Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 11
User avatar
By lobstaboy
#1791383
GrahamB wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If you are ever not happy with what is presented or are suspicious then don't buy. ...Simples...Just walk away!


... and have some bloke on the internet slag you off as a time-waster.


Yes. Which answers the question that @Miscellaneous asked me a couple of days ago and that I haven't responded to yet :) ie why I'd asked the question in the first place in my OP
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1791387
lobstaboy wrote:Which answers the question that @Miscellaneous asked me a couple of days ago and that I haven't responded to yet :) ie why I'd asked the question in the first place in my OP

:? :?
#1791390
GrahamB wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If you are ever not happy with what is presented or are suspicious then don't buy. ...Simples...Just walk away!


... and have some bloke on the internet slag you off as a time-waster.


Who cares??...
Nine times out of ten it is the seller who is the timewaster for not presenting/describing/overpricing the aircraft correctly.
If I saw an advert that said an aircraft was 're-advertised due to timewaster' I personally would be very suspicious of why the so called 'timewaster' had not concluded the deal and would probably ignore that advert and look elsewhere.
lobstaboy liked this
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1791392
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If I saw an advert that said an aircraft was 're-advertised due to timewaster' I personally would be very suspicious of why the so called 'timewaster' had not concluded the deal and would probably ignore that advert and look elsewhere.

That could very well be to your loss. Assuming everyone who posts they have experienced a timewaster during the sale of their aircraft is in fact the timewaster is a little naive.

Seems to me there are different definitions of timewaster at play in the thread.

My definition is not so much someone who decides it's not for them as someone who comes to look and has no intention of ever buying it.
By Shoestring Flyer
#1791396
Miscellaneous wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If I saw an advert that said an aircraft was 're-advertised due to timewaster' I personally would be very suspicious of why the so called 'timewaster' had not concluded the deal and would probably ignore that advert and look elsewhere.

That could very well be to your loss.


As I said earlier in the thread...'There will always be another aircraft'.
User avatar
By GrahamB
#1791397
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Who cares??..

I certainly don’t.

I’m just pointing out the irony. One man’s diligent purchaser is another man’s time-waster, just as one man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist.

Unfortunately, the world is full of both the incompetent and the dishonest. Buying and selling things brings you into contact with them.
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1791400
Shoestring Flyer wrote:As I said earlier in the thread...'There will always be another aircraft'.

Agreed, but that's nothing to do with whether the seller is genuine or deemed a timewaster on account of him claiming to have had a bad experience.

I other words, you can make any assumption you like based on an advert, however without evidence your assertion is meaningless. :D
By Aeronca Alan
#1791401
I don't care how much I may otherwise have been interested in the aircraft for sale, if the advertisement said "re-advertised due to time waster" I simply wouldn't even consider responding. I wouldn't deal with such a person. I think this is the OP's point.

If you want to explain why the aircraft is again being advertised then why not just say "previous expected sale didn't complete". We can all understand that such things happen, and commonly do.
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1791407
Aeronca Alan wrote:I don't care how much I may otherwise have been interested in the aircraft for sale, if the advertisement said "re-advertised due to time waster" I simply wouldn't even consider responding. I wouldn't deal with such a person. I think this is the OP's point.

Wow, big assumptions to be making based solely on someone saying they had to deal with a timewaster. And to conclude the seller is 'such a person'. :lol:

Quite enlightening this thread. Maybe there is value in viewing aircraft advertised such as there are guaranteed to be nice aircraft for sale, irrespective of the such of the owner. And well, think of how many won't be going to view because there's always something else to buy. :wink: Bargains galore. :D
User avatar
By defcribed
#1791414
GrahamB wrote:... and have some bloke on the internet slag you off as a time-waster.


Who cares?

I've never bought an aeroplane (a whole one, anyway) but I've bought plenty of cars and walked away from plenty when it became obvious the advert had kept quiet about major issues. Those people probably considered me a time-waster, i.e. someone who started asking difficult questions instead of just saying "oooh, lovely" and paying the asking price in cash within 5 minutes of arriving.

