Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Most of my Flying hours have involved Hand swinging ,& 90% of those have been without the help of others , I prefer to do everything myself & not involve others , but I will always accept the offer of a Swing from someone who I know to be competent & capable , such as MichaelP ,thanks for the Swing :thumright: I operate solo from a Private Strip ,so have to do it alone .
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rusty eagle
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I have flown several aeroplanes without electric start and always find hand starting them a pain; would never own one as to my mind they are accidents waiting to happen.

Never have or will swing something with a VW conversion. Nasty.

What's the problem with the VW conversion FD?

I flew behind one with Leburg ignition for a few years, and not aware of any problems.
By TheFarmer
JonathanB wrote:The term used on this thread is specifically mentioned in the rules of conduct as unacceptable. I have m :thumleft: odified the thread name and ask you not to use it. (Unfortunately the mods are not here 24/7 or it may have been changed sooner).

I’ve changed it again as a compromise.

:thumleft:
Most amusing.

When you use a word specifically mentioned in the code of conduct as being unacceptable, and then get snotty when it is amended, look what happens.

It doesn't matter a jot whether you agree or not - respect for your host suggests you don't do what he has asked you not to.

Otherwise...
Rob P wrote:The proscription of the p-word is arrant nonsense. You know it I know it 99.99% of the contributors know it, and yet it continues for no good reason.

I despair.

Rob P

…sorry, but that's the way it is going to stay, for very good reason in my opinion. Happy to discuss via email or PM if you want.

Ian
johnm, AlanM, PeteSpencer and 1 others liked this
By Rich V
rf3flyer wrote:
MichaelP wrote:NO ONE should swing a live engine without someone in the cockpit. That’s a rule!
At the very least you need someone to prevent the aeroplane moving should a problem occur.

That's a rule is it?
Well here is a rather poor scan of an illustration in the original manufacturer's Flight Manual for my aircraft.

I know, I know, you were talking about aeroplanes with more than just the pilot's seat but it was your absolutism that drew this response.

And just to elaborate, doing it as shown has the advantages that I am standing in the way of the aircraft moving forward, I have my hand on the throttle should action be required and by moving my right hand about half a metre to starboard I can kill the magneto switch!

I know pilots of Cubs who do similar but from the other side for all the same reasons and they, as you know, have more than one seat. So it may be a rule for you but it's not a rule for everyone and for very good reasons.

@TheAdminTeam .... thank you for unlocking this thread :thumright:

@rf3flyer have you ever run the engine at night? I used to hand swing my VP1 from in front of the wing, and operate the throttle and carb heat from that position. And then I ran the engine after dark. The amount of blue flame and the proximity to my person was a revelation!
By James Chan
If you've grown up in London - if your car gets stuck on the road as the clutch has gone, not only will half the traffic on the road horn you loudly making you feel you are the cause of their traffic pile up, the other 99.9% will drive around you leaving you to sort out yourself.

It's the same at airfields. There are great people who will go out of their way to help and that's most kind and appreciated, and others who will continue minding on about their own business. It doesn't necessary mean they are above everybody else though - they might be on a mission to get somewhere.

Too many people are simply busy these days and won't stop unless you're visibly injured.
Last edited by James Chan on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rf3flyer
Rich V wrote:@rf3flyer have you ever run the engine at night?

No. Though I did once run it in a darkened hangar (a very large hangar) to check my magneto timing with a strobe light. Didn't see any flame of any colour.

Out of interest, were your exhaust stubs short 90° bends with the open ends pointing downwards?
By Rich V
rf3flyer wrote:Out of interest, were your exhaust stubs short 90° bends with the open ends pointing downwards?

No, the exhaust pipes for the front cylinders were a 180deg "U" exiting horizontally, and for the rear cylinders they were a straight horizontal pipe; all were round open exhaust pipes, with no fishtailing(?) or perforations, which I suspect your RF3 has. Both pipes pointed straight back at me when propping, hence the exposure to blue flame!

Rich