Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
Why do advertiser's feel it's necessary to say things like,"re-advertised due to time waster"?
Surely they mean that unfortunately a serious potential purchaser regrettably decided the aircraft, or the price, weren't right. Or are they admitting that they were silly enough not to have done any probing (aka due diligence) of the circumstances of enquirers?
Whatever, to my eyes it makes them seem a difficult person to do business with (aka kn*b) and I'm much less likely to make an enquiry.
In short, it's off putting.
Memo, Zulu Bravo, eltonioni liked this
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Trust me, there are some serious time wasters out there. After a while you can spot them a mile off. I recently sold an aircraft, and from the first phone call you can pretty much tell whether they’re dreamers, or buyers.

You wouldn’t believe some of the questions.... :lol:
David Wood liked this
By lobstaboy
Of course there are time wasters out there. And mostly I'd expect them to be easy to spot.

My question is why does the advertiser feel it necessary to say that he's had his time wasted? Does that help sell his aeroplane? No, it doesn't, so why do it?
By lobstaboy
Miscellaneous wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:...so why do it?

Because they believe they need to offer explanation to other potential buyers who may wonder why it is back on the market.

Yes I see that, but it isn't in fact necessary. As I said, it makes me suspicious of the seller.
If a house sale falls through you don't see estate agents boards saying "re-advertised due to timewasters"
Ultimately it's their advert and they can write what they like - I just want to make the point that I don't think it's a good thing to do.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ChrisRowland
Are some people type collectors? Do they expect a free flight?

I can understand someone wanting a fly in an aircraft before buying. Personally I would expect to pay for that.

The one aircraft I made a serious enquiry about and didn't buy was a Europa at WW. It foundered when I discovered that I didn't fit. I coud have flown it for a short flight but didn't see the point.

Was that time wasting? I don't think so.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:
You wouldn’t believe some of the questions.... :lol:

Go on then.......

Ok, selling a Jodel...

1. Has it got TCAS?

2. Can you convert it to nosewheel for me if I pay to have it done?

3. Why are the engine hours different to the airframe hours?

4. Will it float better if I have to ditch with the spats on, or off?

Needless to say, the two people who asked these didn’t come and view it.

The bloke who told me for an hour on the phone it was exactly what he wanted.......never called back.

So, a ‘no time wasters’ reminder might just stop the day dreamers a little bit perhaps?

Don’t know.
flybymike, Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven and 1 others liked this