If we give narked-off sellers the benefit of the doubt and assume that there are real, deliberate time-wasters out there (rather than just people who didn't buy) then I'm slightly baffled as to what motivates these people. I'd have to be bored beyond belief before I considered viewing items for sale that I had no intention of buying as a form of entertainment. I guess they must be out there though - nowt as queer as folk.

I've also sold a fair few cars and never had a time-waster pitch up to view. Not everyone made an offer, but then they're usually looking at multiple examples so it's understandable. I've had a few voicemails that I didn't return because they sounded like idiots, but anyone who's actually taken the time to turn up was looking to buy the car if it met their requirements and we could agree a price.

Not saying I'd never buy from someone who wrote "re-advertised due to time-wasters" but it certainly sets my d*ckhead alarm off. Sometimes in this world we have to deal with d*ckheads in the course of getting what we want.

All fun and games.
lobstaboy, JAFO liked this
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1791417
defcribed wrote:Sometimes in this world we have to deal with d*ckheads in the course of getting what we want.

All fun and games.

Exactly, it's an aeroplane you're looking to purchase, not a best mate to go have beer with. Whether they are a d*ckhead or not is no indication to whether the aeroplane is exactly what you want. or not. :thumright: To avoid looking at an aeroplane because someone has a different view on what to put in an ad... :?
By Bill McCarthy
#1791423
The seller of the first aircraft I was interested in was the time waster (big time). I made contact by phone, was assured that a trailer that went with it was roadworthy if we agreed a deal. I drove the hundreds of miles from the far north to meet him in Canterbury and then it was “follow me” to a strip in the depths of Kent. On arrival at the strip, the first thing I came across was the trailer, green in algae, wheels soft, tow hitch out of sight in the mud. A bad start. Into the hangar, no attempt at a pre sale spruce up the aircraft. It was a wreck, and I was told that it had been through an inspectors audit. He was selling it “on behalf of a girlfriend” - I walked away. Then it was “hang on a minute, I have another one in bits that I can let you have, if I buy” . I kept walking.
A couple of months later, I read that a poor chap who’d bought one perished in one of the same. But chillingly the report seemed to tie up with the same area, similar story.
User avatar
By Rob P
#1791427
Having once written this very phrase in a car ad when I was a lot younger, my only intention was to p**s off the guy who had agreed to buy it and then just didn't turn up with the money on the agreed day. No call, nothing.

I'm pleased to say that it worked. He rang me up threatening a libel action.

It gave me some tiny satisfaction.

Rob P
Charles Hunt, defcribed liked this
By Aeronca Alan
#1791429
Miscellaneous wrote:
Aeronca Alan wrote:I don't care how much I may otherwise have been interested in the aircraft for sale, if the advertisement said "re-advertised due to time waster" I simply wouldn't even consider responding. I wouldn't deal with such a person. I think this is the OP's point.

Wow, big assumptions to be making based solely on someone saying they had to deal with a timewaster. And to conclude the seller is 'such a person'. :lol:

Quite enlightening this thread. Maybe there is value in viewing aircraft advertised such as there are guaranteed to be nice aircraft for sale, irrespective of the such of the owner. And well, think of how many won't be going to view because there's always something else to buy. :wink: Bargains galore. :D


My money, my decision. Doesn't impact upon anyone else. (Potential advertisers can listen or ignore - that's their decision.)
User avatar
By Morten
#1791433
Miscellaneous wrote: Whether they are a d*ckhead or not is no indication to whether the aeroplane is exactly what you want. or not. :thumright:

I disagree. If the current owner is a d*ckhead the likelihood that the aircraft has been poorly looked after and is misrepresented is higher. And, even with the best pre-purchase inspection and flights, the best eagle-eyes in the world etc., they will know things about the aircraft you and your engineer don't. So a d*ckhead is a negative on the aircraft you are buying.

Also, I am not buying an aircraft as a business. I fly for fun. If the purchase process is a pain, I go elsewhere. Life is too short and there are other things I can get on with and enjoy more. And yes, I am willing to pay more to save my fun and avoid the pain. Like I said, I do this for fun, not for profit. I expect to pay (reasonably!) for my fun.
lobstaboy liked this
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 11