Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ROG
Just asking if anyone has been to Calais recently--any info. welcome--thanks.
By Rob P
Yes, last week.

No significant difference from any other trip there recently as the Douanier were absent. Café open, fuel available, bus from the airport to the town is now free.

Rob P
By Stampe
Three times in last fortnight.Cafe excellent.Customs now Notamed as having a set attendance but only been there on one of my visits.If your going on one of the non AFISO days brush up on your French radio calls and procedure.The French air police are there quite regularly usually 3 guys in a 172 and check that calls are made in French. A superb alternative and much cheaper than LTQ.
By Rob P
That, of course, is the issue with having a decent café operational.

The rozzers / douaniers like to go there either side of lunch

Rob P
By Geldard
More douaniers there today than you could shake a stick at . . .
But all very friendly and cooperative, although a little slow.
I suspect thy were training new recruits since it seemed to take three of them over 10 minutes to do what one normally does in two.
The Café, as always, was most welcoming and efficient. Also ‘Thumbs Up’ for ATC.
Try to support Calais now more than LQ and always use it for customs/immigration if going south or east.
Pilot Pete, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
I had a lot of fun watching a training exercise where one of them hid under the little bridge/culvert on the way to the village and another two, with their dog, hunted for him. The dog won :D

Yes, if you are simply fuelling yourself and your aircraft before heading onward it's a no brainer. Fuel at Le Touquet is well over two euro/litre, even now.

Rob P
By G-BLEW
Many years since I've flown to Calais, and the I don't think I left the airport. If I wanted to give it a go as a destination (rather than just customs) alternative to Le Touquet, what are the walking distance options, things to do/see beaches or good restaurants in town?

Thanks in advance

Ian
By Rob P
Bus stops at the airport and takes you to town no charge, twenty or thirty minute schedule.

Also stops at an Ibis on the way to town

Top restaurants - Histoire Ancien, La Buissonniere or Le Channel. Trip Advisor offers alternatives.

Top attraction - ride the dragon.

Don't discount Marck itself. Excellent brasserie (weekdays) and a supermarche. It's a pleasant fifteen minute walk

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
By G-BLEW
Rob P wrote:Bus stops at the airport and takes you to town no charge, twenty or thirty minute schedule.

Also stops at an Ibis on the way to town

Top restaurants - Histoire Ancien or Le Channel

Top attraction - ride the dragon.

Don't discount Marck itself. Excellent brasserie (weekdays) and a supsrmarche. It's a pleasant fifteen minute walk

Rob P

Thanks for that, it's literally 29 years since I spent any time in Calais itself, is it worth an overnight?

Thanks

Ian
By Rob P
I'd say so. It's not as stylish as Le Touquet, but the dragon has got to make it worthwhile. Certainly on my list for this year.

Rob P
G-BLEW liked this
By Geldard
and a supermarche.

The nearest supermarche (in the Calais town direction) has now closed - although the boulangerie is still there.
Fortunately, I was on my fold-up bicycle and so could go on further to the Intermarche, passing a Liddle and an Aldi on the way.
But it took me 15 minutes: So a rather long walk.
G-BLEW liked this
By Rob P
The Carrefour (Rue Pasteur) is closed?

Damn, there goes my chorizo supply. :evil:

Rob P
By 2Donkeys
Opinions are like @rsholes, everybody has one.

Here is mine (opinion, that is).

Calais is a friendly airport with a great bistro/restaurant serving the usual French standards in a great environment, if you are a plane spotter or pilot. They are also seeing plenty of local custom for birthdays and similar events.

The fly in the ointment is not the airport or the restaurant, but the location. It takes a while by bus to get to Calais, and when you get there, there is a small amount of quaint old town, and an enormous amount of 1960s grey. A wander around is not going to charm a first-time visitor to France in the same way that Le Touquet does. There are some lovely restaurants, and I like every one on @Rob P 's list, but the setting for each once you step out of the restaurant is not the greatest.

Boulogne is much nicer bet as towns go, but an even longer schlep out of the airport - arguably, not a day trip.

The premium in landing fee at Le Touquet is almost certainly offset by supplemental transport costs and reduced options for things to do at Calais.

Calais remains though, the perfect place to fuel, and clear customs.

Nearby Marck has the brasserie that has been mentioned, but it is closed at weekends, which reduces its attraction somewhat.
Rob P, Geldard, G-BLEW liked this
By Geldard
Rob P wrote:The Carrefour (Rue Pasteur) is closed?

Damn, there goes my chorizo supply. :evil:

Rob P

I think the one in Rue Pasteur IS still OPEN.
I, innocently, travelling along Avenue de Calais was looking for the one by Sophie Lebreuilly - Boulangerie pâtisserie, in Rue Pascal which has now gone.
By Rob P
Ah right. It is the Carrefour we use and that is walkable from the airport. There is nothing to stop you catching the free bus for one stop if exercise is beyond you.

Or you are loaded up with lots of bottles of wine :lol:

Rob P
Geldard liked this