Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
I sold both of my flying suits, one inherited, one bought, and (oxford comma) unworn, to forumites many years ago. :roll:

And I gave my Nomex gauntlets free of charge back to the Forumite I bought them from. (too big. too sweaty too thick).

Thats the gauntlets not the forumite.................

Peter :lol:
scd975 liked this
By Dominie
kanga wrote:
Dave W wrote:"Romper suit" is what it's also called. :D

ISTR Aunty Leia calling hers (for the draughty XAir) her 'grobag' :)

That's the RAF term. It really annoyed aircrew if you said that in front of them! :D

Some were so punchy that they wore their grobag even on days when they weren't flying.
kanga liked this
By defcribed
Flying suits in light GA smack of taking oneself a wee bit too seriously.

I like to try and look like the unlikeliest pilot in the world, although in the warmer weather 'tailwheel uniform' (shorts and flip-flops) is a favourite.
By jrp
Not just flying of course, trendy surfers don't wear wet suits: chain mail is their thing, just like flip flops in a Cub.

Seriously people, what is wrong with appropriate clothing?????
JAFO liked this
By Human Factor
Without getting into a loafers or no loafers debate, I’ve witnessed a crash where the nomex grobag saved a life (homebuilt). I have also met an individual who wasn’t wearing one and subsequently regretted it (C of A type).

I’m the cautious sort and I probably overdress most of the time. I wish I could see the future, like some here seem to be able to, and I may not have to. :wink:

You pays your money I suppose.
PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
Human Factor wrote:Without getting into a loafers or no loafers debate, I’ve witnessed a crash where the nomex grobag saved a life (homebuilt). I have also met an individual who wasn’t wearing one and subsequently regretted it (C of A type).

I’m the cautious sort and I probably overdress most of the time. I wish I could see the future, like some here seem to be able to, and I may not have to. :wink:

Agree 100%

Flying in the UK 95% of the time, whatever the weather I never wear shorts or flip flops or even loafers.

All my clothes are cotton and shirts have long sleeves.

And I wear a pair of ex-Brenda gloves: (I’ve seen the photographs .)

Which reminds me I need to buy a new pair of white leather gloves; the present pair now 15 years old and the fingers have gone........

They’re £50 a pair now!!!!!!!!

Peter
JAFO liked this
By PeteSpencer
Human Factor wrote:
Which reminds me I need to buy a new pair of white leather gloves; the present pair now 15 years old and the fingers have gone........

Save your money. They’ll work on touchscreens now. :mrgreen:

And they do but they are seriously naff now .

Gonna treat myself to a new pair

Peter
By Lefty
defcribed wrote:Flying suits in light GA smack of taking oneself a wee bit too seriously.

I like to try and look like the unlikeliest pilot in the world, although in the warmer weather 'tailwheel uniform' (shorts and flip-flops) is a favourite.

You've succeeded !! :D :thumright:
defcribed liked this
By defcribed
jrp wrote:"Flying suits in light GA smack of taking oneself a wee bit too seriously."

So which other bits of aviation should you not take seriously?

Are you telling me you're not aware of the not-so-subtle difference between taking something (e.g. aviation) seriously and taking oneself (a wee bit too) seriously?
By defcribed
Human Factor wrote:Without getting into a loafers or no loafers debate, I’ve witnessed a crash where the nomex grobag saved a life (homebuilt). I have also met an individual who wasn’t wearing one and subsequently regretted it (C of A type).

Indeed. On a subjective level it depends which risks you want to focus on and try to mitigate. On an objective level it's a question of how likely those things are to happen coupled with the severity of the consequences if they do.

I've always been astounded at the willingness of folks to get into the left seat of a PA28 with someone sat next to them who is overweight, of advancing years, and very definitely not going anywhere quickly in the event of an emergency.

Once on an IR(R) revalidation I had an examiner chew me out for electing to wear shorts in the aeroplane. I didn't react - I let him say his piece about fire risk while I reflected on (a) his enormous immobile bulk between me and the door, and (b) his polyester uniform shirt.