Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
Takes me ages to check the strobe light.

Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not. Yes, it's working. No, it's not.
Rob P, Danny, Miscellaneous and 2 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Our old girl flashes like a Christmas tree:
No need to leave the strobe beacon on however the electric vacuum pump sound would wake the dead.....

Peter
By tomtytom
we once nearly tricked a fellow friend into grounding his school hired 172 and convincing him his rear beacon was intermittently failing.

My golden rules:
1 always fly with a chart that is at least from this decade.
2 after calculating time on route and what time we need to leave what time we will be getting back add about 1hr on anyway for the inevitable game of aircraft tetris in the hanger and the post flight pack up, paperwork, pint, clean down.
3 Just because someone said so doesn't make it right. One of my instructors once threw of guard one flight. He stopped me on every item of the checklist and said why. why are you checking that. what are you trying to prove and what does the results you see mean?
4 When the missus reckons its my turn to wash up she's usually/always right.
5 No matter how hard I try I cant get a flight jacket with the handy pen pockets on the sleeve to match to shorts and converse shoes. I stopped trying ages ago on that one.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By oldbiggincfi
Make sure the tyres are pumped up to the correct pressure :shock:

So when you've done your greaser and then applied brakes , the tyres keep turning , tear the inner tube , have a puncture and block the runway :roll:
By Rob P
Crikey! Is that what happens at the correct pressure? :shock:

Rob P
flybymike liked this
By Josh
If you fly a number of different aircraft, take a moment to remind yourself of the visual picture on the ground. Saves:

1. Flaring at 20ft and going round
2. “Firm” arrivals
3. Buying the beer all night
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob L
rusty eagle wrote:
Add Continental C90 to that list. I had carb icing on full power climb in a cub one January.

I just spent a while trying to sort out whom to quote; forgive me if I get my snipping/quoting wrong.

FD mentioned O-200 and rustyeagle mentions C90...I will add A-65 A-75 C-80 C-125 and in fact any of the "old" small Continental engines with the kidney tanks...keep carb heat ON (ROG) from the downwind checks until you are parked up and shut down.
Carb ice on these engines is prevalent in all conditions.
Rob
By Flyin'Dutch'
Dave W wrote:The probability of late-breaking paranoia about the Master switch triples as soon as you put the cockpit cover on.

For routine operations which are therefore not well registered in the short term memory and can cause anxiety after departure I have found two things that work well.

1) When undertaking said routine action do something specific that time, i.e. look at watch and note time, or look at something else deliberately so both actions are then registers in brain.

or

2) Take picture with phone, when in doubt look at picture with time.

Working well and saves return journeys without point (aka pointless journeys) and waking up at night for a pee then to remember that one cannot remember for then not being able to go back to sleep.
TheFarmer, seanxair liked this
By Gertie
PeteSpencer wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
Before making any aeronautical decision, always run through my mind the phrase "at the subsequent board of inquiry".

G

This thesis applies shirley to the entire working life of any professional?

In my case substitute 'Coroner's Court' or 'Old Bailey'

Peter :roll:

Which is why I have never worked on safety critical systems.

Which you may regard as selfish of me, because somebody has got to do it.
By seanxair
So just to get this ^^^ above straight. If I photograph myself having a pee at 2am and wake again at 4am and look at the photo I will know I've had a pee and not need another one? Result!!
By Gertie
Rallye wrote:I never fly with a child without a written agreement from both parents.

I have said to some couples who've wanted to come for a ride:

"I'll take you both together if that's what you want.

"But there are some parents who won't both go in the same light aircraft if they're leaving their children on the ground."

To which the response on one occasion was "we trust you" and they both came. And on another occasion was "see what you mean" and only one of them came. Their choice, I just wanted to make sure they made it deliberately.
By Gertie
Miscellaneous wrote:What adds to the fascination, is that many with golden rules willingly break them

I have decided not to do that, I have decided that it's pointless having a rule if I don't follow it.

Which on one occasion resulted in me calling the refueller because dipping the tanks showed one gallon less than the number I had written down.

With conservative numbers used in the planning, and a higher reserve than the legal or club requirements, and the dipping wasn't accurate to a gallon anyway.

But if I broke that rule on that day, which one would be next? Weight? Weather minimums?