Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shirley all this talk of time wastersand dodgy adverts showing only the shiny bits justifies paying slightly over the odds and buying from a reputable dealer like David Morris and letting the afors mob stew in their own juice.

Peter
By gaxor
Boxkite wrote:
Instances of time-wasting (or lazy) sellers of various aircraft:
Terrible, minimal, upside-down,or absent photos.
Photos of only the good bits, not the ripped seats, cracked canopy, filthy floor.....
Photos that were taken years before when the owner bought it. In one case some photos were by the owner before that - evident by some paint touch-ups in the more recent photos (leading edge now a different colour).
Awful DIY repairs (nasty windscreen replacement and hand-rollered paintwork.
Cracked paintwork where photos chosen don't show this, or photos are old.
Patched hole under the wing that owner has no idea about! (must have thought I wouldn't lay on my back to take a look under the wing).
A whole season's worth of hours missing from the log when the owner had just told me how versatile the aircraft was and the trips he had done. (Once filled in I would have insisted on correlating it with his personal log).
Promises that the annual would be done soon but wasn't, meaning that all talk of a purchase has to be put on hold. (happened twice).
Including a zero-hours spare engine in the price, and later revealing it wasn't inhibited and he got it like that. But didn't like to allow an inspection (borescope) to assess whether it had any value as a running engine.
Sellers that arrange a viewing, and know you have come far, but have not allowed time in their schedule for a decent look over or a flight (like I said, have never asked).
And it goes on.

Sounds like a typical Tinder profile - (so I've heard)
PeteSpencer wrote:Shirley all this talk of time wastersand dodgy adverts showing only the shiny bits justifies paying slightly over the odds and buying from a reputable dealer like David Morris and letting the afors mob stew in their own juice.

Peter

I wouldn't touch any dealer. I will admit my sample group is small, but I am happy to believe it is representative.
E.G., There is a certain dealer selling an aircraft that was available last year for HALF the price from the previous owner.
PeteSpencer liked this
By TLRippon
Once, just as I was transferring the cash to a broker’s account, the broker said, “Great, I knew you weren’t a time waster”. I don’t know how to take that!
Boxkite wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Shirley all this talk of time wastersand dodgy adverts showing only the shiny bits justifies paying slightly over the odds and buying from a reputable dealer like David Morris and letting the afors mob stew in their own juice.

Peter

I wouldn't touch any dealer. I will admit my sample group is small, but I am happy to believe it is representative.
E.G., There is a certain dealer selling an aircraft that was available last year for HALF the price from the previous owner.

The main objective of any dealer or business though is to make a profit and if you think otherwise then you are certainly misguided. They are not in it for fun, their objective in life is to make money. As long as you realise that there is nothing wrong with buying or selling an aircraft through a dealer. The opposite is true really because you have elements of trading standards protection behind you.
If the dealer paid the previous owner what he was asking for the aircraft then I don't see any problem at all and if the dealer thinks he can possibly double his money then good luck to him I say.
Sorry, but anyone who thinks dealers of whatever persuasion, car dealer, boat dealer or whatever should be some sort of benevolent society has a lot to learn.
flybymike, Supercat liked this
By Miscellaneous
Boxkite wrote:...but I am happy to believe it is representative.

One of life's greatest mysteries to me is people being happy to believe something because they want to. :?

Personally I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few untrue things as possible. Whether I want something to be true or not is irrelevant. :D
By Boxkite
Miscellaneous wrote:
Boxkite wrote:...but I am happy to believe it is representative.

One of life's greatest mysteries to me is people being happy to believe something because they want to. :?

I am lucky that it doesn't apply to me then :D
By PeteSpencer
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
Sorry, but anyone who thinks dealers of whatever persuasion, car dealer, boat dealer or whatever should be some sort of benevolent society has a lot to learn.

Of course I realise that, but shirley if a dealer has a physical premises, a reputation etc he should give some sort of guarantee/reassuranc: At least you have some kind of comeback rather than the dodgy fly-by-night of the internet world?

Academic really, as I'm not selling or looking so don't propose to waste any more keyboard time.....

Peter :roll:
By TheFarmer
Once filled in I would have insisted on correlating it with his personal log

Really?

:lol: