Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Thing is, will you be flying RPS or QNH? :roll: :D

@Miscellaneous, you will note from the registration that I’ve joined the MauleHigh club so will be flying at precisely 5280 ft :lol: :lol: !

Iceman 8)
Miscellaneous liked this
By Rob L
Iceman wrote:Thanks for the superb video @Rob L. I’d better make new tundra tyres top of the shopping list :lol:.

Iceman 8)

(Not my video) There will be a simple STC. If I could afford a Maule, I would go for the tundra tyres!

I have flown in places similar to those in the video, but not the water ones; those are the next time in the US for me!
Iceman liked this
By AlanC
Hazel C wrote:Its just that the weather over these past three weeks has been so carp, I haven't been down to LG at all, let alone taildrag :cry:

Oh, well, thats aviation in the UK....

It's been a rather patchy few weeks hasn't it, and October in the UK is ever thus. Just remember: same as with nosewheel: keep it straight, keep it flying until the landing attitude, keep keeping it straight, then it'll land itself.
T6Harvard, Hazel C liked this
By TheFarmer
Because they’re rather more wonga than the brief we were given.

Nick - me jealous? Nah.

(OK, maybe a tiny bit :D ).

Iceman - can I have a go please?
Nick, Iceman liked this
By Rob L
Pete L wrote:I did briefly wonder why Maule wasn't on Flintstone's list.

It's not on a Permit, perhaps that's why. They are very capable machines (depending on engine I think). 5 seats, short field, long legs. FD of this parish has a share in one (or used to) that he used to commute to Holland/Germany & back, based at a short farm strip in the Midlands.
Rob
By Pete L
Viv and I remember a fairly wet barbecue there when I think you were one of only two fly-ins - the other being a very spirited low level Husky demo. Is the strip still there?
By Hazel C
AlanC wrote:It's been a rather patchy few weeks hasn't it, and October in the UK is ever thus. Just remember: same as with nosewheel: keep it straight, keep it flying until the landing attitude, keep keeping it straight, then it'll land itself.

Thanks Alan, yep, its the keeping it straight bit that I am finding the most challenging...although last time I flew the 140, I had the landing nailed...it was just keeping the take off straight.....

Hoping for Mother Nature to look kindly upon Cambridgeshire this weekend so that I can get closer to that elusive taildragging solo!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Crash one
I’ve found that a bit of wind from the right is easier to deal with than a dead ahead or no wind at all.
You can see where you are tracking with it crabbed a bit.
My Emeraude (low wing) will float all day in no wind til it runs out of speed and drops like a ton of bricks! It’s me!!!
Flyin'Dutch', Hazel C liked this
By AlanC
Hazel C wrote:it was just keeping the take off straight.....

I know that one... Remember to look into the distance as you accelerate, rather than very close in, which should help damp rudder overcontrolling. Best of all, don't think about it, just use the controls to nail the aircraft to a picture and don't let the picture move! The takeoff only gets better/easier as the aircraft accelerates, so minor wobbles shouldn't last long if not exacerbated. All stuff I'm sure AW is telling you anyway, without wanting to double up on his teaching!
Hazel C, Miscellaneous liked this
By Hazel C
AlanC wrote:
Hazel C wrote:it was just keeping the take off straight.....

I know that one... Remember to look into the distance as you accelerate, rather than very close in, which should help damp rudder overcontrolling. Best of all, don't think about it, just use the controls to nail the aircraft to a picture and don't let the picture move! The takeoff only gets better/easier as the aircraft accelerates, so minor wobbles shouldn't last long if not exacerbated. All stuff I'm sure AW is telling you anyway, without wanting to double up on his teaching!

Yep, i'm trying now to keep looking at something (a well placed tree if on 28) in the distance... If we can get consistent weather (haha!) I'm sure it wont take me too long to nail it! By the way, AG is teaching me, not AW :D