Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I didn't listen to this, but if you do a bit of internet work it does turn out to be a very sad story.
There's lots of garbage about it being shot down - Lightning returned to Wattisham with a missile fired - that sort of thing.
Isn't there a story going round recently that the wreckage has been identified on the sea bed and people hope to salvage it to learn the truth of the shoot down story?
It's based on a true story of a homesick mechanic who wanted out to go home and see his wife and kids:

My folks were living in Cambridge at the time , so it was very much a 'local' story

I got married same year.

BTW Runways at Mildenhall are 11 and 29

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooligan wrote:Vaguely recall one of the participants engaging in a somewhat warm debate on Flypast a couple of years ago?

There certainly was a similar hopeful convinced they had found Glenn Miller that caused a Key Historic Forum rumpus particularly when TIGHAR perked up and showed interest.

I can't recall if there was a matching C-130 spat, but then the Burma Spitfire Show eclipsed virtually everything else for a few months moderation-wise

Rob P
Hooligan liked this
Rob P wrote:There certainly was a similar hopeful convinced they had found Glenn Miller that caused a Key Historic Forum rumpus particularly when TIGHAR perked up and showed interest.

I can't recall if there was a matching C-130 spat, but then the Burma Spitfire Show eclipsed virtually everything else for a few months moderation-wise

Rob P

I must have missed the Glenn Miller affair, certainly recall Burma...
Why did you say Burma? I panicked...

The Herk search debate probably resulted in a flounce, I recall scepticism amongst the membership was fairly rife!

Must have also missed them finding the wreck, amazed they did given how much debris must be down there...
Hooligan wrote:
Must have also missed them finding the wreck

But did they actually find it?

Some googling, including the 'Deeper Dorset' website, reveals not a single post after January 2019. If they had found anything one might have expected some kind of follow up, pictures from an ROV, wreckage pulled from the deep?

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
Hooligan wrote:
Must have also missed them finding the wreck

But did they actually find it?

Some googling, including the 'Deeper Dorset' website, reveals not a single post after January 2019. If they had found anything one might have expected some kind of follow up, pictures from an ROV, wreckage pulled from the deep?

Rob P

That's very true - I was thinking Miscellaneous's BBC link indicated they had but all it seems to be is that they say they have but no proof...
Rob P liked this