Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hazel C
Another successful afternoon's taildragging! Its really starting to click into place.

I'm learning what my feet are for too...rudders!! I now realise that the ground run in a tail dragger is so important, and the feet are kept busy. Also learning how much one needs to keep an eye on the slip and turn ball in an old aircraft... Dont seem to have any issues with the Grob being out of balance, but certainly do in the climb out in the C140!

Having a few issues with the round out, how long to keep her in ground effect and how long before pitching the nose up, ground effect seems an interminable length of time. Keeping the stick back whilst having a bouncy landing seems counter intuitive too...

Oh well, progress is good.... as my penultimate landing was 99% , I must be doing something right! :D
Highland Park, Rob P, kanga and 4 others liked this
By Rob L
Hazel C wrote:... Also learning how much one needs to keep an eye on the slip and turn ball in an old aircraft....

Get your teacher/instructor to blank the slip ball with a post-it note or a rubber soap suction thingy. You need to learn how to fly "by the seat of your pants", not by looking at a slip ball :)

Good to hear of your progress!
Hazel C, Rob P, AndyR and 2 others liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I now realise that the ground run in a tail dragger is so important, and the feet are kept busy.

This is why I (and I think many taildragger instructors) will do land to full stop rather than touch and go - as I am sure you have found it gets harder to keep straight as the aircraft slows which you only get practice at if you slow right down to taxi speed, at Barton with a relatively short runway this often means land and taxi back to the hold until students get the directional control sorted.
Hazel C liked this
By Crash one
I think the 90 day currency rules are three full stop landings and three take offs for tailwheel rather than touch and go.

Went up to Perth today for the flyin barbie. Looked like a taildragger’s convention! All sorts. Great day.
By Miscellaneous
Crash one wrote:I think the 90 day currency rules are three full stop landings and three take offs for tailwheel rather than touch and go.

I didn't know that. Every day is a school day. :thumright:
Crash one wrote:Went up to Perth today for the flyin barbie. Looked like a taildragger’s convention! All sorts. Great day.

Glad to hear you got there. I understand from Iceman that the Oban contingent had to go 'the long way round'. It wasn't even suitable for a local bimble here yesterday. Frustrating!
Crash one liked this
By Crash one
Yes it did look a bit hazy further north. Couldn’t get pictures, too busy avoiding other incoming traffic!
By Hazel C
foxmoth wrote:
This is why I (and I think many taildragger instructors) will do land to full stop rather than touch and go - as I am sure you have found it gets harder to keep straight as the aircraft slows which you only get practice at if you slow right down to taxi speed, at Barton with a relatively short runway this often means land and taxi back to the hold until students get the directional control sorted.

Ahh, of course, that makes total sense now, I did wonder. It does indeed become harder to keep straight at slow speed. I also find myself getting too close to the right hand edge of the grass sometimes when taxiing, as I am looking to my left around the nose too much.... But it will come :-)
Crash one liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:
Crash one wrote:I think the 90 day currency rules are three full stop landings and three take offs for tailwheel rather than touch and go.

I didn't know that. Every day is a school day. :thumright:

Don't worry - that's rubbish unless it is a local / group / club rule.
There are no special tailwheel currency requirements.

FCL.060 Recent experience
(a) Balloons.
(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an
aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:
(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take�offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS
representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either
multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot; and
(2) as PIC at night unless he/she:
(i) has carried out in the preceding 90 days at least 1 take-off, approach and landing at
night as a pilot flying in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS
representing that type or class; or
(ii) holds an IR;
Hazel C, Lockhaven liked this
By Crash one
Ok perhaps it was just advice rather than a rule, though it makes sense to me.
I’ve never been in a club/group/rental situation so the notion didn’t come from there.
You could do a wheeler in a tailwheel without the tail touching, go around and it’s nothing like a full stop peddle dancing job. I’m just back after 10 months of lockdown, maintenance and bad weather and once all three wheels are on the ground the fun really starts! I’m going to bash the hell out of the circuit for a couple of hours before I’ll feel happy, rules or not. :D
riverrock, AlanC, Rob L and 1 others liked this
By lobstaboy
I interpret the 90-day rule the other way round. Touch and goes are not acceptable. They should be full stop landings in both nose wheel and tail wheel aircraft.
By Lockhaven
lobstaboy wrote:I interpret the 90-day rule the other way round. Touch and goes are not acceptable. They should be full stop landings in both nose wheel and tail wheel aircraft.

Your interpretation of the rule may well be safer, but it is not the legal version of the currency requirements, the rule is exactly as posted early by @riverrock
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this