Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By adamkpplir
So, it’s been on my mind for a bit and I’m sure this will spark some discussion which will inevitably move away from my initial query:

Flew to LFAT yesterday and requested the RNAV approach for RWY 31. The aircraft has a GPS that has just been upgraded to LPV and this was annunciated at the correct moment during the approach, but what do we actually call this? Are we actually flying an LPV approach, or is it an RNAV approach to LPV minimums? Or something else..? Was I correct to call it an RNAV approach on the radio?

Would be interested to hear what the more experienced among us think of this!

Thanks.
By Ibra
adamkpplir wrote:Was I correct to call it an RNAV approach on the radio?

I think if you don't want to confuse French ATC with Cap413, I think "la RNAV pour piste trente une" is the right way to call it, then you can fly to LPV minima

Isn't the same story for ILS/DME or LOC/DME, we just ask for "ILS approach" but I heard some explicitly need to clarify it is "Localizer only" if they want ATC to flip their switch ON/OFF or if they see GS flag OFF on their VOR/CDI

Congrats for the upgrade by the way :thumleft:
By johnm
Check the plate it will describe the approach as either RNAV or RNP and as time goes by non-precision will be RNAV and precision will RNP
In a nutshell, PBN is going to encompass all the various types of approaches and gradually terminology throughout the world will be standardised, its already happening with Jeppesen approach charts.

At the moment you have the following conventional approaches:-
VDF
NDB
TACAN
VOR
LOC
SRA
BC
These will become known as 2D approach LP LNAV

Then you have:-
ILS
ILS CAT II + III
IGS
GCA/PAR
MLS
TLS
These will become known as 3D approaches LPV, LNAV/VNAV, RNP/AR

To encompass everything with standard terminology they will all become RNP/PBN approaches of some kind around Nov 2022.
For example you may currently have an RNAV (GPS or GNSS) approach to RWY 36 stated on a chart this will become RNP 36 approach, or you may have RNAV (RNP) RWY 36 this will become RNP RWY 36 (AR) of course with all of this you need the appropriate onboard equipment to be able to conduct a lot of these approaches, especially LPV, RNP, RNP/AR approaches, the system must provide on-board performance monitoring and alerting.
Ibra, johnm liked this
By GrahamB
johnm wrote:Check the plate it will describe the approach as either RNAV or RNP and as time goes by non-precision will be RNAV and precision will RNP

I’m afraid that’s wrong, John.

There will be no RNAV approaches. All PBN approaches will be RNP, and additionally where circumstances require specific operator approval they will be published as RNP AR
johnm liked this