Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Stu B
Am I wrong in believing that Apple/IOS no longer permits developers to release any updates to 32-bit applications? Surely that is going to sound the death-knell for older (32-bit) IOS devices?
By Iceman
I don’t know whether or not it’s been said, but if you’re going to buy an iPad, make sure that it’s got an in-built GPS receiver. I upgraded my iPad recently, assuming that they all had GPS receivers, as my first did. The second iPad was sans GPS. External BT GPS receiver now acquired.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
I got a cheap Garmin Glo to give me GPS via Bluetooth. I did consider going for a SkyEcho2 for GPS but it’s an expensive unit considering that I have no use for its ADSB-out transmitter (all aircraft that I fly have ADSB-out).

Iceman 8)
By Iron Chicken
Good grief ; iThing this, Samsung that, what will they think of next?

IC

first gen Nexus 7
XC soar for the shiny white, pointy silent flying machine
SD for the slightly grubby, blunt noisy flying machine
Osmand open source mapping satnav for the motorhome.

Never failed, what more could you need?
:D
kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Iron Chicken wrote:Never failed, what more could you need?

Well, quite. Sky Demon actually works fine on a first gen (2012) Nexus 7 (or the equivalent Asus ME173X), but it's not as fast as it is on a second gen (2013) one! ;-)

If anyone really wants to really save money, you can get a first gen Nexus or an Asus 173 for not much more than £30 on e-bay...

The slightly quirky thing about the 1st gen Nexus though is that in order to charge at full charge, it needs the two data leads bridged (connected together). This means either a specific cigarette lighter adaptor, or a specific cable. Back in the day I found a charger which worked, so recommended that to everyone who bought one (was that the Flyer thread on buying the Nexus? Can't remember).