Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
johnm wrote: I gave MrsJohnm an Android phone and got a constant stream of questions about how to do things. I found answering the questions extremely fiddly myself.

Mrs P has been an Android user for years

Her company have given her iphones for the last few years. Other than for making phone calls, which apparently it's OK for it sits at the bottom of her bag to avoid the stream of bad language that trying to do anything "smart" with it invokes

This proves exactly the same nothing as your example @johnm

If you are used to one operating system, the other seems perverse.

Rob P
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Surely you should have the choice of "battery saver" options to let you decide the battery/processing compromise?

You do now. That's the problem with quoting three year old news stories...

But to claim that squeezing more life out of old products to make them last longer is planned obsolescence is a bit odd?

Basically, this patch reduced the peak current consumption by throttling the processor when the battery was unable to deliver enough. Without this functionality, the devices were becoming unstable. Would you rather it was slow or crashed? Apple don't want their devices crashing - it harms the user experience.

This was a well intentioned move, but Apple being Apple, shrouded it in secrecy which made it seem somehow bad. They've learned their lesson now, the functionality is still there but now exposed in the OS. It tells you it's happening and lets you bypass it.

Also, the last three iOS updates have -improved- performance of older devices. Who else does that?
By Paul_Sengupta
stevelup wrote:You do now.

:thumright:

stevelup wrote:Also, the last three iOS updates have -improved- performance of older devices. Who else does that?

Microsoft apparently. Windows 10 is supposed to be faster than Windows 8 on older PCs, but I have no experience of this. I'm still on Windows 7 and XP on my various PCs.
By johnm
@Rob P I've used a wide range of MAC and PC since they were invented, as well as mainframe operating systems before that, from ICL and IBM and I've used both Android and iphone. I've also been a support person at the U3A Internet cafe helping oldies with their kit.

Across that whole spectrum the most intuitive and easy to use and teach is Apple IOS. That said itunes is a heap of junk but I've been able to avoid using it :D
By stevelup
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Microsoft apparently. Windows 10 is supposed to be faster than Windows 8 on older PCs, but I have no experience of this. I'm still on Windows 7 and XP on my various PCs.

Good point, and agreed. Win 10 is an excellent product now.
By defcribed
Operating system updates make me nervous.

I once bricked my Nexus 7 by mindlessly hitting 'ok' when it suggested an update to the next version of Android. This would have been 3-4 years ago. Getting it back to life required a degree of fiddling, reading stuff in the internet and connecting it to a computer to flash in something or other that I acknowledge most consumers would not have the patience for. Indeed it wasn't really worth my time doing it, but they were out of production by then and the stubborn b*stard in me refused to acquiese to the demands of our throw-away society.

I now ignore all Android devices (well, I only have two - my phone and the Nexus 7 which is just for flying) when they say they want to upgrade the OS. If I actually encounter a problem of not being able to do something because I'm on too old a version then I'll look into the upgrade and perhaps do it having thoughroughly researched any issues - but I've not had to yet.

It isn't always (or even often) sunny in the Android garden, but it is considerably cheaper! :-)
By stevelup
The risk there is leaving yourself vulnerable to attacks / malware.

For a single use device such as aviation, and if you're not connecting to random third party networks, that's probably not a concern.

But for a daily use device, connected here there and anywhere, and using internet based apps... ignoring updates is not a good strategy.
By defcribed
johnm wrote:Across that whole spectrum the most intuitive and easy to use and teach is Apple IOS. That said itunes is a heap of junk but I've been able to avoid using it :D

I don't doubt it's the easiest to teach - that's the idea isn't it? Apple were reaching out to non-techies as the PC community disappeared up its own front-side bus.

Concur on iTunes. That's the product that really turned me off when I was given the only Apple product I've ever owned - an iPod Nano (which I loved).
By defcribed
stevelup wrote:But for a daily use device, connected here there and anywhere, and using internet based apps... ignoring updates is not a good strategy.

Good point. Perhaps I'll let my phone update itself - but when I have some spare time and not when I'm about to need it!
By stevelup
iTunes is a funny beast. I use it every day at work, have no problems with it - find it powerful and intuitive. But you can't ignore the hate for it. I just can't work out what the problem is with it!
By PeteSpencer
So it look like a fully updated single iPad mini4, operated below 100% brightness and not charged in the air is the perfect single gadget for everything for a technophobic geriatric .

Now leave me alone all warm and fuzzy in my dotage .

Peter :roll:
johnm, flybymike liked this
By defcribed
stevelup wrote:iTunes is a funny beast. I use it every day at work, have no problems with it - find it powerful and intuitive. But you can't ignore the hate for it. I just can't work out what the problem is with it!

For me it was the way it (and the associated hardware) insisted on you using it.

When I got the iPod Nano I wanted (and expected) to be able to just use it like a flash drive - drag and drop music on and off in Windows. I couldn't stand its insistence on a synchronisation process which inevitably meant it choosing to match one to the other in the opposite direction to which I desired!
By Paul_Sengupta
I loaded iTunes on a PC once. Even when not in use, it made the PC grind to a halt, slowing it down so much that the PC was barely usable.

It's probably improved since but I'd still be reluctant to use it on anything which didn't have a lot of memory and processing power spare.

Plus what defcribed said, it doesn't allow you to move files around willy nilly.