Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
Though our new home is far from a grass strip (Three vast tarmac runways - or is that six?) it is run by gliding chaps and has a refreshing air of freedom and personal responsibility after the stultifying atmosphere of our previous base. (rules for rules sake, lots of laminated notices pinned up everywhere, vast online form to fill out before blowing your nose)

The arrival at the new airfield made me laugh as I found a glider and tug parked about one third of the way down the into-wind runway and not looking like they were going anywhere, any time soon. Knowing the decision whether to land over the top of them or choose another bit of tarmac was totally mine and wouldn't result in a snippy e-mail from someone whose knowledge of flying is negligible was truly cheering

Freedom though does bring with it responsibilities, and I fear that in this case the taildragger pilot crossed the line.

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
rf3flyer wrote:@ROG Welcome to the wonderfully relaxed freedom of uncontrolled grass strips.
It's a different environment to what I presume you are used to/comfortable with, but persevere and you may grow to like it.

From the responses I conclude @ROG is not the only one unfamiliar with unlicensed grass strips and such practices. Not a criticism, just a fact, as is my unfamiliarity of flying in and around controlled airspace. :oops:

Mental note to self not to assume all are familiar.

@Rob P I would need to hear his story before I could concluded he crossed the line.

I'd like to know, for example, where he just 'appeared' from? :D
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:I'd like to know, for example, where he just 'appeared' from? :D

From the description, he started from a position behind ROG who ISTR flies a Cherokee with negligible rear vision, and overtook him on ROG's right, his left, in the process of which ROG started to move and made his radio call.

@ROG Out of interest, was this a fast taildragger or a slow one?

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:From the description, he started from a position behind ROG...

Exactly as I read it. :thumright: So he was there on the runway all the time and did not 'appear' after Rog started his take off roll. :wink:
By Rob P
He 'appeared' in ROG's vision at that point. And if he really wasn't using his radio then ROG had no prior knowledge of his presence.

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
@Rob P accepted. :thumright:

However by his own admission Rog was heads in and looked up as he started to move. Reads to me he subconsciously concluded the runway was his and did not properly check sufficiently prior to commencing his roll. Am I beyond that error, nope. :oops: However had I made it I would like to think I would have learned from it and not apportioned blame 100% on the taildragger pilot. :D

Consider; had there been a collision how would the AAIB report have read?

As I said earlier not ideal, but an aviation oops as happens from time to time. I don't think it warrants Rog's outburst.
seanxair, Rob P, patowalker liked this
By ROG
MISC-exactly. I"m in the left hand seat of a cherokee . --no wing mirrors..
The basic point was that he SHOULD NOT have been on the runway at all. A/G briefed me--as i said in my initial note., and told me to only enter when the runway area was clear, He either didn"t bother to talk to A/G or he ignored it---wrong on both counts.
if I enter a runway I always check left and right. --which I DID ON ENTERING THIS STRIP. I was
at a dead end when I commenced my roll which I advised over the radio.
No point in reiterating the saga--I"M putting it down as another experience --but still wonder why some people cant advise you of their movements and intentions.--just common sense and courtesey.
By Miscellaneous
@ROG your last post reinforces my opinion.
ROG wrote:The basic point was that he SHOULD NOT have been on the runway at all. A/G briefed me--as i said in my initial note., and told me to only enter when the runway area was clear, He either didn"t bother to talk to A/G or he ignored it---wrong on both counts.

The above reinforces you may have a misunderstanding of the authority and responsibility of both the radio operator and the pilot at an A/G airfield. Your refusal to consider any of the points raised in any number of posts and absolute insistence he was totally in the wrong, together with you denying any responsibility is rather worrying.
By skydriller
IM PRETTY SURE I KNOW WHO rog IS TALKING ABOUT....

ITS THIS GUY ISNT IT :

By oldbiggincfi
ROG wrote:rf3flyer.
As a matter of interest can you tell us how many strips you"ve flown .

STOP digging a big hole .

Back when Biggin was fun there were parallel runways Tarmac & Grass .
Grass for non radio and it worked even with 30 in the circuit .
Average pilot was Joe blogs and not all well heeled school boys .

Some of us learnt to drive without indicators

INDICATE - TURN - LOOK IN MIRROR TO SEE DAMAGE CAUSED .
By rf3flyer
ROG wrote:rf3flyer.
As a matter of interest can you tell us how many strips you"ve flown .

Crikey, I've never been asked that before.
However, a quick trot through my logbook (thank heavens for an Excel copy) indicates about 40. That's strips not visits. My criteria for inclusion was not whether it was grass or tarmac or gravel but whether it was uncontrolled, ie. A/G or, more often than not, non-radio. A few have been farmer's fields complete with cowpats! :)
Last edited by rf3flyer on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.