Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Good Evening,

Unfortunately there is a fairly severe risk that Chiltern Park in Oxfordshire will be forced to close.

If at all possible could you please read the attachment and follow the details to send an email, to hopefully keep the airfield open.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Many Thanks

Oxfordshire Flyer
Cottie liked this
By TheFarmer
Isn’t this a bit like all the mates of a bloke who’s been given notice to vacate his rented flat, all writing to the local council* about the notice that the private landlord has given him?

:scratch:

* I can almost hear the series of ‘right click/delete’ noises coming from the council office from here
Sooty25, PeteSpencer liked this
By MarkOlding
I have just seen a post on face book and it sounds like an evolving situation. It says:

Hi Everyone ,
Chiltern Park Aerodrome - Asset of Community Value (ACV)
As you may already know, we may be forced to close within the next 18 months.
I am therefore applying for Chiltern Park Aerodrome to become an ACV.
This may help to protect the airfield into the future or at least the next 5 years.
Can I please ask of you for a little time to send an email to our local council department dealing with the application.
And also copy me in at chilternairsports@gmail.com to help me gauge support.
Please head your email with application reference: AoCVN\100018 Chiltern Park Aerodrome.
Address your correspondence to Sarah Gladwin at communityenablement@southandvale.gov.uk
You do not have to write an essay, just to say that you support the application and or that you learned to skydive here, worked here or used our facilities or just visit to watch us.
You may know others that may wish to support us, the more the merrier.
It would be a shame to loose this valuable community asset, especially after 32 years..
Thanks in anticipation.
Dennis & Julie

Seems like its worth a try.
By Dave W
What are Assets of Community Value?
Assets of Community Value (ACV) form a part of the Community Right to Bid.

It acts as the first stage in identifying and nominating buildings or other assets such as land that have a main use or purpose of furthering the social wellbeing or social interests of the local community, and could do so into the future.

Once listed as Assets of Community Value with the local authority, the local community will be informed if they are listed for sale within the five year listing period. The community can then enact the Community Right to Bid, which gives them a moratorium period of six months to determine if they can raise the finance to purchase the asset.
By VFRBimbler
I like Chiltern Park. Flown in a few times. Always a friendly welcome and I hope this amenity is not lost to GA and all the other good work that goes on at the site.

I do though need educating in how an ACV helps in this case. I thought from earlier posts and as mentioned above that this is a landlord / tenant issue and that the landlord wants to use the land for something else, rather than wanting to sell the land. If there is no proposed sale Involved, there is no listing about which to inform the community and therefore no decision to be made about whether or not to bid.

... or is there an ulterior motive and a more long term strategy - get shot of everything aviation related etc. with a view to being able to maximise the value of the land and then sell?

However, even if that is the intention, is there anything that can be done to stop the change of use in the meantime? If not, the land will already have ceased to be an airfield at the time of the subsequent sale listing and, if acquired by the community, would mean the airfield having to be resurrected, which may not be attractive for all sorts of reasons, probably including the costs.

As alluded to in Sooty25’s thread, it would be great if airfields had some form of protected status in the first place rather than have to try and apply various laws, regulations and the like which might make things difficult for land owners to change the use or sell but is not really clear cut.

I still hope Dennis and Julie succeed in their efforts and wish them all the best in this respect.
By NDB_hold
@VFRBimbler I don’t think this is going to be another housing estate - it’s pristine farmland all around.

Never had to deal with Dennis direct although he appears to have been cooperative with Benson despite the inconvenience of being in the MATZ.
By Sooty25
Having just read the article linked to above, I do wonder if it has just become too successful.

Letting someone fly their own microlight off your field, and then 30 years later you've got;

turbo props climbing out for parachutes,

a stearman doing wingwalks,

"night-time training ground for the Thames Valley Police helicopter unit and the Thames Valley Air Ambulance as well as an emergency landing and training centre for the Puma and Chinook squadrons"

breaches of planning

15 gyrocopters, six aircraft

The very last thing I want to see is an airfield with planning consent closed, but I can also see the hassle the land owner might have put up with over the years from locals and planners due to over development of the airfield. I'd love to hear the "off the record" comment of the landowner.
By andytk58
Done. Hopefully it will make a difference. Its airfields like these we desperately need to save.

Question: can an ACVN prevent a landlord kicking a tenant out of a building/land.
Imagine it was a treasured local theatre protected by ACVN. Could the landlord still evict the actual theatre company and just leave the building empty, even if the ACVN prevents the sale of the facility.
This is what appears to be the case here.

Andy
By Pete L
Sooty25 wrote:Having just read the article linked to above, I do wonder if it has just become too successful.

Letting someone fly their own microlight off your field, and then 30 years later you've got;

turbo props climbing out for parachutes,

a stearman doing wingwalks,

"night-time training ground for the Thames Valley Police helicopter unit and the Thames Valley Air Ambulance as well as an emergency landing and training centre for the Puma and Chinook squadrons"

breaches of planning

15 gyrocopters, six aircraft

The very last thing I want to see is an airfield with planning consent closed, but I can also see the hassle the land owner might have put up with over the years from locals and planners due to over development of the airfield. I'd love to hear the "off the record" comment of the landowner.

Halton had very few noise complaints until the glider tugs moved in. I did wonder if that was what had happened here. The landlord at our strip I think does OK out of the land compared to using it for sheep, but I can't think of the last time we had a complaint.