Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Hazel C , sounds like a very good day! A challenge with a new airfield to contend with but a successful return to the skies, well done! When are you next airborne?
I had a great day today. Back for more on Saturday. Daren't check the weather forecast yet :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', Hazel C liked this
By JAFO
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Husky - powerful Cub, pleasant

I was enjoying your post until I spotted the mistake above which, clearly, should read, Husky - the best thing that has ever happened. :thumright:
By kanga
I'm in the middle of the slow process of digitising slides from the '60s. This thread has prompted me to post another Cessna 140 picture. The C140 is actually the older of the 2 aircraft in the image :)

By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JAFO wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Husky - powerful Cub, pleasant

I was enjoying your post until I spotted the mistake above which, clearly, should read, Husky - the best thing that has ever happened. :thumright:

But presumably not the Beagle variety....? :lol:

Ian
JAFO liked this
By Hazel C
T6Harvard wrote:@Hazel C , sounds like a very good day! A challenge with a new airfield to contend with but a successful return to the skies, well done! When are you next airborne?
I had a great day today. Back for more on Saturday. Daren't check the weather forecast yet :lol:

Great to hear that you had a good day too T6. Thanks, it was indeed a good day. Was going to go back down today, but an aeros comp going on....not fancying flying a C140 around when others are doing impossible things with Extras and Pitts, together with me not feeling the greatest are two parts of the cheese lining up that I didnt fancy taking any further! So head ruled. But next weekend hopefully.....

Ps, i'm actually next flying this Sunday, FI check in the Grob to get current in that again.
Last edited by Hazel C on Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hazel C
A4 Pacific wrote:Hi Hazel.

For most if not all taildraggers, and certainly a C140. As has just been said, don’t think of it as ‘flaring’. Close the throttle, then look all the way down to the far end of the runway and keep repeating to yourself. “Hold it off. Hold it off. Hold it off. Hold it off.” Whilst keeping the aircraft pointing down your direction of travel with your ‘happy feet’ on the rudder.

Once the aircraft’s done flying, it will settle nicely on to the runway. Almost certainly in a perfect three point attitude.

Try to touch down before the aircraft’s finished flying, and lowering the tailwheel will increase the wing’s angle of attack causing it to fly again. That’s not really a ‘bounce’.

Of course wheelers are different!

Hi a4 Pacific,
Many thanks for your advice, I shall indeed think of it like that, and not like flaring and see what happens. As was discussed on one of the previous n pages above, I tend to overthink what I am doing. Your suggestion sounds much simpler :)
By Lockhaven
Hazel C wrote:
A4 Pacific wrote:Hi Hazel.

For most if not all taildraggers, and certainly a C140. As has just been said, don’t think of it as ‘flaring’. Close the throttle, then look all the way down to the far end of the runway and keep repeating to yourself. “Hold it off. Hold it off. Hold it off. Hold it off.” Whilst keeping the aircraft pointing down your direction of travel with your ‘happy feet’ on the rudder.

Once the aircraft’s done flying, it will settle nicely on to the runway. Almost certainly in a perfect three point attitude.

Try to touch down before the aircraft’s finished flying, and lowering the tailwheel will increase the wing’s angle of attack causing it to fly again. That’s not really a ‘bounce’.

Of course wheelers are different!

Hi a4 Pacific,
Many thanks for your advice, I shall indeed think of it like that, and not like flaring and see what happens. As was discussed on one of the previous n pages above, I tend to overthink what I am doing. Your suggestion sounds much simpler :)

And make sure your approach speed is correct to start with, I know a lot of schools/instructors teach flying faster on the approach than what the AFM recommends as a safety buffer, which is wrong.
Hazel C liked this