Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Hazel C
I began my tailwheel conversion training at Little Gransden on Saturday in a Cessna 140. I am absolutely, totally smitten; loved every minute of it. It took a while to get used to a totally different aircraft, and there were a few bouncy landings, but hey, it was only my first session!

Looking forward to the next trip tomorrow... :D
Paul_Sengupta, WelshRichy, JonnyS and 24 others liked this
By Charles Hunt
I'm not sure about the mystique either. Yes in a Tiger Moth with a tail skid and no brakes taxiing will be difficult in anything but a benign wind, but in anything with manageable brakes you should be OK. For we leisure pilots if the wind is getting bad enough to cause ground handling problems we'd probably stay at home anyway.

Trying to steer straight with the tailwheel on the ground is a mug's game, get the tail wheel up, a stab or two on the rudder to get pointed in the right direction and away you go. Make sure you get the tail up far enough so you don't get launched off a bump onto the back end of the drag curve, then ease back on the stick and take flight.
By oldbiggincfi
Today I looked on "Plane Finder" to see what was passing over my house .
Only the Biggin spitfire and some commercial stuff showed up .
Pleased to see light aviation activity getting back but apart from something from Redhill "sqwaking" 3767 non other identified .
Looking further afield around Lasham and Peterborough was a temendous amount of Glider activity indentified by Flarm.
In the gliding world Tailwheel is not a alien species .
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:I'm not sure about the mystique either. Yes in a Tiger Moth with a tail skid and no brakes taxiing will be difficult in anything but a benign wind, but in anything with manageable brakes you should be OK. For we leisure pilots if the wind is getting bad enough to cause ground handling problems we'd probably stay at home anyway.

There is no mystique but some of my best flying has been in tailwheel aeroplanes, not because the flying was different for having a tailwheel but tailwheel aeroplanes allow you to go many places that you would not be able to take a nosewheel aeroplane.

And the take off and landing are more challenging and less forgiving than in a nosewheel aeroplane; that requires more skill, precision and concentration. I find that a pleasure and very satisfying on the occasions I get it right.

It also means that there are times that I or ther conditions determine it is not a tailwheel flying day. For that the club has other stuff.

Very lucky.
Lockhaven, Rob L, Hazel C liked this
By Lockhaven
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:There is no mystique but some of my best flying has been in tailwheel aeroplanes, not because the flying was different for having a tailwheel but tailwheel aeroplanes allow you to go many places that you would not be able to take a nosewheel aeroplane.

And the take off and landing are more challenging and less forgiving than in a nosewheel aeroplane; that requires more skill, precision and concentration. I find that a pleasure and very satisfying on the occasions I get it right..

Thats why I bought my own tailwheel aircraft years ago having flown them in my younger days, 30+ years ago :shock:

I also own a 1958 sports car because they are more challenging and fun to drive.
By TheFarmer
It also means that there are times that I or ther conditions determine it is not a tailwheel flying day.

Interesting. I have never considered there to be a day where the wind has been a nose wheel day but not a tailwheel day. If it’s too windy, it’s too windy. I’d say that using a well disciplined taxying/take off/landing method will allow a TW airacct to fly in the same conditions as a NW.

Tail skids and non-braked tail draggers....well that’s a whole different matter though...
AndyR liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
@TheFarmer No doubt more experience and currency but if it is more than 15-20kts I don't like to taxy the Cub with a tailwind.

No such concerns with a nosewheel aeroplane - as I am not Big Tim I won't bore you with the details of windstrenghts that I have flown/taxied in but they were well in excess of that.
By kanga
I started my civil training (after AEF Chippies!) on C140s at a RCAF base, and loved them. Returning to UK to complete my PPL, I found Colts, Cherokees and C150s relatively tame.

Never had to use the strip capability, though: the runways were easily long and wide enough. One of the aircraft in this picture was not a FC aircraft :wink:

Lockhaven, Flyin'Dutch', Charles Hunt and 5 others liked this