Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Why money, FD?

It’s a quick way to get back to park/backtrack*, and it takes a lot of pressure off the tail spring and lower longerons at this time of year when bumpier grass is baked and unforgiving. If anything, it saves expensive repair bills.

Admittedly it’s not such a great idea with a strong or gusting wind from behind, but in that situation, one has normally landed short, thereby not needing a long taxy anyway.
By Flyin'Dutch'
@TheFarmer

Because I suspect that regularly tail up taxying* is more likely to end up with a propstrike or worse than just being a tame sap.

It looks spectacular!

*I am not talking about just straight ahead, I am talking about going round corners and parking up properly.
Kemble Pitts liked this
By Crash one
If you are capable and in the habit of taxiing tail up, going round corners isn’t going to be much more of a problem. Again, what has lots of money got to do with it? I would think an expensive ground loop with an inexperienced pilot is more likely.
TheFarmer liked this
By proteus
Having a suspicion about something doesn't correspond to a clear stated need to have a lot of experience and money to be able to do it.

I'd be really interested to know the figures for people who do tail up taxi and what percent have prop strikes compared to those who do not. My guess is that it may not be massively different, as people comfortable with the aircraft handling at low speeds are less likely to prop strike in a ground loop or poor landing,

Reading on the supercub forums it is noted that you see a number of expensive low time tailwheels with even lower time props for sale. The guess being that the owner has bought one, scared himself landing it, or had an incident, kept it for a while then decided to get rid as they're afraid to fly it.

There are plenty of skills and extra rewards I think flying a tailwheel, and times where having these skills can be useful. For instance, yesterday I landed at a little private strip where the mown grass was only a couple of feet wider than my undercarriage either side. Tail low wheel landing and keeping the tail up until pretty much stopped made it far easier to keep out of the long grass and keep to the mown bits.
By Crash one
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@proteus
@Crash one
@TheFarmer

Go on, entertain us with your tail up taxy videos. :D

I for one enjoy watching them.

Having flown 3hrs 30mins since a ten month lay off I’m not about to entertain you or anyone else!! :clown:
By TheFarmer
TheFarmer wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@proteus
@Crash one
@TheFarmer

Go on, entertain us with your tail up taxy videos. :D

I for one enjoy watching them.

I don’t see what’s entertaining about it. It’s just a quicker way to get across the ground, with a better forward view, less rear end hammering, better steering (from prop wash) and perfectly safe when there’s little wind.

Most of the time the tail is only actually a foot above the ground, as opposed to being right up, and with the aircraft pitch gently controlled with both the elevator and power.

The bit where it can all go wrong is at the end of the tail-up taxy; when the prop wash stops, and the tail sinks. Forward stick needs to be converted to back stick (or neutral stick depending on strength of tailwind) as soon as gravity has dropped the tail after power is reduced. This is also the point where the a/c is still travelling relatively fast and it’s effectively the same stage as just touching down a three-pointer, so caution is needed with any swing.

Also, a particularly fast tail up taxy has a horrible stage where you’ve reduced the power, and you have to wait for the tail to drop. Back-stick at this point (too early) risks getting airborne, and brakes risk a nose-over (without any thrust over the elevator to keep it down). It’s a case of simply sitting and waiting for the tail to lower. Then you’re able to brake, and get the stick back in your lap again.

Have I bored you to sleep yet?! :D

As I said, it’s not something I do on a gusty day, but in calm or light winds it’s pretty safe. 8)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By foxmoth
Try putting the prop vertical then lifting the tail, on most tailwheel aircraft you need to go a LONG way before the prop will touch!
By Crash one
foxmoth wrote:Try putting the prop vertical then lifting the tail, on most tailwheel aircraft you need to go a LONG way before the prop will touch!

If you do that, put chocks behind the wheels or it will roll backwards as the CofG gets in front of the wheels!
By Ibra
foxmoth wrote:Try putting the prop vertical then lifting the tail, on most tailwheel aircraft you need to go a LONG way before the prop will touch!

Depends on type and airspeed + prop wash on the tail but in the Cubs & Maules it's a very long way indeed, the only way to get prop strike by hard pressing the breaks on power or tilting after hitting a deep hole...

On Turbulents the tail is just so light that you may need someone to hold it for you, the stick should not go forward in any configuration :lol:
By proteus
Steve Henry shows how much tail up you can have on some and still have adequate prop clearance. I would imagine pointing down that far would certainly get your attention.
By foxmoth
Crash one wrote:

If you do that, put chocks behind the wheels or it will roll backwards as the CofG gets in front of the wheels!

I often do this with new tailwheel pilots to show them the prop strike angle and never yet found an aircraft trying to roll backwards.
By Flyin'Dutch'

In a static situation it is a long way to go, when you are rolling and it is coming up the momentum will make that long way seem very short, I am sure.

So far never nosed one over.

Maybe I am too cautious and need TRT*

*Tailwheel Retraining Therapy
By Crash one
foxmoth wrote:
Crash one wrote:

I often do this with new tailwheel pilots to show them the prop strike angle and never yet found an aircraft trying to roll backwards.

Perhaps I over did it, the prop wasn’t vertical so the tail was prob a lot higher.