Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
To be honest, bounce is only really ever down to a little bit of excess airspeed and sudden ‘unplanned AOA’ as the mains touch, the tail lowers, the AOA increases, and the aircraft decides to give a hop.

Even the most rigid undercarriage/tyre pressures won’t give any bounce if the wind over the wings is low enough for the aircraft to stop flying.

That’s why a three pointer (or ever so slightly tail first) landing will always reward with a well planted finish.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Congratulations!
TheFarmer liked this
By PeteSpencer
Nice one F.

Best to you, E and the little 'un (and the other little 'un.)

Usual deets asap please: Name, Sex, Weight, Mode of Del......offline if you like...

Peter:thumleft:
By Ibra
One way to kill any boucing tendency is land in sideslip with controls crossed (even with no cross wind) any pitch PIOs gets converted to lateral PIOs wich you can sort quickly at hight speed while sideslipping does give better directional control, obviously this is the wrong way to sort your orginal "bounce problem", usually hard tarmac, which is easily sorted by being at the right speed and angle of attack at flare & touchdown while the "slip in a bouce" requires more skill when it comes to directional control

But still something to keep in mind if the surface is full of hard bumps that are about your wheel size in zero headwind, it may works better with one wheel pressed hard on the surface than two when you hit the bump :lol:

You can use some sideslip on takeoff to keep aircraft on groud if you think it will fly at 20kts or go off course on that big hole 100yards ahead with a hard bumpy surface, rather than fiddling with power, flaps, pitch during ground roll, it will increase some of the takeoff roll though

Killing tiny bounces using sideslips is a small adjustment, the best way to save you propeller or tail from a big bounce to go around and land slightly slower and slightly before touchdown point from first attempt, if you can't go-away :thumleft:
By riverrock
I really don't understand that Ibra. A side slip when touching down would presumably put dangerous side loads on the wheels making any rock contact even worse? I don't think you are describing a wing down approach?

I'm still in the "hasn't yet" group on ground loops in my Jodel - I hope to keep it that was as long as possible...

Congrats F! Mrs RR has 2 1/2 weeks to go :shock: :oops: :eye:
Flyin'Dutch', mick w liked this
By mick w
[quote="Ibra"]One way to kill any boucing tendency is land in sideslip with controls crossed (even with no cross wind) any pitch PIOs gets converted to lateral PIOs wich you can sort quickly at hight speed while sideslipping does give better directional control, obviously this is the wrong way to sort your orginal "bounce problem", usually hard tarmac, which is easily sorted by being at the right speed and angle of attack at flare & touchdown while the "slip in a bouce" requires more skill when it comes to directional control

But still something to keep in mind if the surface is full of hard bumps that are about your wheel size in zero headwind, it may works better with one wheel pressed hard on the surface than two when you hit the bump :lol:

You can use some sideslip on takeoff to keep aircraft on groud if you think it will fly at 20kts or go off course on that big hole 100yards ahead with a hard bumpy surface, rather than fiddling with power, flaps, pitch during ground roll, it will increase some of the takeoff roll though

Killing tiny bounces using sideslips is a small adjustment, the best way to save you propeller or tail from a big bounce to go around and land slightly slower and slightly before touchdown point from first attempt, if you can't go-away :thumleft:[/quote]

Some very strange thinking there Ibra ??? :? :?
By Lockhaven
I might be wrong but I think @Ibra is talking about landing slightly crossed controls so that you land on one wheel therefore reducing the chance of a bounce, although not sure I agree with that rational.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Certainly a techniqueI have never encountered before.
By ChampChump
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@ChampChump

Is the Champ's gear that forgiving and unbouncable? I am sure the Cub or Maule would have bounced in those situations.

But of course :lol: :wink:

I just demonstrate bounces and skips to make everyone else feel comfortable. :wink:

The grow-your-own Farmer family will need to grow some more aeroplanes. Congratulations.
kanga, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Ibra
Lockhaven wrote:I might be wrong but I think @Ibra is talking about landing slightly crossed controls so that you land on one wheel therefore reducing the chance of a bounce, although not sure I agree with that rational.

I just land sideslip all time to some extent, maintain it in flare & ground roll, that "drag config" give more directional control and keeps aircraft stuck on ground even under low angle of attack or rough surface without me having to fiddle with pitch inputs, the only issue is as @riverrock mentioned is side loads on the wheels...

The obvious answer for bounces as everybody mentioned is to be right dead on touchdown speed & point, the two conditions are hard to achieve but they work in steep slow approach, if the point you are touching has big hole on it or the speed is high you go around

Now you can still touchdown fine and while rolling the aircraft bounces at 20kts in hitting a bump in NIL wind days, what do you do? (really not much :pale: )