 agreement in place; this imposes certain
obligations upon Redhill Aerodrome Limited and will impact on the operation of the unlicensed
runway.
Section 106 Agreement Restrictions
The Section 106 agreement places a cap on the maximum number of movements that may take
place throughout a seven day period.
“Between the first calendar day of November and the last calendar day of March in any year, whilst
the airfield is open for fixed wing aircraft traffic, no more than an average total of 85 daily fixed wing
aircraft movements will be permitted to occur from Runway 07/25 assessed on a rolling seven-day
average basis, and where each take-off and landing is considered to be a single movement (so touch
and go’s are counted as two movements).”
Should we exceed this number of movements we are required to pay a penalty for each take-off,
landing or touch and go above 85.
Schedule 1 of the Agreement Extract
“In relation to the use of the Unlicensed Runway
3.1 Not at any time to use any part of Taxiway C/D (including the Unlicensed Runway) for any
Flight Movement (other than in cases of emergency or damaged aircraft) unless:
1. i) the Grass Runways are Unserviceable; or
2. ii) if no Grass Runway is available due to weather conditions, waterlogging, obstruction,
regulatory requirement, emergency reasons or safety reasons.
4 In relation to the Grass Runways
4.1 To use best endeavours to maintain in a Serviceable condition at all times during a Season one
Grass Runway of at least the length of the Unlicensed Runway.”
In simple terms unless the grass runways are notified as unserviceable, and NOTAMs issued, aircraft
are not permitted to use Runway 07/25.
Managing Fixed-wing Aircraft Movements
In an attempt to ensure we remain below the rolling 85 movements per day limit the following
restrictions will apply:
1. Circuit flying will not permitted at weekends; this includes full stop landings and back to the
hold and low approaches.
2. Circuit flying will normally be restricted to aircraft operated by based flying training
organistions. Private owners requiring to carry out circuit flights for licensing purposes must
check with ATC prior to requesting taxy clearence.
Redhill Aerodrome Operators’ Memo 5/2021
3. Should the fixed-wing movements look as though the 85 rolloing average will be exceeded
in a particular period then circuit flights will be prohibited. This will be notified by issuing a
NOTAM and via the Redhill Aerodrome website.
This winter period will be challenging as we get to grips with the movement restrictions however
historical data shows that usually a rolling average of 85 is only exceeded on three to four days. I
shall keep the situation under review and should the restriction on circuit flying prove to be overly
restrictive then it will be relaxed.
Runway 07/25 Circuit Pattern
A copy of the circuit pattern to be flown from Runway 07/25 is attached, further copies can be
downloaded from
http://redhillaerodrome.com/uploads/fil ... 202021.png
Please note that departures from Runway 25 must climb straight ahead through the “Salfords Gap”.

So good news
Best wishes
Mike
Dodo, StratoTramp, Lockhaven and 1 others liked this
By Iceman
So, after many years, Redhill has an approved hard runway at last, which is great news. All it needs now is some lighting,

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp liked this
By James Chan
Not sure what all that saga was with this third horizontal runway, but I'm very glad common sense has prevailed and peace returns again. :thumleft:
StratoTramp liked this