Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By IainD
Rob P wrote:Odd that. At the recent annual we put 40psi into the mains. Whilst it may have added some twitchiness, I'm convinced it saved the tyre from rolling off under sideways stress.

Rob P

Makes the RV a bit more bouncy on taramc.
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:Odd that. At the recent annual we put 40psi into the mains. Whilst it may have added some twitchiness, I'm convinced it saved the tyre from rolling off under sideways stress.

Rob P

Did you consider that maybe at 25psi you would not have had the outcome you did? :?

On tyre pressures @TheFarmer what are you running yours at?
PeteSpencer liked this
By Lockhaven

Rob P

The Cub tires normally run at 18psi which fine for grass etc, however I drop them to 12psi when operating from tarmac which is about 60% of the flights.
It does help with directional control and also it doesn't bounce as much especially as I have heavy duty undercarriage bungees fitted.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
IainD wrote:Makes the RV a bit more bouncy on taramc.

I have certainly found that if the tyres on our 7 are a bit low she is a sod to wheel on, put air in and its a doddle!
IainD liked this
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:Did you consider that maybe at 25psi you would not have had the outcome you did? :?

Certainly a possibility I have considered. But looking at some markings on the tyre sidewall I also think it possible that the tyre could have rolled off, wrecking itself, the wheel, and possibly a wingtip and/or prop.

An unanswerable question really.

Rob P
PeteSpencer liked this
By Aeronca Alan
Lockhaven wrote:

Rob P

The Cub tires normally run at 18psi which fine for grass etc, however I drop them to 12psi when operating from tarmac which is about 60% of the flights.
It does help with directional control and also it doesn't bounce as much especially as I have heavy duty undercarriage bungees fitted.

My Aeronca feels much happier having increased from 16psi some years ago to 25psi. I operate mostly on tarmac. Aeroncas have oleo suspension.
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:
Rob P wrote:Indeed. Will the thought result in you reconsidering the 40psi?

Any diagnosis of the misfire as yet?

It's certainly a topic for discussion with the co-owner as we fit the replacement spat, yes.

Not a mot from AeroMaintenance, but then today was just a "peut etre". I've booked two nights in The Red Fox, assuming a departure on Thursday afternoon, and I'll bike down to the airfield tomorrow and give them a polite, Franglais chivvying

Rob P
By Hazel C
Rob P wrote:
Hazel C wrote:
In that case I havent yet met her :D and would like to!

Lauren Wilson by name, a quick Google seems to indicate she's doing a lot of ferrying currently.

Not to be confused with someone of the same name who "starred" in Love Island

Rob P

Thanks Rob, i'll look out for her. .....I dont watch Love Island so wouldn't know :lol:
By Rob P
It is certainly a concern. Even though Macron doesn't allow Covid here in Le Touquet

Rob P
By IainD
foxmoth wrote:
IainD wrote:Makes the RV a bit more bouncy on taramc.

I have certainly found that if the tyres on our 7 are a bit low she is a sod to wheel on, put air in and its a doddle!

We typically run our 9 tail wheeler at about 30 PSI if much lower they rub on the spats much higher it’s a bit unforgiving on 3 pointers . I always prefer to semi wheel on anyway.