Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous, yep, I have it. Yet to fly it though. Early next week should be first flight, hopefully.

Iceman 8)
By Hazel C
Miscellaneous wrote:@Hazel C I was just wondering the other day if you've had a go on tarmac yet?

Not yet Misc, but have asked my FI to have some tarmac practice; Cranners or Duxford.... I have heard that landing taildraggers on tarmac is more difficult....
By Rob L
Hazel C wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Hazel C I was just wondering the other day if you've had a go on tarmac yet?

Not yet Misc, but have asked my FI to have some tarmac practice; Cranners or Duxford.... I have heard that landing taildraggers on tarmac is more difficult....

Why Cranfield or Duxford; shirley they charge a fortune for landing each time?
Why not (temporarily) relocate somewhere much cheaper? Finmere for example?
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:I am a very low hours student so it is really helpful to have a concise write up of the basics, and I like your humorous style!

A couple of humorous quotes from tailwheel texts that I’ve been reading recently.

From Mr. Maule himself on the use of the throttle vernier control during a T&G :-

Trottle Control - If he attempts to add a lot of power in a short time by turning the fine tune vernier, then he will probably still be sitting there turning the knob as they come to cart away what used to be the airplane.

From Harvey S. Plouride on the subject of taxiing on very soft ground :-

. .. the wheels may sometimes be loosened by alternate rapid applications of rudder on each side. However, this is a very delicate manoeuvre, to be accomplished with the finesse of mating porcupines.

:lol:

Iceman 8)
T6Harvard liked this
By Hazel C
Hi Rob,
"Cranners" as in Cranwell preferably as I am also a member there. Only thought about Duxford as its close and obvious...and has the bonus of WW2 aircraft..... :D
By PA28
The secret to keeping it straight on take-off is to line up at the end of the runway and pull forward a few feet to make sure the tailwheel is straight. I set 1500RPM and check the carb heat one last time (Continentals ice up quickly especially on the ground), look at the wind sock to check for a crosswind and apply into wind ailerons.
Look into the distance and pick a feature to aim at, release the brakes with the elevator slightly back smoothly apply full power with sufficient rudder to keep straight it might be necessary to apply a small 'dab' of brake in the first few meters of the ground roll to help keep straight but be very careful not to apply too much or you may nose over, as the speed gets beyond a fast taxy there will be plenty of rudder authority slide your feet down the pedals so you only apply rudder. It is now time to raise the tail to the level flying attitude by pushing forward gently watch out for the P effect at this point so you might require a little more right rudder to keep aiming at the feature, as the speed increases you will require less forward pressure to keep the level attitude and less ailerons into wind, use your peripheral vision to have a quick check of the ASI and when you think it is ready to fly ease back gently on the yoke and you should be flying. Rotate too early and the tailwheel will touch the ground, too late and it will start bouncing or skipping.
Remember if you keep it perfectly straight there is no tendency for the swing to develop. The better job you do keeping it straight the easier it is.
By davef77
Iceman wrote:@Hazel C, I haven’t read the previous n pages prior to my recent posts. Has anyone pointed you in the direction of a decent text on the subject ?

The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S, Plourde is a bit of a bible, and may help your understanding no end as it is well written and easy to understand.

Iceman 8)

Langweische - “Stick and Rudder” :thumleft:
GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By Hazel C
Hi All, Sorry been silent for ever it seems, but we all know why theres been no flying! Anyway, good news is that i'm getting back into the C140 seat tomorrow to carry on where I left off in Oct and hopefully i'll work through a few bouncy landings and it wont take too long to knock the rust off!

Been revising my notes today to get my head back into aviation and taildragging. :D
MichaelP, Highland Park, kanga and 7 others liked this