Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9
User avatar
By lobstaboy
#1783479
My reaction to various recent threads made me realise im probably quite cautious. I've a few golden rules or personal habits that I've adopted after an experience has made me think, "I don't want to do that again!"
- I don't fly in an SEP over water
- I don't hand prop aeroplanes, mine or anyone else's
- I always try to use the full runway length and refuse intersection take-offs
- I always plan a cross country route first on a paper chart even when a GPS moving map is going to be my primary in flight nav tool

Wuss? Or sensible? You decide.

Also what do you think I should add to my list?
kanga, T6Harvard liked this
User avatar
By Rob P
#1783481
We each have our own perception of risk. Yours are greater than most of us I would suggest, and nothing wrong with that, though you are missing out on a lot of rewarding experiences.

The idea of planning on paper chart first does appear a little bizarre. What's the thinking?

Personally my "Golden Rules" have mostly related to people I prefer not to fly with.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By NDB_hold
#1783482
I don’t fly single pilot IFR with a small child without another adult.

(Small child is now 16, but this rule came after trying to juggle two radio frequencies and constant questions from the right hand seat in IMC near some big hills with no autopilot...)
T6Harvard liked this
User avatar
By Miscellaneous
#1783483
lobstaboy wrote:Wuss? Or sensible? You decide.

Neither. IMO you are eliminating risks as an emotional response, rather than logical, that are so small they are insignificant in terms of the overall risks of flying GA. :D

I will, however, defend your right to do so. :thumright:
Dominie liked this
By JodelDavo
#1783489
Just like driving on UK roads, my main rule is to protect myself from all the idiots out there, of which there are many...

Has stood me in good stead for 36 years. :thumleft:
Last edited by JodelDavo on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
#1783490
My golden rules are:

Always follow the checklist and procedures
Always check the NOTAMs
Always check the weather and alternates
Keep abreast of Skywise notices
Read AOPA and GASCO briefings
Rob P, PeteSpencer, kanga and 2 others liked this
User avatar
By Flyin'Dutch'
#1783494
Don't sit in the back unless flying commercially or they are competent, current and very well known to me from previous flying experience.
No more than 10 kts tailwind or landing.
Field never shorter than x2 T/O distance required. Ditto Landing.
No longer water crossing with kids than absolutely required.
When disturbed (no giggling) during preflight go back one item.
Check oil/fuel/hatches always yourself
No hard IFR
2 Approaches and landing attempts, if not in go elsewhere or wait for conditions to change.
Carb Heat cold after touch down or on go-around.
Never change tanks after the run-up. If you find you have to change tanks, do another run-up.
Always use all tanks before taking off.
Tow bar in my hand/against hangar wall/baggage compartment/or when aeroplane in hangar then as chock across wheel. I.e. only connected to jalopy when towing
Never take off with less than an hour fuel, even for a hop or a few ccts.
No scud running.
Speak up when unhappy (now there's a surprise!)
Always check weather and NOTAMS on electronic device so you have 'evidence' you did.
Ring Text OH after landing.
Avoid OHJs where possible.

That's all I think. :D
AlanC, T6Harvard liked this
User avatar
By David Wood
#1783499
Many would call these things Personal Minima. Most would agree that having Personal Minima is a good thing and promotes more thoughtful flying and more effective risk-management.

Two things, however:

The first is that the clue is in the name. They are personal to you or me, not to him or her. Therefore, whilst any one of us legitimately might say “Ooooh, I’d never do that” we need to be cautious about mounting our high horses too readily in order to condemn someone else.

Secondly they are not fixed in stone for ever. I apply various sets of Personal Minima to myself, the sets apply to the different kinds of flying I do, for example, VFR or IFR; going places or local bimbling; solo, flying friends and family, flying the public (ie charity flights); or instructing. They are all different and they all adjust from time to time, particularly with the level of my currency.

And my minima won’t apply to you, or anyone else!
Last edited by David Wood on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lobstaboy, Smaragd, JAFO and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By skydriller
#1783501
lobstaboy wrote:- I always plan a cross country route first on a paper chart even when a GPS moving map is going to be my primary in flight nav tool


This one Id say is a bit odd... but you dont say what kind of GPS, and back in the days before tablet based flight planning apps I used to do the same thing if I was using my trusty Garmin196 and/or the GPS in the aeroplane...

However, using something like SD (other apps available) is just the Ds Bs...I like maps and like to draw a line because, well, I like doing it and it gives me a different perspective, so Im with you there... but SD would be my primary planning tool as the map is 100% up to date and has everything to affect my flight on it right there...

Regards, SD..
Last edited by skydriller on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lobstaboy, Rob P liked this
User avatar
By lobstaboy
#1783502
Miscellaneous wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:Wuss? Or sensible? You decide.

Neither. IMO you are eliminating risks as an emotional response, rather than logical, that are so small they are insignificant in terms of the overall risks of flying GA. :D

I will, however, defend your right to do so. :thumright:


Emotional response maybe, but they are all the result of something bad that has happened to me and I don't want to put myself in the same situation again.

The paper chart thing, for example and to answer Rob question, is because I need the reassurance (emotional) that if I end up during the flight having to rely on the paper chart then I know that my planned route 'works' on paper - good visual reference points, for example - so that I am not fazed by the transition.
Plus I like maps...
skydriller, Rob P, kanga and 1 others liked this
User avatar
By Gertie
#1783505
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Never take off with less than an hour fuel, even for a hop or a few ccts.

That's one of mine (in the "never plan to land with less than an hour fuel" version).

Another is "never fly an amphibian". I am aware that there are people who do so perfectly safely every day but I'm never going to achieve their level of training and currency in water flying.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
#1783508
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Carb Heat cold after touch down or on go-around.

Really?

I always pop carb heat to cold at 300ft to avoid potential for rich cut in the event of a go round / aborted landing?

I have to stress that I’m not saying you are wrong. Just interesting to note differing methods.
Flyin'Dutch', T67M, evanscm3 liked this
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 9