Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Miscellaneous
@Hazel C I would second @AlanC's view. Prior to getting in to a tailwheel aircraft I read a couple of books on the theory and then made the mistake of trying to work out what was happening and what I should do to control it. Needless to say there isn't time for that and the results were rather comical. How was it fixed? Simple really, instructor sorted by saying just keep it straight, and I did. :?

Still don't understand how. :lol:

Don't overthink it. :thumright:
Hazel C, ChampChump liked this
By IainD
Hazel C wrote:
AlanC wrote:
Hazel C wrote:it was just keeping the take off straight.....

I know that one... Remember to look into the distance as you accelerate, rather than very close in, which should help damp rudder overcontrolling. Best of all, don't think about it, just use the controls to nail the aircraft to a picture and don't let the picture move! The takeoff only gets better/easier as the aircraft accelerates, so minor wobbles shouldn't last long if not exacerbated. All stuff I'm sure AW is telling you anyway, without wanting to double up on his teaching!

Yep, i'm trying now to keep looking at something (a well placed tree if on 28) in the distance... If we can get consistent weather (haha!) I'm sure it wont take me too long to nail it! By the way, AG is teaching me, not AW :D

Agree with AlanC here just keep it straight. It does become second nature and your feet just do it with little bits of pressure. Its hard to explain but it just sort of clicks at some point. Not every landing in a taildragger is perfect though which is what makes them fun and interesting (and embarrassing when you bounce !)
Take offs I find are easier, just be ready for the torque swing when you power up...again keep it straight and all is well with the world.
Have fun
Hazel C liked this
By Hazel C
Miscellaneous wrote:@Hazel C I would second @AlanC's view. Prior to getting in to a tailwheel aircraft I read a couple of books on the theory and then made the mistake of trying to work out what was happening and what I should do to control it. Needless to say there isn't time for that and the results were rather comical. How was it fixed? Simple really, instructor sorted by saying just keep it straight, and I did. :?

Still don't understand how. :lol:

Don't overthink it. :thumright:

Thanks Misc, I am trying not to overthink it....in fact I havent read any books on tailwheel theory... :-) I think its try, try, try again and it will finally click as it did with landing taildragger...that said though, it is three weeks since I did it :lol:

If I just think, keep it straight, little movements on the rudder, keep an eye on that tree ahead..... keeping it simple.....

As an aside, at Duxford, Classic wings website said that part of their package is a tailwheel theory course.....just out of interest...
By Miscellaneous
Hazel C wrote:If I just think, keep it straight, little movements on the rudder...

I'll confess, for me that is overthinking it. :lol: Being a simple soul any brain power used for thought subtracts from the ability to act. :oops:

In other words, the less I think about my feet the straighter it is. :D
Hazel C, AlanC liked this
By Hazel C
Spent a great afternoon taildragging. Really nailed landing now :D

Just got to crack this taking off business. I think I had a lightbulb moment with my instructor's explanation of what is actually happening vis a vis the tail wheel when pushing the stick and that its all to do with feel and judgement.... Sometimes I do feel particularly thick! :lol:

If I can just get it...I can just feel that elusive solo....
T6Harvard, kanga liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Hazel C, I haven’t read the previous n pages prior to my recent posts. Has anyone pointed you in the direction of a decent text on the subject ?

The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S, Plourde is a bit of a bible, and may help your understanding no end as it is well written and easy to understand.

Iceman 8)
TheFarmer, Hazel C liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi MichaelP,
Thanks for the link. I am a very low hours student so it is really helpful to have a concise write up of the basics, and I like your humorous style!
Hazel C liked this
By Hazel C
Iceman wrote:@Hazel C, I haven’t read the previous n pages prior to my recent posts. Has anyone pointed you in the direction of a decent text on the subject ?

The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S, Plourde is a bit of a bible, and may help your understanding no end as it is well written and easy to understand.

Iceman 8)

Thankyou Iceman, no, no one had offered any book suggestions, so thankyou. Thankyou to Michael P and PA28 too for your suggestions. I came across about one paragraph in Stick and Rudder, but that was not that helpful. Looks like a bit of lunchtime reading for me instead of Vulcan 607!
By Miscellaneous
Iceman wrote:The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S, Plourde is a bit of a bible, and may help your understanding no end as it is well written and easy to understand.

You been having a reread in light of the recent purchase, by any chance? :wink: